UPRA: Most Planets are Colder Than Thought

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

UPRA: Most Planets are Colder Than Thought

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Most Planets are Colder Than Thought
Planetary Habitability Laboratory | University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo | 2017 Feb 23

There Might be More Planets in the Habitable Zone
[img3="Rocky planets in elliptical orbit experience hot and cold periods sometimes crossing the habitable zone. The new study provides a way to quantify whether these planets are able to support surface liquid water. Credit: PHL @ UPR Arecibo."]http://www.hpcf.upr.edu/~abel/phl/coolo ... lorbit.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
A common assumption in the search for habitable abodes beyond Earth is that the average temperature of planets always increases the more elliptical their orbit is. Now, scientists from the Planetary Habitability Laboratory (PHL) and the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico have shown that planets in elliptical orbits are generally colder than previously believed.

Planets can move around their parent star in orbits that are not perfectly circular. These elliptical orbits put planets sometimes significantly closer or farther from their star, thus contributing to extreme temperature changes. This is not the case of Earth, and probably for the exoplanets orbiting the stars Proxima Centauri or TRAPPIST-1, but true for many known planets around other stars.

In the past, scientists assumed the average equilibrium temperature of a planet would increase with eccentricity because the average energy received from its star, the stellar flux, also increases with eccentricity. A new study provides a new model that shows this is not always the case. ...

The Equilibrium Temperature of Planets in Elliptical Orbits - Abel Méndez, Edgard G. Rivera-Valentín
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: UPRA: Most Planets are Colder Than Thought

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:45 pm

This seems logical, since a planet in a highly elliptical, HZ crossing orbit would quickly zip by its star while spending most of its time out near apastron. Each year would include a very short searing summer and a very long, extremely cold winter.

Hey, fried ice cream worlds, anyone?

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:57 pm

However, the title "Most Planets are Colder Than Thought" is just wrong, since most planets aren't in highly elliptical orbits.
Most misleading. :no:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am

Because I spent my childhood in the sixties near the Arctic Circle, I can at least begin to imagine, with a shudder, what the long winters of a planet in an elliptical orbit of its star would entail. :brr:

Ann
Color Commentator