Poll: Owlice's Picks

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.

Please vote for up to two images.

Poll ended at Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 am

Globular Cluster Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) Rising
8%
Stormy Seas of the Solar Chromosphere
8%
The Pleiades (M45)
11%
Pits along Fractures in Crater Floor Material
7%
Virgo Supercluster
5%
Rings, Rhea and Janus
19%
NGC 5746
6%
NGC 1275[
11%
Quiet Lagoon
15%
NGC 2170: Stellar Nursery in Monoceros
10%

Total votes: 461

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Poll: Owlice's Picks

Post by owlice » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 am

______________________________________________________________________________________________

As the title says, these are my picks; these are images I like that I think would make good APODs.

Do you agree? Which two do you think would make the best APOD?
______________________________________________________________________________________________

http://enchantedskies.net/Omega2.mov
Copyright and Credit: Rich Richins and Dave Dockery
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_p ... _seas.html
Copyright: Alan Friedman
The Pleiades (M45)
http://eder.csillagaszat.hu/deepsky/350 ... der_en.htm
Copyright: Ivan Eder
http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_017103_2255
Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona
Virgo Supercluster
http://www.astronomicalimaging.com/
Copyright: Ryan M. Hannahoe
Rings, Rhea and Janus
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA12643
Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute
NGC 5746
http://www.airglow.de/html/galaxies/ngc5746.html
Copyright: Rainer Sparenberg
NGC 1275
Copyright and processing: Danny Lee Russell; image: Hubble Legacy Archives, ESA, NASA
HLA_ESA_NGC1275_DLR_100610_Russell.jpg

Quiet Lagoon
http://www.terrastro.com/showimg.php?fi ... 20Rock.jpg
Copyright: Alex Cherney
Quiet Lagoon.jpg
Quiet Lagoon.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/NGC2170AU.html
Copyright: Rob Gendler
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Poll: Owlice's Picks

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Tough decision this round.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

I love them all! I meant to post something for each image stating why I like it and why I thought it would make a good APOD, but didn't get around to it. So here's a very quick run-down....

I think this is an amazing little movie! A question that is sometimes posed on the board is "What would our sky look like if we had [something very cool] much closer to us?" The answer seems to be a practical "pretty much the same as what we see now" for most things, including a globular cluster, but just imagine if it weren't "pretty much the same" and we could really see that stupendous globular cluster rising?!! Well, we can -- in this amazing little movie!!

Have I mentioned that this is an amazing little movie? I found it thrilling!! (Ask geckzilla; she had to endure a lot of exuberance -- perfectly rational exuberance, I might add! -- from me when I got this image and wanted to post it.) Were this image an APOD, it would provide an answer for a question that I think goes through a lot of people's minds: what would our sky look like if we had [something very cool] much closer to us? The answer drives home just how BIG space is -- how muchspace there is out there in space.

A stormy sea, but a surface that looks absolutely pettable! I love the color and texture in this image. I like the contrast between how soft the sun looks here and how hot the sun is -- it's not pettable at all, despite that wonderfully soft-looking surface.

It's easy to think of the sun as smooth; this image shows very clearly that it isn't. There would be a number of avenues for discussion were this an APOD: the prominence, why the surface appears textured, the structure of the sun, and where one can buy fabric that resembles the surface. I'm kidding about this last one, but if anyone happens to know, I'd be interested! <g>

The Pleiades (M45)
Ah, the Pleiades! A familiar sight even for amateur stargazers, or those several steps below (which is where I am). We get to see the stars (or some do, anyway; my eyes cannot resolve them anymore, a fact which gives me almost physical pain when I think of it), but not the lovely nebula around the sisters. I like this image a lot -- it's very pretty and shows off the sisters' gowns, AND... I can see the stars!

Mars! What a planet! How fortunate we are to be able to SEE it, really see it, up close and almost personal! I think this image is beautiful; it looks almost organic. The shape is reminescent of leaves; the texture makes me think of coral or something similar.

What made this part of Mars like this? What IS this part of Mars, anyway? What of the cracks? I like the colors, too; that is definitely part of the appeal of this image for me. (Yes, I know: Mars isn't really this color. I can deal with that. :-) )

Virgo Supercluster
What can I say? I simply like the picture! It offers a lot of things at which to gawk and a lot of things to discuss, and the face -- so neutral in its expression -- captures for me the indifference of nature.

Rings, Rhea and Janus
My favorite ringed planet, and though I cannot go there (~~~ sigh ~~~), it is wonderful that Cassini can, and can show us the richness of this planet's neighborhood. Moons! Moonlets! Rings! Teeny moons hidden in rings! And on top of all that, beautiful composition, as in this image.

It offers a lot to discuss, too: Moons! Moonlets! Rings! And the wonderful project and instrument that brings us these images!!

NGC 5746
I selected this image for a number of reasons; one compelling reason is that this galaxy has not yet appeared by itself as an APOD (at least so far as I could determine). The image is nicely balanced and has an overall simplicity that appeals to me. And perhaps Jerry or Robert would learn something new in writing about it; not that they need to learn anything new, but I get the impression that one of the reasons they continue on with APOD is because it's fun to learn even more than they already know about what's out there. And if they learn something in writing an APOD's text, it'll be all news to me, for certain!

NGC 1275
This would make a cool APOD because.... ummmm.... it's pretty and purple. :oops: Yeah. I like the colors. I'm sure I'd learn something from whatever the APOD guys wrote about it, but ... I picked it simply because it's pretty! (And purple, which is not a very common color for astronomy pictures, this shade, anyway, and ... well, I like it!)

Quiet Lagoon
I love this image. The rock on the left is called "Pulpit Rock." To me it looks as though the rock face is singing to what I think are the Magellanic clouds. Earth singing to faraway galaxies, under the band of its home galaxy, on a peaceful night and accompanied by the sound of moving water -- what music this must be, and how I wish I could hear it!

How much beauty there is right here at home; how much more is out there! And this image so nicely combines the two, and though the soundtrack isn't available for our listening pleasure... well, I'd like to think it exists all the same.

Starbirth! But that's not all that's going on in this image. What else is there? Text would reveal all!

("quick run-down...." Yeah, right!)

I don't know how Robert and Jerry select images; I think I'd combust trying to decide between so many spectacular images and all there is to say about them! So if asked which ONE of these images should be an APOD, I .... I ... I'd have to say all!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks a lot for describing why you love these picks, Owlice!
A stormy sea, but a surface that looks absolutely pettable! I love the color and texture in this image. I like the contrast between how soft the sun looks here and how hot the sun is -- it's not pettable at all, despite that wonderfully soft-looking surface.
I love that description!
Mars! What a planet! How fortunate we are to be able to SEE it, really see it, up close and almost personal! I think this image is beautiful; it looks almost organic. The shape is reminescent of leaves; the texture makes me think of coral or something similar.
That's it! These shape do look organic, and they do resemble leaves!
My favorite ringed planet, and though I cannot go there (~~~ sigh ~~~), it is wonderful that Cassini can, and can show us the richness of this planet's neighborhood. Moons! Moonlets! Rings! Teeny moons hidden in rings! And on top of all that, beautiful composition, as in this image.
I have to agree with you there, among ringed planets Saturn is my favorite, at least for its rings! (But I love the fantastic colors and patterns of Jupiter's cloud tops, and I love the blue color of Neptune. But their rings sure pale next to Saturn's!)

And Saturn's retinue of moons is fantastic, and the way these moons interact with Saturn's rings is just amazing!!! (There was another picture posted here just the other day of two Saturnian moons, one of which was Tethys, which was brighter than another moon, Dione, because Tethys was closer to cosmic snow cannon Enceladus. (Enceladus, by the way, is my hands-down favorite solar system moon, with the possible exception of the Moon!)
This would make a cool APOD because.... ummmm.... it's pretty and purple.
It is, too! :mrgreen: As for why it's purple, well, the color has to be a mixture of red emission nebulosity and blue starlight, right?
I love this image. The rock on the left is called "Pulpit Rock." To me it looks as though the rock face is singing to what I think are the Magellanic clouds. Earth singing to faraway galaxies, under the band of its home galaxy, on a peaceful night and accompanied by the sound of moving water -- what music this must be, and how I wish I could hear it!
The picture was beautiful before I read your description (and I voted for it, too). Now it is doubly so. Yes, I can see that the rock appears to be singing to the Magellanic Clouds!
Starbirth! But that's not all that's going on in this image. What else is there? Text would reveal all!
Well, prettiness and purplishness is going on here, among other things! :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for your lovely descriptions, Owlice!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 am

The second picture I voted for, by the way, was the Pleiades. I couldn't not vote for such a beautiful picture of the lovliest cluster I know.

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks, Ann! I thought of you when I picked the Pleiades image; I knew you liked it, too. 'Tis indeed a lovely cluster!

There's a sun image that's already appeared as an APOD that I really like because it looks like something that would be lovely to go "flump" into -- you know, like a really cushy, soft sofa or chair. Of course the scale is all wrong and there'd be no flumping, but I'd love to find a chair as comfy at the sun looks in that particular image!

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:09 pm

NGC 1275, i
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:43 pm

owlice wrote:Thanks, Ann! I thought of you when I picked the Pleiades image; I knew you liked it, too. 'Tis indeed a lovely cluster!

There's a sun image that's already appeared as an APOD that I really like because it looks like something that would be lovely to go "flump" into -- you know, like a really cushy, soft sofa or chair. Of course the scale is all wrong and there'd be no flumping, but I'd love to find a chair as comfy at the sun looks in that particular image!
Gee owlice, could you describe "flumping" a little? I've never "flumped" before and don't really know of anyone who has. Perhaps you could start a "flumping" class in the Open Space Forum? Of course those who read the class(if you do it)will have to get a really comfy chair to practise their flumping in.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 pm

beyond, I am certain that at some point in your life, indeed, likely many times, you have flumped! That you cannot remember the pleasure of doing so... oh, that is sad, sad, and I weep for your lost memories!

I must go find a tissue now. Oh, so sad, so sad!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:09 am

owlice wrote: Quiet Lagoon

How much beauty there is right here at home; how much more is out there! And this image so nicely combines the two, and though the soundtrack isn't available for our listening pleasure... well, I'd like to think it exists all the same.
Ah! Today's APOD corrects me! The rock on the right is Pulpit Rock, and it's one Small Magellanic Cloud, one globular cluster (and such a pretty one, too!).

I almost fell over when I saw today's APOD! I'm so glad this image made the cut, and so glad the astrophotographer submitted it!

Ann and beyond, the flumpable sun image is here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040802.html
Doesn't that look like something one could just fall into oh, so gently?

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:36 am

wonderboy wrote:NGC 1275, i

My computer jammed and what-not so this was meant to say:

NGC 1275, is my choice because it looks like its reaching out to touch you.

I like it quite a lot actually.

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?