Cambridge: Gaia Satellite Spots One-in-a-Billion Star

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Cambridge: Gaia Satellite Spots One-in-a-Billion Star

Post by bystander » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:01 am

Gaia Satellite and Amateur Astronomers Spot One-in-a-Billion Star
University of Cambridge, UK | ESA | Gaia | 2015 July 17
[c][attachment=0]Gaia14aae.jpg[/attachment][/c][hr][/hr]
The Gaia satellite has discovered a unique binary system where one star is ‘eating’ the other, but neither star has any hydrogen, the most common element in the Universe. The system could be an important tool for understanding how binary stars might explode at the end of their lives.

An international team of researchers, with the assistance of amateur astronomers, have discovered a unique binary star system: the first known such system where one star completely eclipses the other. It is a type of two-star system known as a Cataclysmic Variable, where one super dense white dwarf star is stealing gas from its companion star, effectively ‘cannibalising’ it.

The system could also be an important laboratory for studying ultra-bright supernova explosions, which are a vital tool for measuring the expansion of the Universe. Details of the new research will be published in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

The system, named Gaia14aae, is located about 730 light years away in the Draco constellation. It was discovered by the European Space Agency’s Gaia satellite in August 2014 when it suddenly became five times brighter over the course of a single day. ...

Total eclipse of the heart: The AM CVn Gaia14aae / ASSASN-14cn - H. C. Campbell et al
Attachments
Artist’s impression of Gaia14aae (Credit: Marisa Grove/Institute of Astronomy)
Artist’s impression of Gaia14aae (Credit: Marisa Grove/Institute of Astronomy)
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Cambridge: Gaia Satellite Spots One-in-a-Billion Star

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:33 am

IF it goes KA-BOOM, i hope 730 light years away is far enough for the effects to dissipate before they get here.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Cambridge: Gaia Satellite Spots One-in-a-Billion Star

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:55 am

Beyond wrote:IF it goes KA-BOOM, i hope 730 light years away is far enough for the effects to dissipate before they get here.
I thought so, too. And I think I read somewhere that the type Ia white dwarf supernovas may require a greater "safety distance" than the type II core collapse ones.

But in any case, this is so fascinating! I'm looking forward to many more discoveries by Gaia.

Ann
Color Commentator