HEAPOW: Pulses from Possible Pulsar Progenitor (2014 Jun 16)

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

HEAPOW: Pulses from Possible Pulsar Progenitor (2014 Jun 16)

Post by bystander » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Image HEAPOW: Pulses from a Possible Pulsar Progenitor (2014 Jun 16)

Stars more massive than about 8 times the mass of the Sun will eventually explode as supernova as they run out of nuclear fuel. They leave behind supernova remnants and, sometimes, tiny, rapidly spinning neutron stars called pulsars. Pulsars are highly magnetized, and radio and X-ray radiation near the magnetic poles produce pulses as the neutron star revolves. But X-ray pulsations have never been clearly observed in a massive star prior to the supernova explosion, until now. Astronomers, using the XMM-Newton X-ray Observatory, have for the first time seen X-ray pulsations in a massive star called Xi1 CMa. This star is a somewhat peculiar massive star, which shows evidence of an unusually strong magnetic field, and also evidence of optical pulsations caused by the expansion and contraction of the star every 5 hours. The XMM Newton X-ray data show that the star pulses in X-rays with the same period. The plot above shows the X-ray brightness variation (upper plot) compared to the optical brightness variation (lower plot) as measured by the Hipparcos astrometry satellite. The X-ray emission from massive stars like Xi1 CMa is believed to arise from hot pockets of shocked gas distributed to large distances in the thick stellar wind emitted from such stars, and/or pockets of hot gas trapped in the strong magnetic field, and it's not yet clear how the X-ray variations are coupled to the underlying changes in the size of the star.

ESA Science & Technology: Pulsating X-rays allow XMM-Newton to unmask a mysterious star

Discovery of X-ray pulsations from a massive star - Lidia M. Oskinova et al
<< Previous HEAPOW High Energy Astrophysics Picture of the Week Next HEAPOW >>
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: HEAPOW: Pulses from Possible Pulsar Progenitor (2014 Jun

Post by Ann » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:32 am

Xi1 Canis Majoris is a so called Beta Cephei star. They are hot stars of early class B, and they pulsate with short periods. Beta Cephei itself is of course the prototype star of this class.

I should add that, despite what the Wikipedia stub about Beta Cephei variables says, these variables are evolved stars that have left the main sequence.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Ann wrote:
I should add that, despite what the Wikipedia stub about Beta Cephei variables says, these variables are evolved stars that have left the main sequence.

Ann
I'm puzzled as to why you say that, Ann.

Classic Cepheids (named from δ Cephei) are, of course, in the Instability strip, but β Cephei stars are not. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instabilit ... ting_stars)

Below are some references copied from my own notes on variable stars

Dr. John Percy, University of Toronto, editor of the AAVSO Photoelectric Photometry Newsletter wrote:
http://www.aavso.org/vsots_betacep
The Beta Cephei Stars and Their Relatives (2010)
Beta Cephei variables are sometimes known as β Canis Majoris stars, for reasons which will be mentioned below. ... They have spectral types of B0-B2 III-V, corresponding to temperatures of 20-30,000 K, i.e. they are near the top of the main sequence on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram.
http://www.ster.kuleuven.be/~peter/Bstars/
" The Beta Cephei stars and the slowly pulsating B stars are two classes of well established B-type pulsators amongst them and are found in the upper part of the main-sequence"
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 am

Jim Kaler wrote about Beta Canis Majoris (Mirzam):
Mirzam is a very hot, blue class B (B1) bright giant star with a temperature around 25,800 Kelvin.
The temperature and luminosity combined indicate a mass around 15 times that of the Sun and that the star is really more of a "subgiant," one very close to the point of giving up core hydrogen fusion.
My software "summarizes" Xi1 Canis Majoris this way:

Spectral class: B1III

According to my software, Bright Star catalog says this about Xi1 Canis Majoris:

Spectral Class: B0.5IV
Variability: Beta Cep

I don't know how to find Xi1 Canis Majoris in Bright Star catalog by trying to access Bright Star catalog itself on the net. I have never tried it.

As for Beta Cephei itself, my software summarizes its description of it as a B2IIIv SB, with the added comment that "Spectral type is from updated data from after publication of the HIC"

Bright Star catalog, as quoted by my software, describes Beta Cep as belonging to spectral class B1IV. However, Beta Canis Majoris is described by Bright Star catalog (again as quoted by my software) as belonging to spectral class B1 II-III. It definitely seems to be evolved, if that information is to be trusted.

My knowledge of Beta Cephei stars is "old". I read about them, with great fascination (because they were so blue!!) several years ago, and then they were always described as giant stars. The information I find in my software is several years old, too. It is certainly possible that the astronomical community has changed its mind about the evolutionary state of Beta Cephei stars since then. It is fascinating to think of Beta Cephei variables as stars that are just "topping out", having reached their absolute prime, and now stand poised, trembling, for a "change of life".

Ann
Color Commentator

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:08 am

Contraction of star = ( y ) X-ray
Dilate = ( y more increase ) X-ray