Meteor or what?

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
spacermike007
Asternaut

Meteor or what?

Post by spacermike007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 am

Ok I realize I am in the wrong posting for the topic, but this whole site is as slow as molasses, all I want to do is post an odd sighting. At 1020pm on August 7th 2010, I was naked eye star gazing as usual in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Overhead I observed a large ( the size of a dime held at arms length), glowing object cross the sky from west to east. It appeared to be on fire as a meteor might, but this object moved slowly (est 600 mph?, faster than any of the many planes I observe) but nowhere near meteor speeds. I called my fiancee to come out and see and she was stunned and awed by the spectacle as well! Does anyone know who to report this type of thing to and/or what it was?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: Meteor or what?

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 am

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 pm

spacermike007 wrote:.. Overhead I observed a large ( the size of a dime held at arms length), glowing object cross the sky from west to east. It appeared to be on fire as a meteor might, but this object moved slowly (est 600 mph?, faster than any of the many planes I observe) but nowhere near meteor speeds. I called my fiancee to come out and see and she was stunned and awed by the spectacle as well! Does anyone know who to report this type of thing to and/or what it was?
One possibility is satellite or orbital debris re-entering the atmosphere -- it does happen. Other than the huge angular size you described (~2x full moon), it could fit. My wife called me outside to witness a well observed (and identified) satellite/debri reentry over the NW a number of years ago. It did seem noticeably slow, and a lot of spark- and flame-like appearance as pieces came off the primary body. The fact you called your fiancee out and she still had time to observe it indicates a different than normal event.

Did you see it burn out, or did it traverse the whole sky then disappear? High in the sky?

Space junk may typically travel much longer and larger fraction of the sky than a meteor, but a a relatively much slower speed. An exception is a fireball (bolide) class meteor that may not burn out until it hits the earth or exits the atmosphere back into space. It is traveling fast but it could be skimming the atmosphere and therefore capable of travelling a long time and appearing to travel slowly.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Best advice to everyone,
If you go outside to gaze at the sky, bring a digital camera that can take MPG files with you. You never know what you might see and a movie file will help others in this situation

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 am

So true..if only we had that stuff on hand when we really need it. To live long enough to upload terabyte, full-resolution retinal recordings to a smart device for just those kinds of moments :roll:
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

elizabeth

Post by elizabeth » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 am

My husband and I were in our home, in Manorbier South West Wales UK, two weeks ago and we saw a huge glowing object skimming the skyline! It was huge looked black in colour with a burning effect around it! Sounds very similar to your siting! It came across our sky from the west and took 20 seconds to disapear over the horizon! Very scary! We wondered if it was a small meteor burning up and going into the ocean?

spacermike007
Asternaut

big dipper supernova?

Post by spacermike007 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:33 pm

In Jan. 2011 I noticed a new ?star? almost dead centre of the bucket of the big dipper. I t remained bright for about 10 days...can anyone check what it was, it is now not naked eye visible.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: big dipper supernova?

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm

spacermike007 wrote:In Jan. 2011 I noticed a new ?star? almost dead centre of the bucket of the big dipper. I t remained bright for about 10 days...can anyone check what it was, it is now not naked eye visible.
There was no astronomical phenomenon that would explain what you saw.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

spacermike007 wrote:In Jan. 2011 I noticed a new ?star? almost dead centre of the bucket of the big dipper. I t remained bright for about 10 days...can anyone check what it was, it is now not naked eye visible.
What a pity you didn't report this the same evening you saw it!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Meteor Wayne

Post by Meteor Wayne » Wed May 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
There was no astronomical phenomenon that would explain what you saw.
Hi Chris, know you from meteorobs.

To all, if you see a bright meteor, report it here:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball2/form2.php

Meteor Wayne