HEAPOW: Streaking (2014 May 26)

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

HEAPOW: Streaking (2014 May 26)

Post by bystander » Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Image HEAPOW: Streaking (2014 May 26)

Is it the worst of times for galaxy ESO 137-001? This galaxy is the unfortunate victim of an intergalactic theft. As it tries to artfully dodge through the crowd of galaxies making up the cluster Abell 3627, the hot intracluster gas stealthily steals the cold interstellar medium from ESO 137-001. As the image above shows, this is really a clumsy attempt which has left behind tell-tale evidence of the crime. Or perhaps "tell-tail" evidence is the more appropriate phrase, since, as shown in the picture above (an optical image with an X-ray image superimposed in blue), evidence of the theft can be clearly seen as two X-ray emitting tails of gas trailing behind the galaxy. Astronomers think that the two tails result from the evaporation of the stripped cooler gas from the two major spiral arms in ESO 137-001, producing emission at a temperature of about 10 million degrees visible to an X-ray telescope like the Chandra X-ray Observatory. This theft is bad news for ESO 137-001, since the loss of its material means that the galaxy's capacity to produce new stars is severely reduced. But perhaps the news isn't all bad - astronomers believe they have found some evidence of new stars forming within the trails themselves.
CXC: ESO 137-001: Life Is Too Fast, Too Furious for This Runaway Galaxy
NASA/STScI: Life Is Too Fast, Too Furious for This Runaway Galaxy
ESA/HEIC: Spiral galaxy spills blood and guts
Hubble Heritage: Spiral Galaxy ESO 137-001
APOD: Stripping ESO 137-001 (2014 Mar 28)

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=33199
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=33036
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=18166
<< Previous HEAPOW High Energy Astrophysics Picture of the Week Next HEAPOW >>
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: HEAPOW: Streaking (2014 May 26)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Every time I see this galaxy I'm reminded of an extremely painful encounter I once had as a kid out on Padre Island with a Portuguese Man-O'-War. The sting from it's tenticles is worse than a scorpion, wasp or bee sting, and can cover a wide area. Fortunately I only got hit on the lower leg. It's tenticles are blue too, like how they've shown the gas being stripped out of this galaxy.
Last edited by BDanielMayfield on Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 27, 2014 4:37 pm

OUCH!!!

We don't have any truly truly dangerous jellyfish around the Swedish coasts, but we do have this species. The individuals are usually yellow, but some of them are blue. They are my least favorite blue animals by far! Ouch!

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Ann wrote:OUCH!!!

We don't have any truly truly dangerous jellyfish around the Swedish coasts, but we do have this species. The individuals are usually yellow, but some of them are blue. They are my least favorite blue animals by far! Ouch!

Ann
Y'all do much swimming off the Swedish coasts? Intentionally :?: :brr: If so, then maybe it's waters that were warmed off the Texas coast that make it possible, thanks to the Gulf Stream.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 am

Sure, in Sweden everybody wants to take a swim along our coasts in the summer, mostly in July. This picture is from Malmö and our very little brother of Copacabana in Brazil, Ribersborg, You can see Öresund Bridge in the background. This picture is from the new hotspot of Malmö, Västra Hamnen.

Fortunately we hardly get any stinging jellyfish here at all.

Ann
Color Commentator