GSFC: An Unprecedented Look into Superstar Eta Carinae

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

GSFC: An Unprecedented Look into Superstar Eta Carinae

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:06 pm

NASA Observatories Take an Unprecedented Look into Superstar Eta Carinae
NASA | GSFC | 2015 Jan 07
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Explore Eta Carinae from the inside-out with the help of supercomputer
simulations and data from NASA satellites and ground-based observatories.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio

Eta Carinae, the most luminous and massive stellar system within 10,000 light-years of Earth, is known for its surprising behavior, erupting twice in the 19th century for reasons scientists still don't understand. A long-term study led by astronomers at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, used NASA satellites, ground-based telescopes and theoretical modeling to produce the most comprehensive picture of Eta Carinae to date. New findings include Hubble Space Telescope images that show decade-old shells of ionized gas racing away from the largest star at a million miles an hour, and new 3-D models that reveal never-before-seen features of the stars' interactions.

"We are coming to understand the present state and complex environment of this remarkable object, but we have a long way to go to explain Eta Carinae's past eruptions or to predict its future behavior," said Goddard astrophysicist Ted Gull, who coordinates a research group that has monitored the star for more than a decade.

Located about 7,500 light-years away in the southern constellation of Carina, Eta Carinae comprises two massive stars whose eccentric orbits bring them unusually close every 5.5 years. Both produce powerful gaseous outflows called stellar winds, which enshroud the stars and stymy efforts to directly measure their properties. Astronomers have established that the brighter, cooler primary star has about 90 times the mass of the sun and outshines it by 5 million times. While the properties of its smaller, hotter companion are more contested, Gull and his colleagues think the star has about 30 solar masses and emits a million times the sun's light. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: GSFC: An Unprecedented Look into Superstar Eta Carinae

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:18 pm

There is an article in January 16 S&T on Eta Carinae which I found helpful
Eta Carinae’s Throbbing X-ray Pulse
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS