Space: Neptune Finally Makes First Orbit Since Discovery

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Space: Neptune Finally Makes First Orbit Since Discovery

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 am

Neptune Finally Makes First Orbit Around the Sun Since Discovery In 1846
Space.com | Night Sky | 18 Aug 2010
The planet Neptune will be in opposition — when the sun, Earth, and a planet fall in a straight line on Aug. 20. The planet will be exactly opposite the sun in the sky, being highest in the sky at local midnight. Usually this is also the point where the planet is closest to the Earth.

This opposition is special because Neptune will be returning close to the spot where it was discovered in 1846, marking its first complete trip around the sun since its discovery.

Coincidentally opposition in 1846 also fell on Aug. 20, although the planet wasn't actually spotted until over a month later, on Sept. 23.

This Neptune sky map shoes where to find the planet as it completes its first orbit since astronomers first discovered it.

Source: Starry Night Education
Home Run! Neptune Completes First Orbit Since Discovery
Discovery News | 18 Aug 2010
As we approach the 164th anniversary of Neptune's discovery, there's another reason why we should celebrate this event in astronomical history: the gas giant is about to complete its first orbit since it was first spotted.

Although this is pretty exciting, the lead-up to Neptune's first sighting reads like a detective novel, a testament to the ingenuity of astronomers in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

In 1781, British astronomer Sir William Herschel was the first to notice something strange about Uranus' orbit. By 1821, French astronomer Alexis Bouvard surmised that Neptune was being perturbed by the gravity of another massive planet in the outer solar system. There had to be something out there tugging at the 7th planet from the sun.

Then in the 1840's, English and French astronomers John Couch Adams and Urbain Le Verrier independently went on to calculate where this mystery planet should be in the night sky by purely measuring these little 'wobbles' in Uranus' path.

55 years after Herschel noticed Uranus' perturbations, the distant planet was officially discovered by German astronomer Johann Galle in the location predicted by Couch Adams and Le Verrier. It was named Neptune.

As Neptune is located so far away from the sun (approximately 4.5 billion kilometers, 30 Astronomical Units (AU), or 30-times the sun-Earth distance), it takes over 164 Earth years to complete one full orbit around our star.

As the first direct observation of the blue-green gas giant was made on Sept. 23, 1846 -- 164 years ago -- Neptune is about to arrive back in approximately the same spot as where it was first spotted by Galle.

Interestingly, Neptune was also observed just after it had reached opposition with the Earth -- a time when the sun, Earth and Neptune are roughly in alignment and when Neptune usually makes its closest approach to our planet. Opposition will occur on Aug. 20.

Source: Space.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Space: Neptune Finally Makes First Orbit Since Discovery

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:37 am

The first orbit since Neptune was first recognized as a planet, perhaps;
but Neptune has orbited over 2.4 times since it was first spotted by Galileo:

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 49#p109549
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 83#p108283
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 819#p99819
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:54 am

neufer in wrote:The first orbit since Neptune was first recognized as a planet, perhaps;
but Neptune has orbited over 2.4 times since it was first spotted by Galileo:

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 49#p109549
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 83#p108283
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 819#p99819
neufer in [url=http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17108&p=108283#p108283]Believing it to be a fixed star[/url] ... wrote:
neufer wrote:
ChiefChuckalucky wrote:I am wondering what that speck of light is directly above Jupiter.
I'm thinking it's a star, because it isn't in the plane of moons.
Neptune (magnitude 7.8 ) & Triton (magnitude 13.5 ).
Believing it to be a fixed star, "ChiefChuckalucky" is not credited with Neptune's discovery!
And neither was Galileo!

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 am

_______ Waiting for Godot Act I

LUCKY: Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves us dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and suffers like the divine Miranda with those who for reasons unknown but time will tell are plunged in torment plunged in fire whose fire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast hell to heaven so blue still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so fast and considering what is more that as a result of the labors left unfinished crowned by the Acacacacademy of Anthropopopometry of Essy-in-Possy of Testew and Cunard it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the labors of men that as a result of the labors unfinished of Testew and Cunnard it is established as hereinafter but not so fast for reasons unknown that as a result of the public works of Puncher and Wattmann it is established beyond all doubt that in view of the labors of Fartov and Belcher left unfinished for reasons unknown of Testew and Cunard left unfinished it is established what many deny that man in Possy of Testew and Cunard that man in Essy that man in short that man in brief in spite of the strides of alimentation and defecation wastes and pines wastes and pines and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the strides of physical culture the practice of sports such as tennis football running cycling swimming flying floating riding gliding conating camogie skating tennis of all kinds dying flying sports of all sorts autumn summer winter winter tennis of all kinds hockey of all sorts penicillin and succedanea in a word I resume flying gliding golf over nine and eighteen holes tennis of all sorts in a word for reasons unknown in Feckham Peckham Fulham Clapham namely concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown but time will tell fades away I resume Fulham Clapham in a word the dead loss per head since the death of Bishop Berkeley being to the tune of one inch four ounce per head approximately by and large more or less to the nearest decimal good measure round figures stark naked in the stockinged feet in Connemara in a word for reasons unknown no matter what matter the facts are there and considering what is more much more grave that in the light of the labors lost of Steinweg and Peterman it appears what is more much more grave that in the light the light the light of the labors lost of Steinweg and Peterman that in the plains in the mountains by the seas by the rivers running water running fire the air is the same and then the earth namely the air and then the earth in the great cold the great dark the air and the earth abode of stones in the great cold alas alas in the year of their Lord six hundred and something the air the earth the sea the earth abode of stones in the great deeps the great cold on sea on land and in the air I resume for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis the facts are there but time will tell I resume alas alas on on in short in fine on on abode of stones who can doubt it I resume but not so fast I resume the skull fading fading fading and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis on on the beard the flames the tears the stones so blue so calm alas alas on on the skull the skull the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the labors abandoned left unfinished graver still abode of stones in a word I resume alas alas abandoned unfinished the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the skull alas the stones Cunard (mêlée, final vociferations). . . tennis . . . the stones . . . so calm . . . Cunard . . . unfinished . . .
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:52 am

neufer wrote:_______ Waiting for Godot Act I
Wow, makes me think of anniekapn. I'm sure I don't want to know what it means.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:50 am

Well, Godot never arrived. Neptune at least arrives every 164th year at the spot where it was discovered.

(Oh, wait, it doesn't arrive at the spot where it was discovered every 164th year, since the Sun has dragged Neptune and its entire family of planets, moons, minor planets, asteroids, comets and assorted space debris with it a distance corresponding to 164 divided by 250 million of its path around the center of the Milky Way. Neptune will not get back to the same spot again until 250 million minus 164 years. Oh well.)

Ann
Color Commentator

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Ann wrote:Neptune will not get back to the same spot again until 250 million minus 164 years. Oh well.)
and by that time that exact spot will be dragged outside of the galaxy by space expansion.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:08 pm

bystander wrote:I'm sure I don't want to know what it means.
Then I'll just tell ChiefChuckaLUCKY:
  • VLADIMIR: We're waiting for Godot.

ESTRAGON: (despairingly). Ah! (Pause.) You're sure it was here?

VLADIMIR: What?

ESTRAGON: That we were to wait.

VLADIMIR: He said by the tree. (They look at the tree. :tree: ) Do you see any others?

ESTRAGON: What is it?

VLADIMIR: I don't know. A willow.

ESTRAGON: Looks to me more like a bush.

VLADIMIR: A shrub.

ESTRAGON: A bush.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_in_astrology#Neptune wrote:
<<Astrologers associate the planet Neptune with idealism & compassion, but also with illusion, trickery, confusion and deception. Neptune governs hospitals, prisons, mental institutions, and any other place* that involves a retreat from society. Its appearance coincided with the discovery of anesthetics and hypnotism. In Art, the impressionist movement began a trend away from literal representation, to one based on the subtle, changing moods of light and color. Neptune is particularly associated with the thalamus, the spinal canal, and seVERE or mysterious illnesses and neuroses. Neptune spends approximately 14 years in each sign of the zodiac.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

UT: Clearing the Confusion on Neptune’s Orbit

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Ann wrote:Neptune will not get back to the same spot again until 250 million minus 164 years. Oh well.)
Guest wrote:and by that time that exact spot will be dragged outside of the galaxy by space expansion.
Clearing the Confusion on Neptune’s Orbit
Universe Today | 26 Aug 2010
Last week, Space.com had a great article about how on August 20, 2010, Neptune finally completed one orbit around the Sun since its discovery in 1846, and was now back to its original discovery position in the night sky . The original article was widely quoted, and created a lot of buzz on Twitter, Facebook and other websites. But then, later in the day some contradictory info came out, culminating with Bill Folkner, a technologist at JPL declaring via Twitter: “Neptune will reach the same ecliptic longitude it had on Sep. 23, 1846, on July 12, 2011.” Space.com ended up amending their article, but why the confusion? And could both statements be true? Depending on your perspective, perhaps yes.
Neptune was discovered Sept 23, 1846. Adding 164.8 years to that date brings us to July 2011, and specifically 12th July. However taking the Earth’s motion into account we have a number of close approaches. Confusion about this situation is exacerbated by the fact that Neptune retrogrades at opposition.

And so, in April and July of this year (2010), Neptune came very close to returning to its apparent position in the sky at the time of its discovery (in geocentric right ascension and declination), actually much closer than it will be next year when it returns to its 1846 heliocentric longitude, and so returned to the spot where it was discovered in 1846, in the constellation Capricornus.

But still, Neptune will not complete its first orbit since being discovered until in 2011.
This gives us a celebration to look forward to in 2011!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:42 pm

neufer wrote:_______ Waiting for Godot Act I
:blah: !!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.