ESO: MUSE Reveals True Story Behind Galactic Crash

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

ESO: MUSE Reveals True Story Behind Galactic Crash

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:54 am

MUSE Reveals True Story Behind Galactic Crash
European Southern Observatory | MUSE | 2014 Nov 10
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
MUSE view of the ram-pressure stripped galaxy ESO 137-001
In image 1 the colours show the motions of the gas filaments — red means the
material is moving away from Earth compared to the galaxy and blue that it is
approaching. Image 2 is in close-to-natural colours, with the red patches being
glowing clouds of hydrogen gas. (Credit: ESO/M. Fumagalli)

The new MUSE instrument on ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) has provided researchers with the best view yet of a spectacular cosmic crash. The new observations reveal for the first time the motion of gas as it is ripped out of the galaxy ESO 137-001 as it ploughs at high speed into a vast galaxy cluster. The results are the key to the solution of a long-standing mystery — why star formation switches off in galaxy clusters.

A team of researchers led by Michele Fumagalli from the Extragalactic Astronomy Group and the Institute for Computational Cosmology at Durham University, were among the first to use ESO’s Multi Unit Spectroscopic Explorer (MUSE) instrument on the VLT. Observing ESO 137-001 — a spiral galaxy 200 million light-years away in the southern constellation of Triangulum Australe (The Southern Triangle) — they were able to get the best view so far of exactly what is happening to the galaxy as it hurtles into the Norma Cluster.

MUSE gives astronomers not just a picture, but provides a spectrum — or a band of colours — for each pixel in the frame. With this instrument researchers collect about 90 000 spectra every time they look at an object, and thereby record a staggeringly detailed map of the motions and other properties of the observed objects.

ESO 137-001 is being robbed of its raw materials by a process called ram-pressure stripping, which happens when an object moves at high speed through a liquid or gas. This is similar to how air blows a dog’s hair back when it sticks its head out of the window of a moving car. In this case the gas is part of the vast cloud of very thin hot gas that is enveloping the galaxy cluster into which ESO 137-001 is falling at several million kilometres per hour. ...

MUSE sneaks a peek at extreme ram-pressure stripping events.
I. A kinematic study of the archetypal galaxy ESO137-001
- Michele Fumagalli et al
  • arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1407.7527 > 28 Jul 2014 (v1), 06 Oct 2014 (v2)

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=33040
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=33461
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: ESO: MUSE Reveals True Story Behind Galactic Crash

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:02 pm

... provides a spectrum ... for each pixel in the frame...
With this instrument researchers collect about 90 000 spectra every time they look at an object. :shock:
That actually caused my jaw physically to drop when I read that this morning.
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS