Poll: Astronomy Picture of the Week for 2011 May 15-21

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.

Please vote for the TWO best APODs (image and text) of May 15-21

Poll ended at Fri May 27, 2011 12:21 am

Time Lapse Clouds and Sky Over the Canary Islands
23%
A Starry Night of Iceland
29%
The Last Launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour
12%
NGC 253: Close Up
9%
A Journey Through the Night Sky
19%
Planets, Endeavour at Dawn
8%

Total votes: 736

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Poll: Astronomy Picture of the Week for 2011 May 15-21

Post by owlice » Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 am

Please vote for the TWO best Astronomy Pictures of the Day (image and text) of May 15-21, 2011.
(Repeated APODs are not included in the poll.)

All titles are clickable and link to the original APOD page.

We ask for your help in choosing an APOW as this helps Jerry and Robert create "year in APOD images" review lectures, create APOM and APOY polls that can be used to create a free PDF calendar at year's end, and provides feedback on which images and APODs were relatively well received. You can select two top images for the week.

We are very interested in why you selected the APODs you voted for, and enthusiastically welcome your telling us why by responding to this thread.

Thank you!

<- Previous week's poll

If you could sit back and watch clouds and the sky move all night and day, what might you see? One answer from the island of Tenerife, captured over the course of the year, includes sequences that are not only breathtaking but instructive. Visible in the above time-lapse movie include clouds that seem to flow like water, a setting sun that shows numerous green flashes, the Milky Way Galaxy rising behind towering plants, a colorful double fogbow, lenticular clouds that appear stationary near their mountain peaks, and colorful moon coronas. The above video was shot solely from the Teide National Park on Tenerife in the Canary Islands of Spain, off the north west coast of Africa. The video also features an unusual type of plant in several scenes -- can you identify it?
On some nights, the sky is the best show in town. On this night, the sky was not only the best show in town, but a composite image of the sky won an international competition for landscape astrophotography. The above winning image was taken two months ago over Jökulsárlón, the largest glacial lake in Iceland. The photographer combined six exposures to capture not only two green auroral rings, but their reflections off the serene lake. Visible in the distant background sky is the band of our Milky Way Galaxy, the Pleiades open clusters of stars, and the Andromeda galaxy. A powerful coronal mass ejection from the Sun caused auroras to be seen as far south as Wisconsin, USA. As the Sun progresses toward solar maximum in the next few years, many more spectacular images of aurora are expected.
Two days ago, powerful yet controlled explosions rocketed the Space Shuttle Endeavour on its final trip into Earth orbit. The above image was taken seconds after liftoff as the massive orbiter and six astronauts began a climb to a height where the atmosphere is so thin it is unbreathable. The shuttle, on mission STS-134, is expected to dock with the International Space Station (ISS) today. The Endeavour will deliver to the ISS, among other things, an ambitious detector called the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer 2 (AMS), a detector that over the next few years could detect a significant abundance of specific types of dark matter, charged antimatter, and even a strangely possible variation of familiar matter called strangelets. The very last trip for any space shuttle is currently planned for mid-July when Atlantis will also visit the space station.
This dusty island universe is one of the brightest spiral galaxies in planet Earth's sky. Seen nearly edge-on, NGC 253 is only 13 million light-years away, the largest member of the Sculptor Group of galaxies, neighbor to our own local galaxy group. The detailed close-up view is a five frame mosaic based on data assembled from Hubble Legacy Archive data. Beginning on the left near the galaxy's core, the sharp panorama follows dusty filaments, interstellar gas clouds, and even individual stars toward the galaxy's edge at the right. The magnificent vista spans nearly 50,000 light-years. The frame at the far right has been compressed slightly to bring into view an intriguing interacting pair of background galaxies. Designated a starburst galaxy because of its frantic star forming activity, NGC 253 features tendrils of dust rising from a galactic disk laced with young star clusters and star forming regions. NGC 253 is also known to be a strong source of high-energy x-rays and gamma rays, likely due to massive black holes near the galaxy's center.
Majestic nebulae and stars of our Milky Way Galaxy stretch across this panoramic image of the entire night sky. At full resolution, the 5 gigapixel mosaic was stitched together from over 37,000 images, the result of a season following, year long effort and 60,000 travel miles in search of still dark skies in the American west and the western Cape of South Africa. The well-planned project combined many exposures from the dark sites, intended to produce an inspiring view of the night to rival the brightness of day. An interactive journey through the scene will uncover a congeries of innumerable stars with vast clouds of gas and dust strewn along the galactic plane and central bulge, too faint to see with the unaided eye. Even galaxies of stars beyond our Milky Way can be found within the cosmic vista.
When dawn broke over Kennedy Space Center on Monday, May 16, the space shuttle orbiter Endeavour still stood on pad 39A. Its final launch, on mission STS-134 to the International Space Station, was only hours away. Shining through the early morning twilight four planets were also poised above the eastern horizon, a moving scene captured here from across the Banana River at the center's Saturn V VIP viewing site. Scattered by planet Earth's dense atmosphere, floodlight beams play over the launch pad, glancing skyward toward the celestial beacons. Jupiter is highest, near the top of the frame, but even the solar sytem's ruling gas giant is outshone by brilliant Venus near picture center. Innermost planet Mercury is below Venus, to the right. Below and left, Mars almost fades into the twilight glow. The four planets continue to hug the eastern horizon at dawn throughout the month, while Endeavour is now scheduled to make its final approach to planet Earth on June 1.

<- Previous week's poll
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

billinger
Ensign
AKA: billinger

Re: Poll: Astronomy Picture of the Week for 2011 May 15-21

Post by billinger » Mon May 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Never I saw Iceland personally but I dream to visit that delightful island in winter. Last days there`s nothing to see.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 23, 2011 4:27 pm

billinger wrote:Never I saw Iceland personally but I dream to visit that delightful island in winter. Last days there`s nothing to see.
Oh, I don't know, Iceland seems pretty active to me.
In this photo taken on Saturday, May 21, 2011, smoke plumes from the Grimsvotn volcano, which lies under the Vatnajokull glacier, about 120 miles, (200 kilometers) east of the capital, Rejkjavik, which began erupting Saturday for the first time since 2004. Iceland closed its main international airport and canceled domestic flights Sunday as a powerful volcanic eruption sent a plume of ash, smoke and steam 12 miles (20 kilometers) into the air. (AP Photo, Jon Gustafsson)
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

amfrushour

Post by amfrushour » Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm surprised that "The Last Launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour" picture or the "Planets, Endeavour at Dawn" picture do not have many votes, especially considering that the STS-134 mission has carried the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer-02 to the International Space Station.

amfrushour

Post by amfrushour » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 pm

amfrushour wrote:I'm surprised that "The Last Launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour" picture or the "Planets, Endeavour at Dawn" picture do not have many votes, especially considering that the STS-134 mission has carried the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer-02 to the International Space Station.
P.S. I was at the launch.

Bomber90
Asternaut

Post by Bomber90 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm

I voted for the time lapse clouds & sky over the Canary Islands as my first choice. It took a labor of love to spend a full year taking those videos and then compiling them AND setting the video to music.

I voted for the Starry Night of Iceland since I don't get to see very many aurorae, if any at all, in my home state of OH.

areinheimer

Post by areinheimer » Tue May 24, 2011 3:43 pm

APOD is a wonderful service with some of the most extraordinary photographs ever taken. I have set my home page to APOD so as to not miss a day.

That said, there is a bit of a problem. At least for me, this week's photo dates seem to all be showing the year 2010. It makes it seem like even the fabric of time is being warped.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 pm

areinheimer wrote:That said, there is a bit of a problem. At least for me, this week's photo dates seem to all be showing the year 2010. It makes it seem like even the fabric of time is being warped.
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

(Finally!)

Yeah... I'd like to say I planned this to see who was paying attention, but I didnt. Plan OR pay attention, apparently, because -- the peril of the cut-and-paste -- every poll this year has the wrong year in the body of the post. :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: (At least the titles of the threads are right...)

SO: you win a prize, assuming I ever get around to making them -- I've had plans now for months to do this -- and you're in North America (because of shipping). Please email me at my moniker at hotmail.com from the IP address you posted from for details; thanks!

And thanks very much for pointing this out! I appreciate it. Please look for our polls next January, to make sure I don't do the same thing next year; thanks!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

cheeryoster@gmail.com

Post by cheeryoster@gmail.com » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

My first task after turning on line is to view APOD and appreciate the fantastic pics. My second choice for this poll was Time Lapse clouds and Sky because of the Photographic skill and time it must have taken to produce the right effects. My First choice was Planets, Endeavour at Dawn (why is there a 'U' in there) because the first impression that exploded in my mind was the whole perspective of SIZE. All the money and wars seem so meaningless. Maybe the Ants have the right idea knowing how small they are. Best Regards from a happy viewer. Cheeryoster

AngelsCampgazer

Post by AngelsCampgazer » Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I chose Journey Through the Night Sky because it looks like a first of its kind image. Must have taken a LOT of work! In it, you can locate so many features and there's little to no distortion common to mosaic images.

anthonybarreiro@yahoo.com

Why is it called Endeavour? (Re: Poll: APOW for 2011 May 15-

Post by anthonybarreiro@yahoo.com » Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

cheeryoster@gmail.com wrote:... My First choice was Planets, Endeavour at Dawn (why is there a 'U' in there) ...
From NASA's web page for Endeavour <http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shu ... -info.html> --

<< Endeavour was named after a ship chartered to traverse the South Pacific in 1768 and captained by 18th century British explorer James Cook, an experienced seaman, navigator and amateur astronomer. He commanded a crew of 93 men, including 11 scientists and artists. >>

Celestial
Ensign

Post by Celestial » Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 pm

It is difficult to decide among the photographic accomplishments shown here. The time lapse of clouds in Tenerife lets us see natural processes as if we were observing otherworldly events, and the music renders these events romantic. I think the emotive content of this APOD captures the way we respond when looking at the sky, and I voted for it for this reason.

My next vote went to the Journey through the night sky, because of the dedication apparent in its composition, and the application of relatively new technology that magnifies the picture, giving the viewer the impression of three dimensional space, as if surveying this picture were space travel. In terms of content, the link of the Galilean quote ("congeries of innumerable stars") led to a site on cosmology and some fascinating explanations of cosmological discoveries.

I was captivated by the picture of the aurora borealis, and even more by the poetic name of the photographer's Web site, "Nuits sacree." This picture shows us an artistic reality (it is a composite), which is not a criticism but the criteria I used for placing this APOD in third place.