Chandra: Hardy star survives supernova blast

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Chandra: Hardy star survives supernova blast

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 pm

DEM L241: Hardy Star Survives Supernova Blast

• Astronomers have found evidence for a companion star that survived the blast of a supernova explosion.

• Chandra's X-rays reveal a point-like source within the debris field produced when a massive star exploded.

• This system contains either a neutron star or black hole and a surviving massive star.

• The supernova remnant is called DEM L241 and is found in the Large Magellanic Cloud, a small neighboring galaxy to the Milky Way.

A new composite image of DEM L241 contains Chandra data (purple) that outlines the supernova remnant. The remnant remains hot and therefore X-ray bright for thousands of years after the original explosion occurred. Also included in this image are optical data from the Magellanic Cloud Emission Line Survey (MCELS) taken from ground-based telescopes in Chile (yellow and cyan), which trace the HII emission produced by DEM L241. Additional optical data from the Digitized Sky Survey (white) are also included, showing stars in the field.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS