Science@NASA: Down the Lunar Rabbit-hole

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Science@NASA: Down the Lunar Rabbit-hole

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Down the Lunar Rabbit-hole
NASA Science News | 12 July 2010
A whole new world came to life for Alice when she followed the White Rabbit down the hole. There was a grinning cat, a Hookah-smoking caterpillar, a Mad Hatter, and much more. It makes you wonder... what's waiting down the rabbit-hole on the Moon?

NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) is beaming back images of caverns hundreds of feet deep -- beckoning scientists to follow.

"They could be entrances to a geologic wonderland," says Mark Robinson of Arizona State University, principal investigator for the LRO camera. "We believe the giant holes are skylights that formed when the ceilings of underground lava tubes collapsed."
Back in the 1960s, before humans set foot on the Moon, researchers proposed the existence of a network of tunnels, relics of molten lava rivers, beneath the lunar surface. They based their theory on early orbital photographs that revealed hundreds of long, narrow channels called rilles winding across the vast lunar plains, or maria. Scientists believed these rilles to be surface evidence of below-ground tunnels through which lava flowed billions of years ago.

"It's exciting that we've now confirmed this idea," says Robinson. "The Kaguya and LROC photos prove that these caverns are skylights to lava tubes, so we know such tunnels can exist intact at least in small segments after several billion years."
If the tunnels leading off the skylights have stood the test of time and are still open, they could someday provide human visitors protection from incoming meteoroids and other perils.

"The tunnels offer a perfect radiation shield and a very benign thermal environment," says Robinson. "Once you get down to 2 meters under the surface of the Moon, the temperature remains fairly constant, probably around -30 to -40 degrees C."

That may sound cold, but it would be welcome news to explorers seeking to escape the temperature extremes of the lunar surface. At the Moon's equator, mid-day temperatures soar to 100 deg C and plunge to a frigid -150 deg C at night.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Science@NASA: Down the Lunar Rabbit-hole

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:02 am

I have just the guy to toss down that rabbit hole:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Science@NASA: Down the Lunar Rabbit-hole

Post by owlice » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:06 am

neufer wrote:I have just the guy to toss down that rabbit hole: