An idea for an APOD.. needs an artist

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Ron Burk
Asternaut

An idea for an APOD.. needs an artist

Post by Ron Burk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:16 am

I recently sent an idea to APOD, Mr. Nemiroff, (see below) and he has responded with a suggestion to post it here to see if there is an interested artist to create it.

Good luck on the mission , if you choose to accept it , and I hope to see your work on APOD soon.

Ron

Ron Burk wrote:

Mr. Nemiroff,
I have a idea for an image that I think would be very interesting to see.
In this XOplanet hunting period we are now having and the transit if Mercury upon us. I would like to see what Jupiter's transit and silhouette would look like from Earth if it were at Mercury's distance from the Sun or at a distance that makes sense to the known Jupiter size XOplanets that have been found.

What do you think?

Can you commission an artist conception?

Thanks for the fine work at APOD.
Ron Burk
Wells, ME
Ron
An APOD regular

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:10 pm

It's very easy to do. You take any picture of the sun and do a single click with clone stamp photoshop tool from sky to sun (oh wait thats two clicks). For correct brush size use this pic.

Ron Burk
Asternaut

Transit of Jupiter

Post by Ron Burk » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:50 pm

ckam , thanks for the fine graphic, a nice perspective.
My thoughts go a little further than that and involves XOplanets too.
If Jupiter is about the size of some known XOplanets, and had an inferior orbit, how big would it appear in our sky and in transit across the sun and how fast would it travel?
So it's a bit about the geometry too, because we know when the moon transits the sun it can cover it completely.
I actually saw a great little applet the other day of the Mercury transit and think that seeing what a Jupiter XOplanet transit would look like would be very interesting. And the editors of APOD should also be able to provide us with some more great hyperlinks about the hot XOplanet topic.
Ron
An APOD regular

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:37 am

It wouldn't be anything spectacular. I don't think jupiter would appear much bigger than on that picture I posted above, nothing comparable to moon for sure.

Mushhushshu13
Ensign

Mr Nemiroff????

Post by Mushhushshu13 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:24 pm

Is he by any chance related to a math teacher???
Xargon, Messenger of fate