UoP:Universe may face a darker future

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

UoP:Universe may face a darker future

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:13 pm

University of Portsmouth:Universe may face a darker future
New research offers a novel insight into the nature of dark matter and dark energy and what the future of our Universe might be.

Researchers in Portsmouth and Rome have found hints that dark matter, the cosmic scaffolding on which our Universe is built, is being slowly erased, swallowed up by dark energy.

The findings appear in the journal Physical Review Letters, published by the American Physical Society. In the journal cosmologists at the Universities of Portsmouth and Rome, argue that the latest astronomical data favours a dark energy that grows as it interacts with dark matter, and this appears to be slowing the growth of structure in the cosmos.
Indications of a Late-Time Interaction in the Dark Sector
Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 181301 – Published 30 October 2014
Valentina Salvatelli, Najla Said, Marco Bruni, Alessandro Melchiorri, and David Wands

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

saturno2
Commander

Re: UoP:Universe may face a darker future

Post by saturno2 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:40 am

Margarita, this note is very interesting and
important . Thank you

Ann
4725 Å

Re: UoP:Universe may face a darker future

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:45 am

I thought it was very interesting, too. But as usual we need some follow-up to confirm it, or at least not reject it.

Ann
Color Commentator