JPL: Mars Rover Examines Odd Material at Small, Young Crater

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

JPL: Mars Rover Examines Odd Material at Small, Young Crater

Post by bystander » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Mars Rover Examines Odd Material at Small, Young Crater
NASA JPL 2010-096 - 2010 March 24
Weird coatings on rocks beside a young Martian crater remain puzzling after a preliminary look at data from examination of the site by NASA's Opportunity rover.

The rover spent six weeks investigating the crater called "Concepción" before resuming its long journey this month. The crater is about 10 meters (33 feet) in diameter. Dark rays extending from it, as seen from orbit, flagged it in advance as a target of interest because the rays suggest the crater is young.

The rocks ejected outward from the impact that dug Concepción are chunks of the same type of bedrock Opportunity has seen at hundreds of locations since landing in January 2004: soft, sulfate-rich sandstone holding harder peppercorn-size dark spheres like berries in a muffin. The little spheres, rich in iron, gained the nickname "blueberries."

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Re: JPL: Mars Rover Examines Odd Material at Small, Young Cr

Post by wonderboy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Mars has to hold life. Even if it is in its most primitive form. good pictures bystander. I love the red planet.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?