APOD Editor to Speak in NYC on Jan 3

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD Editor to Speak in NYC on Jan 3

Post by RJN » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:57 pm

As has been happening near the start of most years recently, an editor of APOD will be giving a public lecture on space images featuring the best of APOD. This coming new year I will be speaking in New York City in the Kaufmann Auditorium at the American Museum of Natural History on Friday, 2014 January 3 at 6:15 pm at the invitation of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York. For details, please see: http://www.aaa.org/lectures1314 . The event should run until about 8 pm and will be free for all.

This year I will be primarily presenting and describing the best astronomy videos featured on APOD during the past two years: 2012 and 2013. There have been some really spectacular short space videos featured on APOD recently, and I will try to briefly explain the stories behind them and how they highlight some of the more notable astronomical discoveries and milestones that have occurred only recently. In past years we have had good turnouts, so please come early to get a good seat. Children with an interest in space are quite welcome to attend.

- RJN

charlieo3
Ensign

Re: APOD Editor to Speak in NYC on Jan 3

Post by charlieo3 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Is there any possibility that this could be set up as a Google "Hangout" and/or create a YouTube video of it?

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 pm

charlieo3 wrote:Is there any possibility that this could be set up as a Google "Hangout" and/or create a YouTube video of it?
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, that would be out of my control. You might contact the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York to see if they could do this, but my guess is that a live Google Hangout, at the least, would take a lot of effort and possibly undermine physical attendance at the event. - RJN

reedkantor

Post by reedkantor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

too bad it wont be on computer, etc. would love to hear the lecture. sure there isnt any way of getting it later maybe online, etc.

Iamrocketjock

Post by Iamrocketjock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:23 pm

A short time from now, in a city far far away, Star Discussions! (Play the theme music) "luck rogers, you must come with me to bigappleton if you want to learn the ways of the star charts. "bigappleton? But that would cost a whole bunch of Quatloos and its so far away. Luck, I don't want to lose you the way I lost your uncle Star e-vader.

rayhendess

Post by rayhendess » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 am

There are many people who would be interested in this that don't live in NYC - e.g. I'm in California. What is so complicated? Most any digital camera can take a video with sound. Video the talk and post on YouTube.

guzinya

Post by guzinya » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Hopefully someone records with their phone or something. I'd be interested in hearing this.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

It's not difficult, I guess, but more a matter of someone actually doing it. Also, if there are slides, and the video does not include them or they are not clear then that can make it difficult to understand. As usual, there is a right way to do things and a way of doing things with results that may cause one to wonder why it was done in the first place.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Also, I think one would need permission from the organization sponsoring this talk.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.