APOD's 2013 calendar

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
APOD Fan

Re: APOD's 2013 calendar

Post by APOD Fan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 am

Thank you for the beatiful calendar. Great work! APOD is the best.

Bro. Chuck

Post by Bro. Chuck » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Guys...

EXCELLENT job with the calendar.. thank you so much!

My vote is for the large format - separate photo page / grid page -
I've seen several suggestions for annotations and Visible / Observable event posting - I'll raise my hand for that .....

Please keep up the good work, and have a Bless'd year!

Bro. Chuck
:fish:

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks, Beyond! Recall the Retina touch-screen display has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, although I rarely use my tongue or nose to operate it. A stylus held by my teeth is more accurate for the small stuff on the 2048-by-1536px screen.

Sent from my iPatch

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:52 pm

C.L.K., I'm so sorry, but I didn't see your message until today; I don't know how I missed it! Thanks for your kind words and the excellent suggestion!! I'll see if I can do that for the 2014 calendar.

nessmr, thank you! And I'm curious… what kind of puppies?

APOD Fan and Bro. Chuck, thanks for the nice comments, and Bro, for the feedback, too!

Beyond and Psnarf, :lol2:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

memetics
Asternaut

Post by memetics » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks so much for this! I prefer the big calendar format for larger images, and I, too, would appreciate astronomical events and a mini last-month/next-month grid. I have been using the Brown Trout "Astronomy" calendar, which includes various astronomical events; I usually pay attention to the lunar and planetary events and alignments - mainly the new moon, as a previous poster mentioned. An annotated APOD calendar would be a welcome replacement. :-)

-m

Rico 10

Post by Rico 10 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Um calendário maior é mais divertido .. valeu APOD !

Raven
Ensign

Post by Raven » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 am

This is sheerly gorgeous, Owlice. I'm printing copies for myself and friends.

attyler
Asternaut

Post by attyler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 pm

I also like the idea of next month (& previous month) on the current month.
And, please, make the day numerals twice as large and a bolder font for us older folks with fading eyesight!
Otherwise, I can't wait to make my calendar!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 am

Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback! Bigger numbers is a really good idea; I should have thought of that, and I'm now a little embarrassed that I didn't!

Keep those ideas coming; thanks!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 am

owlice wrote:Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback! Bigger numbers is a really good idea; I should have thought of that, and I'm now a little embarrassed that I didn't!

Keep those ideas coming; thanks!
Yes, bigger numbers are a good idea, BUT they don't leave you room to write things to do. Perhaps if the numbers were at the top... or the botton :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

fizikstchr(ret.)

Post by fizikstchr(ret.) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

I wish I had noticed the availability of the calendar sooner, it would have been great to have in my classroom! I, too, would like larger numbers--I think the current placement is good and larger numbers wouldn't take up too much space as long as they aren't too much larger. I tried editing the document in pdf to make the numbers bigger, but couldn't.
I would also like the notations of astronomical events, if you have time. :idea: Perhaps you could ask for volunteers to help with that part. (I would volunteer, but my MS makes me unreliable.) :)

fizikstchr(ret.)

Post by fizikstchr(ret.) » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

i meant to mention that the current layout of the calendar is what I would choose. As boyfoot_bear said, " Moon phases, solstices and equinoxes dates would be great" but I would also like to see dates of meteor showers.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Work has started on the 2014 APOD calendar. It currently includes moon phases, eclipses, meteor showers, conjunctions, oppositions, solstices and equinoxes. Bigger numbers, too. A sample page is shows below; the moon phase icons need to be improved. They are above rather than on the grid to remind people that they, as are all dates/times, are given as UTC, so some dates for the phases will vary.

Suggestions/comments/etc. all cheerfully entertained. Is the calendar missing anything that should be listed?
Sample page for 2014 calendar
Sample page for 2014 calendar

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

owlice wrote:
Work has started on the 2014 APOD calendar. It currently includes moon phases, eclipses, meteor showers, conjunctions, oppositions, solstices and equinoxes. Bigger numbers, too. A sample page is shows below; the moon phase icons need to be improved. They are above rather than on the grid to remind people that they, as are all dates/times, are given as UTC, so some dates for the phases will vary.

Suggestions/comments/etc. all cheerfully entertained. Is the calendar missing anything that should be listed?
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm

neufer, how would you suggest I include him?

Oh! Maybe list his birthday, hmmm? I can do that; thanks for the suggestion!!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 pm

owlice wrote:neufer, how would you suggest I include him?

Oh! Maybe list his birthday, hmmm? I can do that; thanks for the suggestion!!
Maybe on the backside of the back page :?: It's not good to have too much of a good thing. It tends to spoil everything else, due to high expectations. :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

ALAN RORKE

Post by ALAN RORKE » Sun May 12, 2013 7:10 am

owlice wrote:The 2013 APOD calendar is available for download in PDF format (1.6 Mb).

Designed for 8.5" x 11" paper (landscape orientation), the calendar is easily printable. For best printed results, print it double-sided in color on bright white light card stock or 24-lb paper with a spiral or comb (GBC) binding and punch a hole for hanging; many local printing shops (Staples, Kinkos, etc.) offer binding services. Containing some of the best APOD images of 2012, the calendar makes a great inexpensive holiday present! :ssmile:

Since the calendar is in PDF, it can be viewed on devices such as the Kindle and many ereaders.

The last page of the PDF appears upside-down; this is deliberate. When printed, this page serves as the back cover of the calendar and allows one to see thumbnails of all the images in the calendar in the correct orientation (in relation to the front cover).

Happy holidays!

chekellog1010
Asternaut

Post by chekellog1010 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 pm

nessmr wrote:Brilliant! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It's replaced the dreadful one of puppies I got given this year :P
Thanks also for the time :-)

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 pm

You're welcome! It was a pleasure to put it together.

kolinka
Asternaut

Post by kolinka » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:39 am

I apologise for such an insolent question :wink: - but I want to ask, whether it is possible to expect such a brilliant calendar on 2014 also?...

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm

As indicated above, there will be a 2014 calendar. I hope to make it available on November 17.