Arecibo: Astronomers Find Stream of Gas 2.6M LY Long

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Arecibo: Astronomers Find Stream of Gas 2.6M LY Long

Post by bystander » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Arecibo: Astronomers Find Stream of Gas 2.6M Light-Years Long
Royal Astronomical Society | Arecibo Observatory | 2014 Aug 07
The bridge of gas (shown in green) stretches from the large galaxy at the bottom
left to the group of galaxies at the top. A third nearby galaxy to the right also has
a shorter stream of gas attached to it. The three insets show expanded views of
the different galaxies and the green circle indicates the Arecibo telescope beam.

Credit: Rhys Taylor/Arecibo Galaxy Environment Survey/SDSS Collaboration
Astronomers and students have found a bridge of atomic hydrogen gas 2.6 million light years long between galaxies 500 million light years away. They detected the gas using the William E. Gordon Telescope at the Arecibo Observatory, a radio astronomy facility of the US National Science Foundation sited in Puerto Rico. The team publish their results today in a paper in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

The stream of atomic hydrogen gas is the largest known, a million light years longer than a gas tail found in the Virgo Cluster by another Arecibo project a few years ago. Dr Rhys Taylor, a researcher at the Czech Academy of Sciences and lead author of the paper, said "This was totally unexpected. We frequently see gas streams in galaxy clusters, where there are lots of galaxies close together, but to find something this long and not in a cluster is unprecedented."

It is not just the length of the stream that is surprising but also the amount of gas found in it. Roberto Rodriguez, a 2014 graduate from the University of Puerto Rico in Humacao who worked on the project as an undergraduate, explained "We normally find gas inside galaxies, but here half of the gas – 15 billion times the mass of the Sun – is in the bridge. That’s far more than in the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies combined!"

The team is still investigating the origin of the stream. One notion surmises that the large galaxy at one end of the stream passed close to the group of smaller galaxies at the other end in the past, and that the gas bridge was drawn out as they moved apart. A second notion suggests that the large galaxy plowed straight through the middle of the group, pushing gas out of it. The team plan to use computer simulations to find out which of these ideas can best match the shape of the bridge that is seen with the Arecibo Telescope. ...

The Arecibo Galaxy Environment Survey – VII: A Dense Filament With Extremely Long HI Streams - Rhys Taylor et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Arecibo: Astronomers Find Stream of Gas 2.6M LY Long

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:39 pm

You have no idea how happy I am to read that parody instead of a serious alternative theory. With drive-by guest postings I always fear the worst.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Well, actually I got a crank email about an alternative theory relating to this as well. :)

It was rather disappointing really. It's only borderline crank - I was hoping for giant space goblins, but it's barely even implausible.
"I am reluctant to say (because no one will believe this)."
"At some stage of universal development early universe filaments segmented into what became, called here, Omega bodies. Notable is that these segmented ‘chunks’ were nearly equal in mass size (check the math). (That process is described very simply here.) Most of these primordial objects had spin and angular momentum, plus other qualities not discussed here.
Some, during their high velocity passage through space, acquired a a sizable volume of dark and other matter....

Those Omega bodies that had little spin loosened their parts more or less omnidirectionally, not very distant. The galaxies that developed from these were later very prone to collide and merge with each other.
Most of these primordial ‘rocks’ had high spin rates. The first fragments to come off were flung a great distance. Each taking with it a share of the accumulated dark matter. (Dark matter in these cases was like the yolk of an egg.)

The first sibling pieces in our family to come off the progenitor Omega body, each weighing multiple solar masses, were M83, M64, NGC 253. At the same time many smaller units were launched. Each loss of mass to the Omega body reduced the forces of angular momentum. Until finally we have the last division that gave us our Milky Way and Andromeda. In that manner Omega had sacrificed itself to seed more than a hundred new galaxies."

" Some of those Omega bodies are still out there just waiting for something to happen (dark galaxies). A few others exploded; galaxies formed but no structured order was established.
Those that had the right amount of spin, plus other opportunities, much like ours, formed a planar pattern of galaxy formation. The large galaxies, mostly spiral, in turn followed the example of their progenitor by producing satellite galaxies in a similar manner."
If it wasn't for the slightly weird language and incredibly specific details as to which galaxies formed first, this one could almost be mistaken for science.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Omega body sounds pretty serious. I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. Ask them if there is any connection to Nibiru.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Wouldn't it be fun if press releases were all like Rhys's version?

And Geck, where have I been hiding? I had to Google "Nibiru" as I thought it was a make of car!
Having read Wikipedia - Oh yes, the Omega matter bloke will certainly have a Nibiru connection.

Rhetorical and totally pointless question: WHY/HOW do these ideas ever get dreamed up? As someone with an addiction to facts and verified sources it bewilders me. :shock:

Margarita

PS Rhys - nice piece of research. Congrats.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Haha, it should be a car.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:Wouldn't it be fun if press releases were all like Rhys's version?

And Geck, where have I been hiding? I had to Google "Nibiru" as I thought it was a make of car!
Having read Wikipedia - Oh yes, the Omega matter bloke will certainly have a Nibiru connection.

Rhetorical and totally pointless question: WHY/HOW do these ideas ever get dreamed up? As someone with an addiction to facts and verified sources it bewilders me. :shock:

Margarita

PS Rhys - nice piece of research. Congrats.
As a famous inapropraitely quoted source once stated: "There is a sucker born every minute" and people that tend to believe in conspiracies tend to make the best suckers

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks MargaritaMc !

I am currently engaged in a very polite and civil debate with someone who believes that most of the Universe is actually reflections in a giant space mirror. I'll give him another week or so to respond to my latest rebuttal (in which I demonstrate that his ideas are not compatible with the existence of triangles) before I write-up.

It's awfully tempting to email the Omega Man as well...

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:01 am

Giant space mirror?? I thought it was a giant window, that if gotten close enough to, one could see through the glare of the photons bouncing off, to the other side where everything came from.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am

Nah, yer all wrong! The universe is a giant Klein Bottle -- a non-orientable object with no boundary -- where, as you approach the "edge", you reach an indefinable point where you're no longer looking out of the universe, but you find yourself looking in. I thought that was so obvious.

Rob

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm learning so much from this thread! A Klein Bottle is amazing! Coo, Rob, you ain't 'alf clever...

Rhys - how much spare time do you have? You must have too much, if you're spending time writing to Omega Man and his mirrored ilk!!
Get back to work and find more streams of gas :lol2: (Or perhaps OM et al are a relief after referee-wrestling?)

M
(She who drives a Nibiru.... It IS a good name for a car!)
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS