No Big Bang?

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Doum
A personalized rank.

No Big Bang?

Post by Doum » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 pm

The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantu ... tml#ajTabs

http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.3093v3

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: No Big Bang?

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Doum wrote:
The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantu ... tml#ajTabs

http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.3093v3
I'm not going to hold my breath.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 pm

I'll quote Sean Carroll for this:
Sean Carroll wrote:Give zero credence to a story about a speculative physics paper that only quotes the authors. It's a press release.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 am

For interest, this is the link to the published paper.
Physics Letters B
4 February 2015, Vol.741:276–279, doi: 10.1016/j.physletb.2014.12.057
Cosmology from quantum potential
Ahmed Farag Ali Saurya Das

Abstract
It was shown recently that replacing classical geodesics with quantal (Bohmian) trajectories gives rise to a quantum corrected Raychaudhuri equation (QRE). In this article we derive the second order Friedmann equations from the QRE, and show that this also contains a couple of quantum correction terms, the first of which can be interpreted as cosmological constant (and gives a correct estimate of its observed value), while the second as a radiation term in the early universe, which gets rid of the big-bang singularity and predicts an infinite age of our universe.
The publisher, Physics Letters B is part of The Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics .

Information about the consortium can be found in this article
Nature
Open-access deal for particle physics. Consortium brokers agreement with 12 journals.
The entire field of particle physics is set to switch to open-access publishing, a milestone in the push to make research results freely available to readers.

Particle physics is already a paragon of openness, with most papers posted on the preprint server arXiv. But peer-reviewed versions are still published in subscription journals, and publishers and research consortia at facilities such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have previously had to strike piecemeal deals to free up a few hundred articles.

After six years of negotiation, the Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics (SCOAP3) is now close to ensuring that nearly all particle-physics articles — about 7,000 publications last year — are made immediately free on journal websites. Upfront payments from libraries will fund the access.

...The consortium will pay the contracts from an annual budget of €10 million, which is funded not by authors or research grants, but by pledges from more than a thousand libraries, funding agencies and research consortia across the world. In effect, existing journal subscription fees are being repurposed to provide the open-access funds.
M
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Post by Markus Schwarz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Like Chris, I am not terribly excited about this. There are dozens of papers per week that deal with quantum gravity and cosmology, with all kinds of results. I don't mind that people spend their time working on this. But putting out press releases is way to premature. They tend to mislead the layman into thinking that our understanding of gravity/quantum mechanics/cosmology has changed, which it has not.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Especially with the notion that Big Bang could just poof and go away soon. There are a lot of BB skeptics out there in the world of lay people. They already don't realize how large the body of evidence pointing to the BB is. They have this idea that cosmologists are clueless and just made the whole thing up to sound smart. Due to the nature of science it is possible that it may one day be replaced with something else but it won't go out easily.

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 pm

So the general consensus is that the claims of this paper are , Inflated?
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 pm

FloridaMike wrote:So the general consensus is that the claims of this paper are , Inflated?
I wouldn't say that, necessary. More like quite speculative, and which would require an awful lot of evidence before many people would invest a lot of time looking closer.

The thing is, you can generate many internally consistent models. That just means the math works. It doesn't mean that the axioms upon which the math rests are physically realistic. You can describe the Solar System perfectly with a mathematical model that is geocentric with epicycles- predict the position of planets, eclipses, everything. But it breaks down physically, despite being an accurate model of outward behavior.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:06 am

geckzilla wrote:Especially with the notion that Big Bang could just poof and go away soon. There are a lot of BB skeptics out there in the world of lay people. They already don't realize how large the body of evidence pointing to the BB is. They have this idea that cosmologists are clueless and just made the whole thing up to sound smart. Due to the nature of science it is possible that it may one day be replaced with something else but it won't go out easily.
Well put, geck.

I think that the Big Bang is unpopular among many people, in many cases because they want to believe in Genesis rather than in any sort of science that contradicts their belief.

But more broadly speaking, there are a lot of ideas that many people would want to be true. And because many people would want them to be true, any claims on the parts of scientists that they may be true are likely to receive a lot of attention. Consider the following hypotheses and ask yourself which of them are likely to receive the most attention (let's assume that all of them were put forth by scientists):

1) Wormholes can exist/ Wormholes can't exist.

2) It is possible to travel through a wormhole/ It isn't possible to travel through a wormhole, because the wormhole would collapse if you entered it.

3) It would be possible to travel through a wormhole and emerge alive at a totally different location in the universe/ It would be possible to travel through a wormhole in the sense that it wouldn't collapse, but you would probably still be killed by the experience.

4) If you didn't like the new location where you arrived after journeying through the wormhole, you could dive back into the wormhole and come back to where you started from/ It might be possible to survive the journey through a wormhole and arrive at a totally different location in the universe, but you could never go back again.

5) NASA should design strategies to use wormholes to explore the universe/ Even if it is indeed possible to use wormholes to explore the universe, you can't use the wormhole unless you travel to it first, and it is likely to be thousands of light-years away. And since we haven't even been able to send people to Mars, it will be eons until we can send people to a wormhole.

As you can see, in each "hypothesis pair" one of the hypotheses would generate very much attention and great enthusiasm, whereas the other hypothesis would receive scant or no attention. Because of all the attention, the "popular" hypotheses would seem to be "true".

I think that the idea of wormholes that you could travel through, Star Trek style, would generate a lot more enthusiasm than the suggestion that there was no Big Bang. But in each case, the "popular" idea is likely to look more credible than it really is. Of course it is possible that scientists may eventually indeed come to the conclusion and consensus that there was no Big Bang, and for all I know it might be possible to travel through a wormhole, although I'm highly skeptical. But my point is that many people may get the impression that these popular ideas have been proven by a lot of evidence when they certainly have not.

I think we are dealing with the forces of demand and supply here. A lot of people demand wormholes, life on Mars, the colonization and terraforming of Mars, UFOs, crop circles, the bouncing universe and/or the abolition of the Big Bang, and there are many publications and various forms of mass media that would be happy to provide the public with proof of these popular ideas.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:28 am

Ann wrote:I think that the Big Bang is unpopular among many people, in many cases because they want to believe in Genesis rather than in any sort of science that contradicts their belief.
It is not limited to religious people. It's just one of those things that is hard to make sense of. Or perhaps you might say it is easy to be skeptical of. It is an extraordinary claim. But it also has extraordinary evidence backing it.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:05 am

Ann wrote:I think that the Big Bang is unpopular among many people, in many cases because they want to believe in Genesis rather than in any sort of science that contradicts their belief.
You're right about the unpopularity of BB cosmology among some religious people, but by no means all. Many, including myself, like the Big Bang, or at least are not opposed to it, because it fits with the biblical notion that the universe had a beginning. As to the theory being discussed in this thread, I would be opposed to it on both scientific and religious grounds. The BB as a concept is a natural understanding that follows from the discovery of universal expansion. Back-track the expansion far enough back and there would have to be a starting point. The Big Bang looks to be far more logical than ideas that the universe had no beginning.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
You're right about the unpopularity of BB cosmology among some religious people, but by no means all. Many, including myself, like the Big Bang, or at least are not opposed to it, because it fits with the biblical notion that the universe had a beginning. As to the theory being discussed in this thread, I would be opposed to it on both scientific and religious grounds. The BB as a concept is a natural understanding that follows from the discovery of universal expansion. Back-track the expansion far enough back and there would have to be a starting point. The Big Bang looks to be far more logical than ideas that the universe had no beginning.

Bruce
Yes, just like you and Geck have said, both religious and nonreligious people oppose the Big Bang, just like other religious and nonreligious people support it.

Fred Hoyle, the British astronomer who created the "Big Bang-less" Steady State theory, was an atheist. He may just possibly have been uncomfortable with the Genesis-like nature of the Big Bang.

Ann
Color Commentator

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Post by Markus Schwarz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:52 am

Ann wrote:Consider the following hypotheses and ask yourself which of them are likely to receive the most attention (let's assume that all of them were put forth by scientists):

1) Wormholes can exist/ Wormholes can't exist.

2) It is possible to travel through a wormhole/ It isn't possible to travel through a wormhole, because the wormhole would collapse if you entered it.

3) It would be possible to travel through a wormhole and emerge alive at a totally different location in the universe/ It would be possible to travel through a wormhole in the sense that it wouldn't collapse, but you would probably still be killed by the experience.

4) If you didn't like the new location where you arrived after journeying through the wormhole, you could dive back into the wormhole and come back to where you started from/ It might be possible to survive the journey through a wormhole and arrive at a totally different location in the universe, but you could never go back again.
[...]
[F]or all I know it might be possible to travel through a wormhole, although I'm highly skeptical. But my point is that many people may get the impression that these popular ideas have been proven by a lot of evidence when they certainly have not.
For the record, points 1 to 4 can and have been studied theoretically in the frame work of general relativity. As with warp drives, the answer is that yes, traversable wormholes (meaning a human can pass through it unharmed) are allowed. However, these wormhole solutions require exotic matter, one with a negative energy density, and currently no such substance is known (a possible source may be the Casimir effect).

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm

To me it's not a question of support or oppose the Big Bang theory. It's the possibility of another theory. When i saw that article i was surprise. Because to me for what i know or understand (Or think i understand :ssmile: ) the Big Bang seem the most plausible theory. So seeing that new theory was a shock and surprise. But as Chris said, it need to have more evidence.
Time will tell if its a good one or not. I have no opinion on it for now but im still curious about it.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Doum wrote:To me it's not a question of support or oppose the Big Bang theory. It's the possibility of another theory. When i saw that article i was surprise. Because to me for what i know or understand (Or think i understand :ssmile: ) the Big Bang seem the most plausible theory. So seeing that new theory was a shock and surprise. But as Chris said, it need to have more evidence.
Time will tell if its a good one or not. I have no opinion on it for now but im still curious about it.
As Markus pointed out, papers positing alternate cosmological theories come out all the time. They come, they go. They never stick, decade after decade. Does that mean that one won't ultimately turn out to become the dominant theory? No. But given the strengths of the current theories with some kind of Big Bang event at their core, the likelihood is small.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:41 pm

This article is very interesting.
I think there was a Big Bang.
But not there was a singularity
in a point of infinite density.
Before the Big Bang, it exist
lots of matter and therefore
space and time.
Well. But it demonstrates a new
hypothesis it is very difficult for now.
Almost the entire scientific community
is agree with the singularity in the
Big Bang.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Space: Big Bang Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Beginning

Post by bystander » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:32 am

Big Bang, Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Beginning
Live Science | via Space.com | 2015 Feb 27
[attachment=0]universe-timeline[1].jpg[/attachment]
If a new theory turns out to be true, the universe may not have started with a bang.

In the new formulation, the universe was never a singularity, or an infinitely small and infinitely dense point of matter. In fact, the universe may have no beginning at all.

"Our theory suggests that the age of the universe could be infinite," said study co-author Saurya Das, a theoretical physicist at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada.

The new concept could also explain what dark matter — the mysterious, invisible substance that makes up most of the universe — is actually made of, Das added. ...

Cosmology from quantum potential - Ahmed Farag Ali, Saurya Das Dark matter and dark energy from Bose-Einstein condensate - Saurya Das, Rajat K. Bhaduri
Attachments
This graphic shows a timeline of the universe based on the <br />Big Bang theory and inflation models. Credit: NASA/WMAP
This graphic shows a timeline of the universe based on the
Big Bang theory and inflation models. Credit: NASA/WMAP
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Re: Space: Big Bang Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Begin

Post by Markus Schwarz » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:01 pm

See discussion here.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Space: Big Bang Deflated? Universe May Have Had No Begin

Post by bystander » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Oops :oops: I thought it was familiar, but I couldn't find it.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:25 am

Indeed, I think that the universe did not begin from
a point of infinity density.
There is no absolute principle of matter.

kellogg
Ensign

Post by kellogg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 pm

A problem I see with this theory is that the universe is demonstrably aging.

We can see the progression of the formation of elements in the stars of distant galaxies in the concentration of iron atoms.
If the universe is infinitely old, it seems to me there should be a lot more iron than there is.

Scott Kellogg

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Post by Markus Schwarz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 pm

kellogg wrote:A problem I see with this theory is that the universe is demonstrably aging.

We can see the progression of the formation of elements in the stars of distant galaxies in the concentration of iron atoms.
If the universe is infinitely old, it seems to me there should be a lot more iron than there is.

Scott Kellogg
To clarify, the authors don't say that the universe isn't expanding and that it didn't have a phase were you could have put the entire universe in a nutshell. They claim in their theory that, roughly, the "point were the size of the universe was zero is infinitely far away in the past". This is different from the big bang solution of general relativity, where this point is 13.8 billion years in the past. Still, even in their theory, the age of galaxies and stars would not differ much from this number. So, no problem with iron etc. Phrased differently, the age of the universe may be infinite in their theory, but the age of stars is not affected.