AIP: Why Space Dust Emits Radio Waves Upon Crashing Into a Spacecraft

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

AIP: Why Space Dust Emits Radio Waves Upon Crashing Into a Spacecraft

Post by bystander » Wed May 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Why Space Dust Emits Radio Waves Upon Crashing Into a Spacecraft
American Institute of Physics | 2017 May 02
[img3="The high-velocity impact of a piece of dust or orbital debris generates plasma and an associated Radio Frequency emission. (Credit: Fletcher/Close)"]https://publishing.aip.org/sites/defaul ... ed-WEB.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
When spacecraft and satellites travel through space they encounter tiny, fast moving particles of space dust and debris. If the particle travels fast enough, its impact appears to create electromagnetic radiation (in the form of radio waves) that can damage or even disable the craft’s electronic systems.

A new study published this week in the journal Physics of Plasmas, from AIP Publishing, uses computer simulations to show that the cloud of plasma generated from the particle’s impact is responsible for creating the damaging electromagnetic pulse. They show that as the plasma expands into the surrounding vacuum, the ions and electrons travel at different speeds and separate in a way that creates radio frequency emissions. ...

The study is a step towards verifying the theory of senior author Sigrid Close, associate professor of aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. In 2010, Close and colleagues published the initial hypothesis that hypervelocity impact plasmas are responsible for a few satellite failures. ...

Particle-in-Cell Simulations of an RF Emission Mechanism
Associated with Hypervelocity Impact Plasmas
- Alex Fletcher & Sigrid Close
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: AIP: Why Space Dust Emits Radio Waves Upon Crashing Into a Spacecraft

Post by neufer » Wed May 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Art Neuendorffer

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 am

neufer wrote:

Yes, that still, small voice, sometimes takes a lot of hearing to know from whence it is.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue May 09, 2017 11:37 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

This video represents data collected by the Radio and Plasma Wave Science instrument on NASA's Cassini spacecraft, as it crossed the plane of Saturn's rings on Dec. 18, 2016. The instrument is able to record ring particles striking the spacecraft in its data. During this ring crossing, Cassini went through the faint, dusty ring that lies in the orbit shared by Saturnian moons Janus and Epimetheus. In this data there is a clearly audible and visible rise, peak, and fall in the number of pops and cracks that represent ring particles striking the spacecraft. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Iowa

This video represents data collected by the Radio and Plasma Wave Science instrument on NASA's Cassini spacecraft, as it crossed through the gap between Saturn and its rings on April 26, 2017, during the first dive of the mission's Grand Finale. The instrument is able to record ring particles striking the spacecraft in its data. In the data from this dive, there is virtually no detectable peak in pops and cracks that represent ring particles striking the spacecraft. The lack of discernible pops and cracks indicates the region is largely free of small particles. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Iowa
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue May 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor