Opening for APOD-supporting Graduate Student

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Opening for APOD-supporting Graduate Student

Post by RJN » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm

An opening for a new Ph D.-seeking graduate student in astrophysics is expected in Fall 2022 at Michigan Technological University. This is an unusual position as the student is expected to have a significant interest in developing skills both in research astrophysics, as relevant to my research interests, and outreach astronomy as relevant to the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). My current research interests include gravitational lensing, gamma-ray bursts, and relativistic illumination fronts. A (somewhat outdated) account of my approach to research can be found here: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/nemiroff/NotableIdeas.html . The likely future ability of applicants to pass MTU's Ph D. Physics Qualifying Exams will be considered.

The student will be expected to spend part of their time supporting APOD -- much like a typical teaching assistant (TA) spends part of their time grading. Duties will include answering questions across astronomy that are sent in to APOD, supporting APOD's presence on social media, investigating ownership of images of interest to APOD, helping to detect fakery in images submitted to APOD, and writing practice for APOD's audience. Submission of a writing sample is encouraged. Note, though, that I am more interested in a demonstrated passion for communicating astronomy accurately and succinctly than in proper grammar and spelling.

APOD has a total daily viewership measured in millions, is translated by volunteers daily into about 20 world languages, and is mirrored on most major social media platforms.

Do you know someone might be a good fit to this position? If so, then please email them this link.

This position is supported, in part, by a grant from NASA to Michigan Tech. Interested perspective students are requested to email me at nemiroff @at@ mtu .dot. edu.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Re: Opening for APOD-supporting Graduate Student

Post by RJN » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Here is a link to a description of some former graduate students: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/nemiroff/FormerPhDStudents.html .

More recently than described in that link from 2011, graduate students that have worked with me include Amir Shahmoradi (currently Asst. Prof at UT Arlington), Teresa Wilson (currently employed at the US Naval Observatory), and Matipon Tangmatitham (currently collaborating in astronomy outreach with the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand).

Gaining employment in astrophysics academia is very competitive and many gaining astrophysics PhDs end up outside of a university environment. However, it is true that several graduate students who have worked with me have landed academic jobs, and that none are going hungry. That said, one idea of this position is to create skills not only for a job in academia, but also in science communication.

- RJN

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 am

I think it would be interesting and educational to actually see some of the fakes and explain what they did and how to spot them.
Just a thought! :ssmile:

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:20 pm

XgeoX wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 am I think it would be interesting and educational to actually see some of the fakes and explain what they did and how to spot them.
Just a thought! :ssmile:

Eric
Yes... although I only recall perhaps three of those over the last couple decades.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

HarryLeo
Asternaut

Post by HarryLeo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 am

its very useful

HarryLeo
Asternaut