Huygens: NASA and ESA Celebrate 10 Years Since Titan Landing

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Huygens: NASA and ESA Celebrate 10 Years Since Titan Landing

Post by bystander » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:38 pm

NASA and ESA Celebrate 10 Years Since Titan Landing
NASA Solar System Exploration | JPL-Caltech | Cassini | Huygens | 2015 Jan 14
Ten years ago, an explorer from Earth parachuted into the haze of an alien moon toward an uncertain fate. After a gentle descent lasting more than two hours, it landed with a thud on a frigid floodplain, surrounded by icy cobblestones. With this feat, the Huygens probe accomplished humanity's first landing on a moon in the outer solar system. Huygens was safely on Titan, the largest moon of Saturn.

The hardy probe not only survived the descent and landing, but continued to transmit data for more than an hour on the frigid surface of Titan, until its batteries were drained.

Since that historic moment, scientists from around the world have pored over volumes of data about Titan, sent to Earth by Huygens -- a project of the European Space Agency -- and its mothership, NASA's Cassini spacecraft. In the past 10 years, data from the dynamic spacecraft duo have revealed many details of a surprisingly Earth-like world.

In addition to the technical wizardry needed to pull off this tour de force, international partnerships were critical to successfully delivering the two spacecraft to Saturn and Titan. ...

Huygens: the top 10 discoveries at Titan
ESA | Science & Technology | Cassini-Huygens | 2014 Jan 14
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: Huygens: NASA and ESA Celebrate 10 Years Since Titan Lan

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Emily Lakdawalla has written a blog post about her experience at ESOC during the Huygens landing on Titan in her blog at The Planetary Society.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS