ASU: Gusev Crater on Mars WAS a lake after all

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

ASU: Gusev Crater on Mars WAS a lake after all

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:47 pm

More breaking news about Mars and water:
Gusev Crater once held a lake after all, says ASU Mars scientist
April 9, 2014

If desert mirages occur on Mars, "Lake Gusev" belongs among them. This come-and-go body of ancient water has come and gone more than once, at least in the eyes of Mars scientists.

Now, however, it's finally shifting into sharper focus, thanks to a new analysis of old data by a team led by Steve Ruff, associate research professor at Arizona State University's Mars Space Flight Facility in the School of Earth and Space Exploration. The team's report was just published in the April 2014 issue of the journal Geology.
Comanche [ a rock outcrop about two miles from Gusev] started out as a volcanic ash deposit known as tephra that originally covered the Columbia Hills and adjacent plains. This material, Ruff explains, came from explosive eruptions somewhere within or around Gusev.

Then floodwaters entered the crater through the huge valley that breaches Gusev's southern rim. These floods appear to have ponded long enough to alter the tephra, producing briny solutions. When the brines evaporated, they left behind residues of carbonate minerals. As the lake filled and dried, perhaps many times in succession, it loaded Comanche and its neighbor rocks with carbonates. ...
read more at
https://asunews.asu.edu/20140409-lake-gusev
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS