Mystery Streak along with Orion, Taurus, the Pleiades

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Mystery Streak along with Orion, Taurus, the Pleiades

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 pm

The image below was submitted by the photographer, who asks for help in identifying the cause of the blue streak near the Pleiades. He writes:
From bottom to top the image shows Orion, Taurus, and the Pleiades. I'm not sure what the blue streak below and to the left of the Pleiades is. It couldn't be seen with the unaided eye. I thought it could an anomaly caused by the lighting however, I have taken other pictures under the same conditions and the streak didn't show up. It was taken at approx. midnight on 10/24/2016 looking east from a small town in Ohio that lies between Cincinnati and Dayton. The only editing done to the .JPG was to crop out some of the visual noise and make a more aesthetically pleasing photo. I've also attached the unedited .NEF file to help with the identification of the blue streak. Even if it isn't used for APOD any info on what the streak could be will be appreciated. Of course the image can be uploaded to asterisk. If you need anymore information feel free to contact me.

Picture Specs.
Camera: Nikon d750
Lens: 24 - 120 mm f/4
Zoom: 24 mm
F-stop: f/4
ISO: ~1000
Exposure: 25 sec.
W/B: ~3750 K
I thought it might be an insect, based in part on the discussion in this thread from years ago. Someone else thinks it is
too symmetric and geometric to be an insect's wings. Also, insects don't usually glow blue. Definitely not on the wings.

It looks to me like a lens artifact. Most likely a glare from the bright blue-ish source to the lower right of the full image. The color is consistent with it coming from that source.
Can you help?
DSC_0178 (3).jpg
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Mystery Streak along with Orion, Taurus, the Pleiades

Post by geckzilla » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Just a lens flare / stray light entering the camera lens. Think caustics from water in a wine glass or perhaps a cup of tea. Check it out, in just the blue channel, even in this compressed version you can see the rest of the light bouncing around inside the camera to make another circular impression on the detector. If there is a raw version available that wasn't compressed you could probably get an even better look at it.
lensflare_bluechannel.jpg
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 pm

You want me to send you the raw file?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:12 am

Owlice sent me the raw file and here is a version using that data. Still just stray light in the camera optics. :)
lensflare_sidebysidel.jpg
There's also a tiny little spectrum that is probably part of the little stray light pattern. :)
lensflare_littlerainbow.jpg
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.