NS: Higgs boson: is a result imminent?

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

NS: Higgs boson: is a result imminent?

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am

Higgs boson: is a result imminent?
New Scientist | Short Sharp Science | 12 July 2010
Could the elusive Higgs boson finally be in sight? On his blog, physicist Tommaso Dorigo of the University of Padua writes about talk of a tentative hint of the Higgs at the Tevatron, a particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois.

"It reached my ear, from two different, possibly independent sources, that an experiment at the Tevatron is about to release some evidence of a light Higgs boson signal. Some say a three-sigma effect, others do not make explicit claims but talk of a unexpected result," writes Dorigo.

The blog post is low on detail but if the "three-sigma" signature - a reference to the statistical certainty of the rumoured result - turns out to be real, it will be an immense discovery.

The Higgs, sometimes called the "God particle", was proposed to explain why particles have mass. It is the only particle in the standard model of particle physics that hasn't been found. Spotting it would confirm the theory, while ruling it out would point the way to more exotic, new theories.

The Tevatron has been making steady progress in the hunt for the standard model Higgs. Over the years, data collected by the DZero and CDF experiments at the collider have whittled down the window of possible masses where the particle might be found. Last year, Tevatron physicists predicted that they'd have enough data by early 2011 to either find or rule out the Higgs and estimated they have a 50% chance of spotting it by the end of 2010.

It's hard to know what to make of the rumour all by itself. But more news may be coming soon from Paris, where particle physicists will meet in a few weeks to present their results at the International Conference on High Energy Physics.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Discovery: Higgs Boson Discovered? Not So Fast.

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:25 am

Higgs Boson Discovered? Not So Fast.
Discovery News | 12 July 2010
The particle physics community is buzzing about a blog posted by a University of Padua (Italy) physicist saying that he's been hearing rumors about a "light Higgs boson" discovery at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Batavia, Illinois.

Tommaso Dorigo, a physicist and blogger who is no stranger to controversy, posted a blog titled "Rumors About A Light Higgs" saying, "an experiment at the Tevatron is about to release some evidence of a light Higgs boson signal."

The UK's Telegraph was quick to declare that the Tevatron "has found Higgs boson" but New Scientist was more cautious, speculating that there might be a big announcement coming soon.

Dorigo goes into some detail about hearing "voices about a possible new "three-sigma" Higgs effect" but points out that "others do not make explicit claims but talk of a unexpected result."

So at least we know where we stand: This is simply a rumor, coming from a research group (or groups) suggesting compelling evidence for the detection of a Higgs boson event.
So, it looks like we'll have to wait until scientists present their research at the International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP) in Paris on July 22 before we start getting too excited.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

PhysOrg: Physicist's blog rumors Fermilab Higgs discovery

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Physicist's blog post rumors Higgs discovery at Fermilab
PhysOrg | General Physics | 13 July 2010
A rumor that Fermilab’s Tevatron may have discovered evidence of a light Higgs boson wouldn't be the first unsupported speculation from Tommaso Dorigo, a physicist at the University of Padua in Italy, on his lively blog, but it is probably one of the most intriguing. Even a slight possibility that the world’s second largest accelerator has beaten the largest, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), in finding the last particle in the Standard Model is enough to catch most people’s attention.
Dorigo is not part of the group(s) that may have discovered the Higgs evidence, and he is quick to admit that the rumor is pretty groundless right now. It seems that he just wants to share the excitement of the rumor he’s heard with the rest of the world. He adds that more news about the subject may be revealed by physicists later this month at the International Conference on High Energy Physics in Paris.

Tommaso Dorigo's blog post: "Rumors About A Light Higgs"

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

NS: Old faithful Tevatron collider leads race to Higgs

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Old faithful Tevatron collider leads race to Higgs
IT COULD do with a lick of paint and may not break any records any time soon. But the Tevatron collider in Batavia, Illinois, which has been slamming protons and antiprotons together for the last 27 years, is poised to beat Europe's much-vaunted Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in the race to find the first hints of a Higgs boson. How has an ageing workhorse come to have the edge on its successor?

A new batch of data collected at the Tevatron will be presented next week at the International Conference on High Energy Physics in Paris, France. The results are likely to tighten the constraints on the possible mass of the Higgs boson, the particle thought to be responsible for giving other particles their mass.

The Tevatron (pictured) is set to shut up shop by the end of September 2011, but the progress revealed in Paris could bolster the case to let it operate for another three years. ...

If it is allowed to stay open - at a cost of around $50 million a year - the steady collision rate the Tevatron can achieve, combined with improvements in its data analysis and the closure of the LHC throughout 2012 for repairs, will favour the Tevatron in the hunt for the first signs of the Higgs, say researchers at the collider. ...

Will extending the Tevatron's life be worth it? Korytov, who has worked at both colliders, suggests it could be counterproductive. "Running the two in parallel is a dilution of resources, particularly human resources," he says.

Others point out that recent Tevatron results, such as hints of a new generation of fundamental particles, show that the collider is far from over the hill. They also insist two colliders are better than one, especially if there are more teething problems at the LHC. "The LHC is still an untested machine," says Roser. "We can expect where we're going to be by 2014. They can only make projections."

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

FNAL: Allowed mass range for Higgs boson narrowed

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Fermilab experiments narrow allowed mass range for Higgs boson
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) | 26 July 2010
New constraints on the elusive Higgs particle are more stringent than ever before. Scientists of the CDF and DZero collider experiments at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Fermilab revealed their latest Higgs search results today (July 26) at the International Conference on High Energy Physics, held in Paris from July 22-28. Their results rule out a significant fraction of the allowed mass range established by earlier experiments.

The Fermilab experiments now exclude a Higgs particle with a mass between 158 and 175 GeV/c2. Searches by previous experiments and constraints due to the Standard Model of Particles and Forces indicate that the Higgs particle should have a mass between 114 and 185 GeV/c2. (For comparison: 100 GeV/c2 is equivalent to 107 times the mass of a proton.) The new Fermilab result rules out about a quarter of the expected Higgs mass range.
No Sighting of Higgs, But Fermilab Physicists Say They May Be Close
Science NOW | 26 July 2010
A week ago, a rumor sped across the Internet that physicists at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Batavia, Illinois, had discovered a particle called the Higgs boson, the most-coveted prize in high-energy physics and the fundamental particle thought to give all others their mass. In fact, researchers working with Fermilab's aging atom smasher, the Tevatron, have not spotted the Higgs. But they have narrowed the range of masses in which the particle most likely exists, they reported here today at the International Conference on High Energy Physics.

That improved nonobservation has Fermilab physicists convinced that they have a real shot at seeing the Higgs before it's bagged by a more-powerful atom smasher, Europe's Large Hadron Collider (LHC). So they're pushing to run the Tevatron for three extra years, through 2014. "There's definitely a window of opportunity here," says Dmitri Denisov, a physicist at Fermilab and co-spokesperson for the 500-member team working with the massive D0 particle detector, part of the lab's Higgs-hunting effort.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: NS: Higgs boson: is a result imminent?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

I suppose there must be deep and subtle reasoning behind this, but I can't help but notice, within the wording of those two news items above, these two statements:

"... the Higgs boson ... the fundamental particle thought to give all others their mass."

"the Higgs particle should have a mass between 114 and 185 GeV/c2. (For comparison: 100 GeV/c2 is equivalent to 107 times the mass of a proton.)"

These, conflated in my no doubt confused mind, seem to be saying that the particle that gives mass to other particles is itself well over 100 times the mass of the proton. So how can it give mass to the proton -- or any other particle that weighs less than it (which is all of them, I think)?

Rob

Henning Makholm
Science Officer

Post by Henning Makholm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:01 pm

rstevenson wrote:These, conflated in my no doubt confused mind, seem to be saying that the particle that gives mass to other particles is itself well over 100 times the mass of the proton. So how can it give mass to the proton -- or any other particle that weighs less than it (which is all of them, I think)?
What this undoubtedly means is that your mental model of what it means for it to "give mass to the proton" is wrong (i.e., that it does not correspond to the actual reasoning of the theory).

Unfortunately, I don't know quite what would be "right" here. I've seen the mathematics behind the Higgs mechanism presented, but it was beyond me to actually understand it. But I'm fairly certain that the "Higgs boson gives mass to the other particles" soundbite is so horrendously simplified and layered through several enveloping metaphors that it is utterly, completely, worthless for laypeople like you or me to get any idea of the structure of the theory. It may still be the best (or only) available straw to grasp for science journalists who need to give their readers some idea about what their taxes fund. Just that isn't saying much.

What we're dealing with here is deep within Quantum Field Theory, in which "particle" is actually codespeak for a continuously varying (component of a) field. These fields evolve according to a sort of Schrödinger equation which happens to work out such that not-too-large disturbances in the field propagate as if they were discrete particles (and these particles can then be visualized using Feynman diagrams and so forth). There's a field whose small disturbances are electrons, one for each flavor of quarks and so forth.

What is then postulated is an additional field (or component of a combined field), the Higgs field. This field is then assumed to interact with the already existing fields in a way such that various terms in their combined Schrödinger that represents the mass of the original particles combine into a mathematical form that somehow looks "more beautiful" or "less arbitrary" to people who understand the math, than the original theory without Higgs.

But is this true? The most accessible way to confirm the existence of a Higgs field is to make small disturbances in it and see how they behave. Such disturbances would behave like discrete particles with a certain mass, i.e. the Higgs particle. However, (though I am by no means sure here, it seems the best way to make sense of what I've read) the minor disturbances in the field that we'd interpret as Higgs particles are only lower-order effects of the grander picture where the mass terms interact. It's not as if, in everyday situations, there are Higgs particles zipping around and dispensing mass to other ones; the field and its interactions with other fields is what counts, and the proton mass and observable Higgs particles are both effects of that underlying cause.

That is, if I'm not completely mistaken, which I may well be. Anybody know an accessible self-study text that teaches QFT comprehensibly?
Henning Makholm

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 am

What you say certainly sounds plausible -- but the fact that it's plausible to me doesn't mean much. :lol:

I have both Harrison's Cosmology, and the 3-volume Feynman Lectures here near at hand, but I haven't gotten very far in my reading of them. And they may not be much help with this sort of bleeding edge research anyway.

Thanks for the illumination. This room is very dark, so even a small candle helps.

Rob