Keck: ‘Eye of Sauron’ Provides New Way of Measuring Distance

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Keck: ‘Eye of Sauron’ Provides New Way of Measuring Distance

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 pm

‘Eye of Sauron’ Provides New Way of Measuring Distances to Galaxies
W.M. Keck Observatory | 2014 Nov 26
[img3="CXC: NGC 4151: An Active Black Hole in the "Eye of Sauron"
Credit: X-ray: NASA/CXC/CfA/J.Wang et al.; Optical: Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes, La Palma/Jacobus Kapteyn Telescope, Radio: NSF/NRAO/VLA"]http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2011/n4151/n4151.jpg[/img3]
A team of scientists, led by Dr. Sebastian Hoenig from the University of Southampton, has accurately measured the distance to the nearby NGC4151 galaxy, using the W. M. Keck Observatory Interferometer. The team employed a new technique they developed, which allows them to measure precise distances to galaxies tens of millions of light years away. The research was published today in the journal Nature.

The new technique is similar to that used by land surveyors on earth, who measure both the physical and angular – or ‘apparent’ – size of a distant object, to calculate its distance from Earth.

Previous reported distances to NGC 4151, which contains a supermassive black hole, ranged from 4- to 29-megaparsecs, but using this new, more accurate method, the researchers calculated the distance to the supermassive black hole as 19 megaparsecs.

The galaxy NGC415 is dubbed the ‘Eye of Sauron’ by astronomers for the similarity to its namesake in the film trilogy The Lord of the Rings. As in the famous saga, a ring plays a crucial role in this new measurement. All big galaxies in the universe host a supermassive black hole in their center and in about 10 percent of all galaxies, these supermassive black holes are growing by swallowing huge amounts of gas and dust from their surrounding environments. In this process, the material heats up and becomes very bright — becoming the most energetic sources of emission in the universe known as active galactic nuclei (AGN). ...

Using supermassive black holes to measure cosmic distances
Niels Bohr Institute | University of Copenhagen | 2014 Nov 26

'Eye of Sauron' Provides New Way to Measure Galaxy Distances
University of Southampton, UK | 2014 Nov 27

A dust-parallax distance of 19 megaparsecs to the supermassive black hole in NGC 4151 - Sebastian F. Hönig et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Keck: ‘Eye of Sauron’ Provides New Way of Measuring Dist

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:34 pm

This is the direct link to the Southampton University news release
http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.as ... ureCode=en
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks, Margarita. When I posted this last night, the Southampton link wasn't up, so I posted the link to their news feed. It has now been replaced with the page link (not the AlphaGalileo one).
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:30 pm

bystander wrote:Thanks, Margarita. When I posted this last night, the Southampton link wasn't up, so I posted the link to their news feed. It has now been replaced with the page link (not the AlphaGalileo one).
Do delete my post, bystander! Not serving a useful function now. :lol2:
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS