Help Wanted: Please annotate this image ...

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Help Wanted: Please annotate this image ...

Post by RJN » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:03 am

I am considering using the image "Lily Red" by Todd Salat posted here:
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 25#p192583
for a future APOD. It would help if someone was able to annotate the image for a rollover, possibly labeling a few key features like bright stars, planets, constellations, or the Pleiades (in this case), to help people better the sky. If you do, please use lettering that is large enough to be legible. Please either post the result to this thread, or email it to me. Thanks if you can help!
- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Help Wanted: Please annotate this image ...

Post by geckzilla » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 am

Ooo, I wanna do it. Is the largest file to work with going to be this one?
http://asterisk.apod.com/download/file. ... &mode=view

Edit: Here you go. Constellation lines came from Stellarium, if that matters.
http://geckzilla.com/apod/lily_red_labels.jpg

Let me know if I missed anything or mislabeled anything. Also, if there is a better/bigger image available to use, it would be no problem swapping it with the one I did use.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Excellent! Thank you geckzilla so much! - RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 pm

OK, here is another image that I would be very grateful if someone would annotate. This one would benefit from the ISS modules, arms, robots, attachments, solar panels (etc.) being annotated, rather than stars etc. It has already been approved for APOD use:
busyiss_hadfield_1024.jpg
Oh, a link to this image on the web (twitter) is here: https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/statu ... 76/photo/1 .
Thanks for any help anyone can be!
- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:58 pm

How is this? I don't know how detailed you wanted the labels to be but it gets difficult to label accurately since I'm not one of the persons who engineered the thing. I'm not sure what the part on the lower left corner is. Could be part of an arm.

http://geckzilla.com/apod/kibo_labels.jpg

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm

geckzilla wrote:How is this? I don't know how detailed you wanted the labels to be but it gets difficult to label accurately since I'm not one of the persons who engineered the thing. I'm not sure what the part on the lower left corner is. Could be part of an arm.

http://geckzilla.com/apod/kibo_labels.jpg
Well that's a start but perhaps this is more difficult than I thought. I like the color highlighting! Questions that come to my mind, though, are "What facility is exposed?" and "What module is pressurized?" Also, what is that green thing on the left? It would probably take a good bit of time to investigate these if one didn't know. If someone is an ISS enthusiast, though, they might be able to just list these components from memory. I am reluctant to pose this as a challenge on the NASA APOD, but one idea is to post this challenge to the FB or G+ APOD social mirrors to see if there are any ISS aces there. - RJN

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi RJN, i think you can identify just about anything to do with the ISS at this url full of pictures.http://www.google.com/search?q=iss+pict ... 36&bih=788

The writings kind of small though. But at least it's a start.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:11 pm

This is just one small fraction of the station, of Japanese design, called the Kibo Research Module or Japanese Experiment Module (JEM). The Exposed Facility (EF) is exactly what it sounds like, which is a bunch of containers which are detachable for experiments which need to be exposed directly to space. I've seen pictures of those box shaped objects flanking both sides of the EF in different configurations, sometimes with less boxes and sometimes with more, so I think those may be the experiment modules. I never figured out what the various parts which seem permanently attached to the top of the EF are. Some kind of power sources or electronics? The pressurized module is where the astronauts get to stay and it has two windows on it, one of which the photo was taken through. The cylindrical part labeled pink in the image is just a small part of the pressurized module--a hatch or docking port, I think. There's also an arm which isn't pictured that's used for manipulating the various parts of the EF.

I got most of my information from this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibo_%28ISS_module%29

What green thing are you referring to, RJN? Nothing looks green in the photo to me. There's a part that seems to be wrapped in gold foil. Is that what you meant? It must be part of an experiment.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm

geckzilla wrote: What green thing are you referring to, RJN? Nothing looks green in the photo to me. There's a part that seems to be wrapped in gold foil. Is that what you meant? It must be part of an experiment.
There are these two things toward the left of the image that could pass as a washer-dryer set here on Earth, facing upwards. So in the back of the washer/dryer set, towards the bottom of the image but also towards the camera, there is this baggy-type thing that appears olive-green on my monitor. It is indeed probably part of an experiment. Or it adds fabric softener. Not sure which.

- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm

RJN wrote:
geckzilla wrote: What green thing are you referring to, RJN? Nothing looks green in the photo to me. There's a part that seems to be wrapped in gold foil. Is that what you meant? It must be part of an experiment.
There are these two things toward the left of the image that could pass as a washer-dryer set here on Earth, facing upwards. So in the back of the washer/dryer set, towards the bottom of the image but also towards the camera, there is this baggy-type thing that appears olive-green on my monitor. It is indeed probably part of an experiment. Or it adds fabric softener. Not sure which.

- RJN
Haha, yeah, I can't find much specific information on those. http://iss.jaxa.jp/en/htv/mission/htv-1/payload/
Of course, they are all removable so the washer/dryer set could easily be a refrigerator and freezer later on.

Anyway, from the above link at jaxa.jp I've figured that particular unit is EFU #4. Can't find anything at all with Google except that it has a backup in case its standard payload has any interference, whatever that means.

A good diagram explaining what some of the pieces are, but still nothing about what that particular payload is: http://www.ihi.co.jp/var/ezwebin_site/s ... 90775f.pdf

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 am

Robert,

Still looking for the detailed info on the JEM ISS picture ?

I think I've collected the necessary details, and will try to write them down when I find time... provided you haven't got it from elsewhere already.

Vincent Berseth

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Vincent wrote:Robert,

Still looking for the detailed info on the JEM ISS picture ?

I think I've collected the necessary details, and will try to write them down when I find time... provided you haven't got it from elsewhere already.

Vincent Berseth
No, I have not found them elsewhere. Thanks for your efforts!

- RJN

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 am

OK, here is the modified picture with detailed description below... Link to JPEG file (256 kB)
Is that more or less what you were expecting ? Feel free to ask in case you need some fixes on the picture (text, colors, whatever). I'm sorry I'm not as skilled as Geckzilla at picture edition ! I can also provide you with the original picture file with separate layers (edited with pixlr.com) or a JPG picture with color overlays but no text at all. Here is the loooong story :

As Geckzilla noted already, this picture is taken through one of the 2 windows of the Pressurized Module of the "Kibo" Japanese Experiment Module (JEM) on the ISS. On lower right one sees the Airlock (hatch) of the module that leads to the "terrace" of the Exposed Facility (JEM-EF).

This external part has several ports (EFU, Exposed Facility Units) on which payload experiments can be connected and be exposed to space environment. The payload experiments are assembled on their port with the help of the Remote Manipulator System (JEM-RMS) robotic arm that is part of the JEM. The very end of this arm can be seen at picture top.

Beside mechanical interface, the EFU also provides interface to power, data communication and thermal control. These "services" are provided by various JEM-EF subsystems called ORUs (Orbital Replaceable Units) which are placed on top and bottom of the main structural frame. The ORUs come in two flavors: 8 R-ORUs, mounted on top (some visible on this picture), that are "Robotics compatible", which means they can be replaced - if needed - by the robotic arm, and 4 E-ORUs, that are on the opposite side and can only be serviced through EVA. Note that a spare R-ORU slot is visible right behind the Airlock.

At the far end of the platform, on both sides, are video and lightning systems (VE).

On this picture, 2 payloads are visible, each being 1.8 x 1.0 x 0.8 m.
On port EFU6 is HREP, which combines two experiments from the US Naval Research Laboratory. The nicely looking part with gold foil is RAIDS (Remote Atmospheric and Ionospheric Detection System). This instrument performs photometry observations of the thermosphere and ionosphere over a wide wavelength range (from far infra-red to extreme UV) and focuses on airglow characterization in the 90 to 350 km altitude range. These measurements provide information on temperature and chemical composition in that part of the atmosphere. Since the target altitude for observations is almost comparable to the ISS height, the instrument must perform scans that almost reach "horizontal" direction, hence the opening on the side of the payload.

In the same paylod but not visible is the HICO experiment, standing for Hyperspectral Imager for the Coastal Ocean. It performs visible and near infrared observation of coastal environment. The selected wavelengths can penetrate water and thus probe the whole observed water column. Thanks to accurate spectral resolution (5.7 nm) it can retrieve information about bathymetry, bottom type, chlorophyle content, etc. The obervation is performed downward through an opening on the bottom of the payload.

On port EFU8 is the Japanese MCE (Multi-mission Consolidated Equipment) payload from JAXA. It contains 5 different experiments :
- ISS-IMAP, (Ionosphere, Mesosphere, upper Atmosphere and Plasmashpere mapper), that monitors plasma activity in the extreme upper atmosphere with a visible light spectrometer (http://www.iss-imap.org/)
- JEM-GLISM (Global Lightning and Sprite Measurements), that observers spatial distribution of lightning and associated phenomena
- HDTV that intends to evaluate how long a Commercial Off The Shelf High Definition Camera can survive in space environment
- REXJ (Robot Experiment on JEM) which demonstrates real-time ground remote operation of a robotic system
- and SIMPLE (Space Inflatable Membranes Pioneering Long-term Experiments), the only feature of this payload that is visible on this picture (on far left). This experiment demonstrates inflatable space structures by deploying them once in orbit. The far left structure is the Inflatable Extension Mast (IEM), it has been deployed 1500 mm out of the payload as a part of the experiment. Other inflatable structures have also been successfully deployed, but are not visible on this picture. Among them is the Inflatable Space Terrarium, that must not only deploy, but also demonstrate sufficient air tightness over long term (several months) with no active pressure control, to allow for germination of some seeds (spinach, tomato...) Only temperature is controlled through switching a halogen lamp on and off. Some water is fed to a foam material containing the seeds, and germination is observed with a camera.

The large solar panels on the left are of course part of the ISS, but not directly related to Kibo (well, you all know that...) I haven't colored them on the overlay as I thought they were some "trivial" part of the landscape :)

Not colored either are the black discs with central "antennas" that are actually grapple fixtures for the robotic arm (one on each payload, plus two on the Exposed Facility main structure, one being visible at center of the picture), as well as the white supports between EFU11 and EFU12 that hosted the video equipment (VE) at launch time until these were mounted at their current positions at a later stage (after assembly on ISS).

Some nice resources :
https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eopo ... s-jem-hrep
https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eopo ... /iss-jemef
http://cosmic.riken.jp/maxi/astrows/pro ... wasaki.pdf
plus the links already given by Geckzilla...

I hope I haven't included too many mistakes in my description... :)

Vincent Berseth

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 am

Hey, who is more sorry? I can make a pretty diagram but I'm totally jealous of your knowledge. :( And who cares if it's pretty, anyway? Your diagram is great because it provides such specific details.