AAO: Astronomers Shed Light on Different Galaxy Types

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

AAO: Astronomers Shed Light on Different Galaxy Types

Post by bystander » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Astronomers Shed Light on Different Galaxy Types
Australian Astronomical Observatory | 2016 Sep 13
In research published today, Australian scientists have taken a critical step towards understanding why different types of galaxies exist throughout the Universe.

The research, made possible by cutting-edge AAO instrumentation, means that astronomers can now classify galaxies according to their physical properties rather than human interpretation of a galaxy’s appearance.

For the past 200 years, telescopes have been capable of observing galaxies beyond our own galaxy, the Milky Way.

Only a few were visible to begin with but as telescopes became more powerful, more galaxies were discovered, making it crucial for astronomers to come up with a way to consistently group different types of galaxies together.

In 1926, the famous American astronomer Edwin Hubble refined a system that classified galaxies into categories of spiral, elliptical, lenticular or irregular shape. This system, known as the Hubble sequence, is the most common way of classifying galaxies to this day.

Despite its success, the criteria on which the Hubble scheme is based are subjective, and only indirectly related to the physical properties of galaxies. This has significantly hampered attempts to identify the evolutionary pathways followed by different types of galaxies as they slowly change over billions of years. ...

The SAMI Galaxy Survey: The Link Between Angular Momentum and Optical Morphology - L. Cortese et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

AAO: Scientists Unveil New 3D View of Galaxies

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Scientists Unveil New 3D View of Galaxies
Australian Astronomical Observatory | 2017 Jul 27
SAMI_Mass_SF_diagram[1].png
For many years astronomers have struggled to get good-quality 3D data of galaxies. Although this technique is very powerful as it allows researchers to “dissect” objects, this was a slow process as each galaxy had to be observed independently.

Novel Australian designed and built instrumentation called the “Sydney-AAO Multi-object Integral-field” (SAMI) unit at the 3.9m Anglo-Australian Telescope (AAT) now allows astronomers to simultaneously view many galaxies at the same time. ...

The SAMI team has now released to the astronomical community the hiqh-quality 3D data of 772 galaxies (the “SAMI Data Release 1”, DR1). This is around 20% of the full galaxy sample (around 3600 galaxies) that will be obtained with the SAMI instrument at the AAT. ...

The SAMI Galaxy Survey: Data Release One with Emission-line Physics Value-Added Products - Andrew W. Green et al
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

CAASTRO: Astronomers Spun Up by Galaxy-Shape Finding

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Astronomers Spun Up by Galaxy-Shape Finding
ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics (CAASTRO) | 2017 Sep 11

For the first time astronomers have measured how a galaxy’s spin affects its shape.

It sounds simple, but measuring a galaxy’s true 3D shape is a tricky problem that astronomers first tried to solve 90 years ago.

“This is the first time we’ve been able to reliably measure how a galaxy’s shape depends on any of its other properties – in this case, its rotation speed,” ...

Galaxies can be shaped like a pancake, a sea urchin or a football, or anything in between.

Faster-spinning galaxies are flatter than their slower-spinning siblings, the team found.

“And among spiral galaxies, which have disks of stars, the faster-spinning ones have more circular disks,” ...

The SAMI Galaxy Survey: The Intrinsic Shape of Kinematically Selected Galaxies - C. Foster et al
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: AAO: Astronomers Shed Light on Different Galaxy Types

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm

https://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/3 ... pe-finding

Background article in The Conversation by Caroline Foster and Richard McDermid
3D view helps us to understand how galaxies formed and evolved
September 11, 2017
https://theconversation.com/3d-view-hel ... lved-81318
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 pm

MargaritaMc wrote: Background article in The Conversation by Caroline Foster and Richard McDermid
September 11, 2017
Thanks for posting this, Margarita! Very interesting!

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Ann wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote: Background article in The Conversation by Caroline Foster and Richard McDermid
September 11, 2017
Thanks for posting this, Margarita! Very interesting!

Ann
My pleasure!
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS