Carnegie: Paper Unravels 100-Year-Old Mystery

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Carnegie: Paper Unravels 100-Year-Old Mystery

Post by bystander » Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Allen Sandage's Last Paper Unravels 100-Year-Old Mystery
Carnegie Institution for Science | 2016 May 17
[img3="Color-magnitude diagrams for all bright stars within 1,000 light-years of the Sun as determined by Mt. Wilson astronomers in 1935. (Left) Diagram without the subgiants, in which it is difficult to connect the two clear populations. (Right) Diagram with the subgiants discovered by Walter Adams et al. The subgiants form a connective tissue between the sequences that inspired Allan Sandage and his colleagues to advance the theory of stellar evolution by exploring the physical properties of these stars relative to the other sequences."]https://carnegiescience.edu/sites/carne ... 99x512.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
Carnegie’s Allan Sandage, who died in 2010, was a tremendously influential figure in the field of astronomy. His final paper, published posthumously, focuses on unraveling a surprising historical mystery related to one of his own seminal discoveries.

While preparing a centennial history of the Carnegie Observatories in the early 2000s, Sandage came across an unpublished 1944 exchange between two prominent astronomers that piqued his interest. The conversation seemed to predate by a decade Sandage’s own work on stellar evolution in the mid-1950s. ...

it turns out that physicist and astronomer George Gamow and astronomer Walter Adams exchanged a letter that included a hand-drawn figure from Gamow that predated Sandage’s illustration of stellar evolution by 10 years.

This letter was influenced by a more-than-20-years-in-the-making catalog of more than 4,000 stellar classifications and distances produced at then-Carnegie’s Mount Wilson Observatory in 1935. (This catalog remained the largest in existence until the 1990s.) It turns out that the catalog identified 90 subgiants, although the classification was effectively ignored by scholarly circles, due to criticisms that the catalog was biased and the fear that any new findings it introduced were likely fictitious.

Sandage, Beaton, and Majewski pored through the records, comparing all 90 of the subgiant measurements from the 30s to modern measurements and finding them very accurate and precise. ...

Comparison of Hipparcos Trigonometric and Mount Wilson Spectroscopic Parallaxes for 90
Subgiants that Defined the Class in 1935
- Allan Sandage, Rachael L. Beaton, Steven R. Majewski
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Carnegie: Paper Unravels 100-Year-Old Mystery

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 pm

My favorite part of this story is the hand drawn graph. I definitely take the undo button for granted these days.
hand_drawn_graph.jpg
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 23, 2016 10:54 pm

geckzilla wrote:My favorite part of this story is the hand drawn graph. I definitely take the undo button for granted these days.
hand_drawn_graph.jpg
There is a joke or something here that I don't get. My tin-eared Swedish filtering of English, no doubt.
EDIT: My dirty mind made me picture a pair of old-fashioned jeans, with buttons instead of zippers, with at least one button undone. Googling "undo button" made the concept a lot clearer to me.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Yeah. The point is that putting a graph together like that by hand is a bit more challenging in certain ways than doing it with a computer. I had all sorts of tools for doing illustration by hand in college and I can't say I miss them. French curves, tracing paper, rubber cement, fixativ (basically hair spray), graphite all over the place even with the fixativ...
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.