CfA: New Planet-Finding Method Scores Its First Discovery

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

CfA: New Planet-Finding Method Scores Its First Discovery

Post by bystander » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

New Method of Finding Planets Scores Its First Discovery
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics | 2013 May 13
[img3=""Einstein's planet," formally known as Kepler-76b, is a "hot Jupiter" that orbits its star every 1.5 days. Its diameter is about 25 percent larger than Jupiter and it weighs twice as much. This artist's conception shows Kepler-76b orbiting its host star, which has been tidally distorted into a slight football shape (exaggerated here for effect). The planet was detected using the BEER algorithm, which looked for brightness changes in the star as the planet orbits due to relativistic BEaming, Ellipsoidal variations, and Reflected light from the planet. (Credit: David A. Aguilar (CfA))"]http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/image_archiv ... /lores.jpg[/img3]
Detecting alien worlds presents a significant challenge since they are small, faint, and close to their stars. The two most prolific techniques for finding exoplanets are radial velocity (looking for wobbling stars) and transits (looking for dimming stars). A team at Tel Aviv University and the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) has just discovered an exoplanet using a new method that relies on Einstein's special theory of relativity.

"We are looking for very subtle effects. We needed high quality measurements of stellar brightnesses, accurate to a few parts per million," said team member David Latham of the CfA.

"This was only possible because of the exquisite data NASA is collecting with the Kepler spacecraft," added lead author Simchon Faigler of Tel Aviv University, Israel.

Although Kepler was designed to find transiting planets, this planet was not identified using the transit method. Instead, it was discovered using a technique first proposed by Avi Loeb of the CfA and his colleague Scott Gaudi (now at Ohio State University) in 2003. (Coincidentally, they developed their theory while visiting the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, where Einstein once worked.)

The new method looks for three small effects that occur simultaneously as a planet orbits the star. Einstein's "beaming" effect causes the star to brighten as it moves toward us, tugged by the planet, and dim as it moves away. The brightening results from photons "piling up" in energy, as well as light getting focused in the direction of the star's motion due to relativistic effects.

"This is the first time that this aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity has been used to discover a planet," said co-author Tsevi Mazeh of Tel Aviv University.

The team also looked for signs that the star was stretched into a football shape by gravitational tides from the orbiting planet. The star would appear brighter when we observe the "football" from the side, due to more visible surface area, and fainter when viewed end-on. The third small effect was due to starlight reflected by the planet itself.

Once the new planet was identified, it was confirmed by Latham using radial velocity observations gathered by the TRES spectrograph at Whipple Observatory in Arizona, and by Lev Tal-Or (Tel Aviv University) using the SOPHIE spectrograph at the Haute-Provence Observatory in France. A closer look at the Kepler data also showed that the planet transits its star, providing additional confirmation.

"Einstein's planet," formally known as Kepler-76b, is a "hot Jupiter" that orbits its star every 1.5 days. Its diameter is about 25 percent larger than Jupiter and it weighs twice as much. It orbits a type F star located about 2,000 light-years from Earth in the constellation Cygnus.

The planet is tidally locked to its star, always showing the same face to it, just as the Moon is tidally locked to Earth. As a result, Kepler-76b broils at a temperature of about 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit.

Interestingly, the team found strong evidence that the planet has extremely fast jet-stream winds that carry the heat around it. As a result, the hottest point on Kepler-76b isn't the substellar point ("high noon") but a location offset by about 10,000 miles. This effect has only been observed once before, on HD 189733b, and only in infrared light with the Spitzer Space Telescope. This is the first time optical observations have shown evidence of alien jet stream winds at work.

Although the new method can't find Earth-sized worlds using current technology, it offers astronomers a unique discovery opportunity. Unlike radial velocity searches, it doesn't require high-precision spectra. Unlike transits, it doesn't require a precise alignment of planet and star as seen from Earth.

"Each planet-hunting technique has its strengths and weaknesses. And each novel technique we add to the arsenal allows us to probe planets in new regimes," said CfA's Avi Loeb.

Kepler-76b was identified by the BEER algorithm, whose acronym stands for relativistic BEaming, Ellipsoidal, and Reflection/emission modulations. BEER was developed by Professor Tsevi Mazeh and his student, Simchon Faigler, at Tel Aviv University, Israel.

TAU team takes part in discovering new planet
Tel Aviv University | 2013 May 13

BEER analysis of Kepler and CoRoT light curves: I. Discovery of Kepler-76b: A hot Jupiter with evidence for superrotation - Simchon Faigler et al
  • arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1304.6841 > 25 Apr 2013 (v1), 10 May 2013 (v3)

Using the Theory of Relativity and BEER to Find Exoplanets
Universe Today | Nancy Atkinson | 2013 May 13

Einstein's BEER Planet Discovered
Discovery News | Ian O'Neill | 2013 May 14
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: CfA: New Planet-Finding Method Scores Its First Discover

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Being a Brit, when I read "stretched to a football shape" I was confused, because the image that immediately comes to mind is this: :arrow:

But - duh! - THIS is what is meant, of course:

This research is a splendid piece of detective work - one has to give them a congratulatory toast! :b: :b: :eyebrows:
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Re: CfA: New Planet-Finding Method Scores Its First Discover

Post by Ann » Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 am

I sympathize with your "football trouble", Margarita. When I visited the United States in 1971 as a naïve 16-year-old, I tried talking about "football" and was met by blank stares, until someone replied, "Do you mean soccer?". I didn't know I did.

I agree with you that the detective work that went into this discovery is indeed splendid. Personally I'm a fan of Einstein - I mean, I'm really a fan of him, and I'm so impressed that his theory is holding up no matter what tests astronomers are subjecting it to - so I thought it was fun that his theory of relativity helped astronomers find this particular planet.

Of course I groaned a bit when I saw the artwork showing a bright yellow F-type star. F-type stars are bluer than the Sun, and the Sun's color, as seen from space, is white.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Einstein encomium

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am

Yes, I'm also an Einstein fan - tho probably less knowledgeably than you are, Ann! Although even I can see that the way that the Theory of Relativity keeps on holding up, one hundred years after he formulated it (them) is rather staggering.

But, it is the man's gentleness, humility and "humaneness" that so impress me.

I love the - probably apocryphal - story about Einstein helping a neighbour's child with her homework.

And also the famous letter written to a friend whose child had then just recently died.

Margarita

PS - I think that Blue Stars are as unfamiliar to illustrators as blue moons :wink:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

'Tidal football/egg variable' with SUB-harmonics

Post by neufer » Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

SAO: Einstein's Exoplanet

Post by bystander » Mon May 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Einstein's Exoplanet
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
Weekly Science Update | 2013 May 24
Eight hundred and eighty nine exoplanets (planets around stars other than our Sun) have been discovered to date. Most of them were found using the Kepler satellite, which spots small dips in a star’s light as an orbiting planet periodically blocked our view (a "transit"). The satellite recently halted its operations due to a faulty gyroscope, and so its mission could possibly be over, but there remain a large dataset of possible other exoplanets for study. Meanwhile, NASA has selected a new mission for development: TESS (the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite), on which CfA astronomers, who have played active roles in exoplanet research, continue their leadership.

The Kepler dataset has been steadily mined for transiting planets. In a dramatic first, CfA astronomer Dave Latham and four of his colleagues have discovered a new planet in the Kepler data by searching not for transits but for a less well known effect of Einstein's relativity: relativistic beaming. (Latham is being honored this week with a conference entitled, "Exoplanets in the Post-Kepler Era"). The effect can occur when an orbiting planet induces a slight wobble in the star's motion with a corresponding modulation of stellar brightness. The effect in an exoplanet context was first predicted by two CfA astronomers in 2003, Avi Loeb and Scott Gaudi, in a paper the referee claimed would never lead to practical results; the variation in the brightness is typically only a few parts per ten thousand.

The new planet has a mass about twice that of Jupiter, orbits its star every 1.5 days, and (thanks to followup observations using other observatories) has a hot atmosphere with fast moving jet-stream winds. The new result not only adds another exoplanet to the growing catalog, it demonstrates the ability of relativistic effects to discover and study exoplanets, and the power of very high-precision stellar monitoring.

<< Previous Science Update
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor