NBI: Cosmic Collisions on Andromeda satellite galaxy

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

NBI: Cosmic Collisions on Andromeda satellite galaxy

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Niels Bohr Institute: Stream of stars in Andromeda satellite galaxy shows cosmic collision

23 February 2014
The Andromeda Galaxy is surrounded by a swarm of small satellite galaxies. Researchers from the Niels Bohr Institute, among others, have detected a stream of stars in one of the Andromeda Galaxy’s outer satellite galaxies, a dwarf galaxy called Andromeda II. The movement of the stars tells us that what we are observing is the remnant of a merger between two dwarf galaxies. Mergers between galaxies of such low mass has not been observed before. The results are published in the scientific journal, Nature.  The remnant of a merger between two dwarf galaxies in Andromeda II
The diagram shows the dwarf galaxy Andromeda II with the stars belonging to the stream marked in blue. Their movement show that Andromeda II is a merger of two dwarf galaxies.

Read more at:
http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/news1 ... collision/
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS