USNO: New, Highly Accurate Positions & Motions Available for Millions of Stars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

USNO: New, Highly Accurate Positions & Motions Available for Millions of Stars

Post by bystander » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:24 am

New, Highly Accurate Positions & Motions Available for Millions of Stars
U.S. Naval Observatory | 2017 Mar 27

The United States Naval Observatory (USNO) has released a new catalog of over 107 million stars, the 5th USNO CCD Astrograph Catalog (UCAC5). This catalog of about 5.5 gigabytes of binary data is currently available from the German Astrophysical Virtual Observatory (GAVO) Data Center. It will soon be available from the Astronomical Data Center (CDS) in Strasbourg, France and its mirror sites. In addition to very precise positions, this catalog contains the most accurate “proper motions” ever measured for such a large number of stars. A paper by USNO scientists Norbert Zacharias, Charlie Finch, and Julien Frouard describing this research has been published in The Astronomical Journal.

To human eyes, the stars in the night sky seem to be “fixed,” their relative positions unchanging over the course of an average lifetime. However, when examined more closely with high magnification, all stars are indeed moving with respect to each other. Most of this apparent motion is caused by the general rotation of our Milky Way Galaxy, which most stars follow. In addition, every star has some individual component of motion on top of the general flow. This includes our Sun, which takes our solar system and Earth along for the ride. As a result, as seen from Earth, most stars in our area of the Milky Way move a tiny distance across the sky each year. These “proper motions” typically amount to about half a degree (the apparent diameter of the Moon) across the sky in about 10,000 to 100,000 years.

Knowing the proper motions of stars is important to predict exactly where in the sky the stars will be at any given instant of time, something the U.S. Navy and Department of Defense in general care about when using stars as points in a reference frame. Knowledge of stellar proper motions are also vital to learning about possible membership of stars in clusters and to understand the dynamics, history, and origin of the Milky Way’s components including “dark matter,” a currently hot topic in astrophysics. ...

UCAC5: New Proper Motions Using Gaia DR1 - Norbert Zacharias, Charlie Finch, Julien Frouard
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=36371
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: USNO: New, Highly Accurate Positions & Motions Available for Millions of Stars

Post by neufer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 am

----------------------------------------------------
  • Love's Labour's Lost Act I, scene I
BIRON: Small have continual plodders ever won
  • Save base authority from others' books
    These earthly godfathers of heaven's lights
    That give a name to every fixed star
    Have no more profit of their shining nights
    Than those that walk and wot not what they are.
    Too much to know is to know nought but fame;
    And every godfather can give a name.
----------------------------------------------------
  • Julius Caesar Act III, scene I
CAESAR: I could be well moved, if I were as you:
  • If I could pray to move, prayers would move me:
    But I am constant as the northern star,
    Of whose true-fix'd and resting quality
    There is no fellow in the firmament.
    The skies are painted with unnumber'd sparks,
    They are all fire and every one doth shine,
    But there's but one in all doth hold his place: