Submissions: 2015 June

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Astromontufar
Science Officer

Re: Submissions: 2015 June

Post by Astromontufar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:19 am

Science Paths

The conjunction over the moonlighted Dome, as seen from "Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y Geofisícas" Observatory at La Plata Argentina.

22:40 (UT)
Attachments
planet.jpg
Sergio Emilio Montúfar Codoñer
pinceladasnocturnas.com

ufoken
Asternaut

Post by ufoken » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:07 am

Title: Venus and Jupiter Over A Contrail And A Tree

Photo Taken By: Kenneth Green in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California.

Date and Time: 9:35pm on June 30, 2015

Description: On June 30, 2015 Venus and Jupiter were very close as seen from Earth. I was able to line up these two planets with the top of a pine tree. Also on the top was a contrail from a jet earlier in the day.

StefanoDeRosa
Science Officer

Post by StefanoDeRosa » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:52 am

Venus and Jupiter meet the Sacra
http://stefanoderosa.com/
Copyright: Stefano De Rosa
Please find above two images taken on June 30, 2015, showing the plendid Venus-Jupiter pair captured next to the Sacra di San Michele, the Symbolic monument of the Piedmont region, in the North-West of Italy. The book "The Name of the Rose" was inspired by this monumental abbey.

Best regards

Stefano

jldauvergne
Ensign

Post by jldauvergne » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Jupiter-Venus conjunction from Malta
https://canopus123.files.wordpress.com
Copyright: Alexei Pace

alfredoxa
Ensign

Post by alfredoxa » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Venus and Júpiter conjunction.

The "Penas de Rodas" are two huge granite stones, almost perfectly spherical, settling only on very small bases, which seem to be about to roll down, what impresses enough to approach them.
The origin of this type of training is based on the biogeochemistry action of water on the granite stone, typical of Galicia (Spain).
The orientation of the targets they set are oriented towards the sunset on the summer solstice and as the horizon of the place.

Venus and Júpiter conjunction

Copyright: Alfredo Madrigal
ImageConjunción Venus Jùpiter by Alfredo Madrigal, en Flickr
Credits : Alfredo Madrigal

rwright4930
Ensign

Post by rwright4930 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Venus and Jupiter
Up Close and Personal

On the night of June 30, 2015, Venus and Jupiter were so close together in the sky they could both be captured simultaneously in the same field of view with a 1050mm focal length telescope and a DSLR camera. This image is a composite showing the scene as viewed by a bystander, and the single 1/30th of a second exposure through a telescope capturing the planetary duo. The image shows the shape of Venus, as well as the complete Jovian system, including the Great Red Spot and all four Galilean moons. Io and Europa were nearly touching at the time of this photograph.

Richard S. Wright Jr.
www.eveningshow.com
Attachments
VenusJup.jpg

alfredoxa
Ensign

Conjunction Venus Júpiter and Leo

Post by alfredoxa » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Venus and Júpiter conjunction.

The "Penas de Rodas" are two huge granite stones, almost perfectly spherical, settling only on very small bases, which seem to be about to roll down, what impresses enough to approach them.
The origin of this type of training is based on the biogeochemistry action of water on the granite stone, typical of Galicia (Spain).
The orientation of the targets they set are oriented towards the sunset on the summer solstice and as the horizon of the place.

ImageConjunción Venus Jùpiter con Leo by Alfredo Madrigal, en Flickr

Credits: Alfredo Madrigal

conemmil
Ensign

Stormy weather

Post by conemmil » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:20 pm

This summer is very unusual for the Greek climate with lower than average temperature and many rainfalls and passing storms. Even nature is much greener than usual because of the high rainfalls happening overall into 2015 and from a photographic point of view, it creates some really stunning images. Here are two I was able to create:
Clear skies (but also if clouded, interesting ones)
Constantine Emmanouilidi
f/b: Infection Photography

clillo
Ensign

Post by clillo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Ahhh the wonder.

Charles Lillo
http://www.theastrogeeks.com

airliner
Ensign

Post by airliner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Fireflies in the woods
A field of fireflies dances under the stars

© Mavroudakis Fotis

Jose Luis Sánchez
Ensign

Post by Jose Luis Sánchez » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:43 am

Last edited by Jose Luis Sánchez on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jose Luis Sánchez
Ensign

Post by Jose Luis Sánchez » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:48 am

The dance of Venus and Jupiter

June 28, 29, 30, 2015

Copyright: Jose Luis Sanchez
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68018999@N08/

Image Image Image

Valmayor Reservoir, El Escorial, Madrid - Spain
Embalse de Valmayor

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embalse_de_Valmayor

luxorion
Ensign

Post by luxorion » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:41 am

I checked the few old images of Pluto recorded by HST, and in the last 18 years, the location and albedo of main spots haven't changed much, what confirms that they are permanent formations. Rocky or icy surfaces, we will see on July 14.

Thierry
LUXORION
Thierry
==================
Luxorion

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 pm

There have been some great pictures posted here in June, and I would like to comment on some of them. I will do so from the position of my own personal preferences, which means that I will not be perfectly fair to all of you, I'm sorry to say.

The first June picture that I really liked was Petr Horálek's fascinating "Various Airglow and Gravity Waves above the La Silla".

I really liked Colin Robson's Southern Cross image, where the Coalsack looks like a whale, ready to eat Alpha Crucis.

I really appreciated Roberto Colombari's portrait of M78.

Jeff Dai's picture of Milky way and Zodiacal light over Yamdrok Lake cut the Milky Way fascinatingly in two, and showed us both the northern part of the Milky Way with Perseus and Cassiopeia and the southern part with Sagittarius and Scorpius.

Michelle St. Onge's Lunar Eclipse from Australia has an almost otherworldly quality, with the eclipsed Moon hanging broodingly in the sky as an ominous alien presence.

I'm always fascinated by the planetary nebula-like object Ou4, which is more likely the result of an outburst of a binary or multiple massive hot bright star, so I was very happy to see Josh Smith's portrait of it. Great color, too!

I'd like to thank Sebastián Colombo for bringing the Big Foot of Sagittarius to our screens!

I think Sergio's portrait of Collinder 316 and IC 4628 Region in Scorpius is splendid. The detail is sharp and crisp, and the color is simply delightful.

I'm glad to see noodle come back here to post his(?) second picture, a fine image of the Blue Horsehead sniffing the cosmic odour(?) of Saturn!

I'm glad to see nezve's wide image of the fascinating star formation region of Corona Australis.

I like the dreamy feeling of Nicolas Guerin's Venus and the colorful sunset.

I like C. Iaffaldano and R. Colombari's portrait of M20. This is the second time that I have seen a part of the blue reflection nebula of M20 look faintly yellowish where it meets the red emission nebula of the same object.

I like Damian Peach's Jupiter portraits, where the Great Red Spot, peeking through at right in the top image, clearly looks redder than any other part of the cloud tops.

I like Geonni Banner's impressive cloud!

I like Aggelos Makris' portrait of the winter constellations and the intense color of Comet Lovejoy passing through.

I like Nicholas Daniyyel's portrait of the moonrise on June 2. Again there is this otherworldly feeling, where the Moon looks at once huge and delicately weightless, as if it had been a pale yellow balloon soaring over the the landscape.

I like John Vermette's portrait of one of my favorite galaxies, M100. M100 is barred spiral-like galaxy with no visible bar, and this portrait makes it glaringly obvious that M100 has all the characteristics of a barred galaxy except, indeed, the visible bar.

I like Marcin Paciorek's image of the Cygnus Cross. I appreciate the fact that the image is not too red, and that you are able to appreciate what parts of Cygnus look red without extra Ha enhancement. Note that both the North America Nebula and the Veil Nebula look slightly bluish.

I like Marcin Paciorek's fine picture of Fireworks galaxy, NGC 6946, and open cluster NGC 6939.

I like Klaus R. Brasch's image of the Scorpion's stinger. That is a very fine and exuberantly starry portrait of the lower part of Scorpius.

I find Cristian López' portrait of a moonlit beach lovely indeed.

It's good to see a fine Hubble portrait of a galaxy here. The colors are great, too, which is not always the case with Hubble pictures.

Tango33, I like your new images, particularly the one of the Eyes galaxies!

Petr Horálek, your picture "From the Earth to the Vega" is a great way to bring out both the Milky Way and the lovely blue Vega!

Alfonso Carreño, I like your processing of the Crescent Nebula! The details are fine, and the colors great.

Wow, Daniel Pasternak, that is some cloud bank!!!! :shock: And the sunset is beautiful.

Amit Ashok Kamble, I really like your Scorpius portrait! That's lovely.

Denis Priou, that is a fine portrait of the cluster that looks like an open cluster but is really a globular cluster.

Bonobo, I love that sunset image of yours! Amazing.

randallx200, that is truly a fantastic-looking Moon portrait!

Richard Hammar, I love your M6 portrait! So beautiful.

Francisco José Fernández Gómez, there have been so many great Venus-Jupiter conjunction images here, but yours is special to me. There is something about the nostalgic 19th century technology of the railway, with the railway tracks stretching into the distance as if reaching for the future, with the colorful railway lights echoing the light spectacle in the sky, and the serene late twilight sky colors adding a dreamy quality to the scene.

Amirreza Kamkar, those trees in your conjunction pictures are fantastic!

Sergio Emilio Montúfar Codoñer, I love your annotated image of the Moon-Venus-Jupiter conjunction sky!

Raul Villaverde Fraile, that is a fantastic image of Cygnus. I can't get over the fact that I can so clearly see NGC 6914 in such a wide-angle picture! And I can clearly see one of the most colorful stellar trios in the sky, double star 31 Cygni along with 30 Cygni.

Markus Noller, I simply love your Antares region portrait! You made this well-known complex look like an enormous multicolored flower emerging from a sickly-green stem.

Jeff Warner, if you only knew how rarely I comment on aurora photos! But yours is special. The way those multicolored columns stick up over the mountain, like the headgear of some kind of incredible alien, is fantastic. The weirdly shaped Moon adds to the otherworldly feeling of the image.

fred_76, thanks for posting your very first images here! I like your Pluto-Charon animation.

daniyyel, I can see that this is your first post here! Welcome to Starship Asterisk*, and thank you for your fine Moon photo.

Tunç Tezel, I like the colors of your conjunction picture. I especially like the pinkness of the Moon.

Zhuoxiao Wang, I like your galaxy and Antares pictures.

StrongmanMike, that is a great portrait of the Swan Nebula!

Alex Dantart, I simply love the sky you have photographed here. The waviness of the clouds make them look solid, and the crescent Moon looks like a delicate lamp or decoration of some sort, hanging in front of the clouds.

I like the ESO image of M87, particularly because it made me pay attention to another galaxy in that picture. That is a Virgo spiral galaxy with no star formation or young stars or dust at all, NGC 4440.

I really liked the picture of the Special Astrophysical Observatory/Hubble Space Telescope image of a black hole in dwarf galaxy Holmberg II, not least because it made me look up Holmberg II and find some fascinating pictures of it.

LI Hang, I like the green aurora arching like a green rainbow over the Moon.

Wei-Hao Wang, I like your NGC 7023 with nearby bright Mira variable. Could the Mira variable be T Cepheus?

Chris Cook, the aurora in your picture blends in a most lovely way with the sunset colors.

Leonardo Orazi, I'm always happy to see your beautiful pictures with their splendid colors!

Rogelio Bernal Andreo, I love your wide-angle images! It was a joy to go galaxy-hunting in your image and find, among other galaxies, M60, M90, M91, the Siamese twins, M99, M100, and of course Markarian's Chain with the Eyes galaxies, as well as Cd galaxy M87.

Robert Gendler, thank you so much for processing the Hubble image of great cluster Westerlund 2 in Carina!

Bill Warden, that is a fascinating animation showing the expansion of the Crab Nebula!

Jose Luis Sanchez, thank you for the annotated image of the summer Milky Way!

Josh Smith, I like your "Equality for all" portrait of great globular cluster M13.

Marcin Paciorek, thank you for showing us three crosses in the southern sky!

José Francisco del Aguila, that is a brilliant portrait of IC 4015 and IC 410 and the asterism, the Leaping Minnow. I just love how you brought out the extra blue color of ApSi star IQ Aurigae!

Dani Caxete, those fossilized trilobites look fantastic.

strongmanmike, that is an amazing portrait of planetary nebula 6545! It almost looks as if there was a red heart inside it.

cyandro, I love how you have composed your image so that the arch of the Milky Way mirrors the slope of that hill and the trees growing on it.

Philippe TOSI, I can't believe how you managed to make Venus peek through the "eye hole" of that decorative rooster!

Sérgio Bettencourt, that is an amazing cloud. Seriously!

Wolfgang Neszmerak, I love that "extra blue color" of the noctilucent clouds in your picture.

Aldo Mottino, that is a very fine picture of Jupiter and Venus. The crescent shape of Venus is beautifully portrayed, and you can see all the Galilean moons of Jupiter.

Giuseppe Petricca, that is a lovely conjunction picture over the leaning tower of Pisa.
Color Commentator

moonrocks
Science Officer

Post by moonrocks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 am

Vulpecula Skyscape (this is a replacement because the link failed in the earlier post!)

A two panel mosaic in narrowband

http://moonrocksastro.com/index.php/recent-work-2/

ImageVulpecula Skyscape by Paul C. Swift, on Flickr