APOD desktop wallpaper

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
sirald66
Asternaut

APOD desktop wallpaper

Post by sirald66 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 pm

It seems there are no longer working applications to automatically change your (windows/linux) desktop wallpaper to the current APOD.

I can understand why APOD would not want to support 3rd-party applications, but not only are none listed - there is no mention of them in the FAQ.

Its been a lot of searching to find broken pieces and no answers. 8-)

galaxy45
Asternaut

Re: APOD desktop wallpaper

Post by galaxy45 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 am

Win 8 has an app for APOD

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 am

That is an unofficial app that also uses ads to generate revenue for itself which does not go to anyone who did any of the actual work. It's just better to visit the APOD website instead so you always get the full descriptions and the authors receive credit for their work.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

sirald66
Asternaut

Post by sirald66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 am

There was a good Win taskbar tool that did this and could include the text displayed in overlay.

I just figure it isn't in APOD's interest to encourage desktop updates, as the traffic would shoot way up.

So inspiring, though.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 am

It's not nice (nor legal) to use copyrighted images commercially without the permission of the copyright holders. Many of the images APOD displays are copyrighted. APOD has secured permission to display the images; is that true of those developers using this copyrighted material commercially?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

sirald66
Asternaut

Post by sirald66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I was not referring to the new ad based tool.

I was talking about the one I think Asterisk used to feature.

kolinka
Asternaut

Post by kolinka » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:35 am

owlice wrote:It's not nice (nor legal) to use copyrighted images commercially without the permission of the copyright holders. Many of the images APOD displays are copyrighted. APOD has secured permission to display the images; is that true of those developers using this copyrighted material commercially?
I understand like the most the copyright and reserving APOD in this issue. However I think that they could make some images available, NASA is providing with such images for free, is known, it is only for using as wallpaper, not to other purposes.