HZDR: HADES searches for Dark Matter

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

HZDR: HADES searches for Dark Matter

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 pm

https://www.hzdr.de/db/Cms?pNid=99&pOid=41693
HADES searches for Dark Matter

Although Dark Energy and Dark Matter appear to constitute over 95 percent of the universe, nobody knows of which particles they are made up. Astrophysicists now crossed one potential Dark Matter candidate – the Dark Photon or U boson – off the list in top position. ...

...Cosmology on precision level requires the existence of Dark Matter; however, the various experiments have not found any positive hint. The negative results on the U boson by HADES and other experiments make the hunt for new physics beyond the Standard Model more challenging. For instance, high-precision experiments on the magnetic moment of the muon delivered hints for a discrepancy with predictions by the Standard Model. The discrepancy has been proposed to be resolved by the U boson. But the recently achieved negative search results seem to exclude such an option. This gives the impression that the tension of the Standard Model and cosmological request of extensions as well as small deviations of the Standard Model predictions and data, such as the muon magnetic moment and other observables, is increasing, thus making this frontier of physics very fascinating with high discovery potential.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: HZDR: HADES searches for Dark Matter

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 pm

"and another one down, and another one down, and another one bites the dust."

Or, one could say that HADES just sent the U boson to hell, figuratively speaking of course.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.