ALMA Finds Ingredient of Life Around Infant Sun-like Stars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 pm

ALMA | ESO | NRAO | NAOJ | 2017 Jun 08
[img3="ALMA detects methyl isocyanate around young Sun-like stars
Credit: ESO/Digitized Sky Survey 2/L. Calçada
"]https://cdn.eso.org/images/screen/eso1718a.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
ALMA has observed stars like the Sun at a very early stage in their formation and found traces of methyl isocyanate — a chemical building block of life. This is the first ever detection of this prebiotic molecule towards solar-type protostars, the sort from which our Solar System evolved. The discovery could help astronomers understand how life arose on Earth.

Two teams of astronomers have harnessed the power of the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) in Chile to detect the prebiotic complex organic molecule methyl isocyanate in the multiple star system IRAS 16293-2422. One team was co-led by Rafael Martín-Doménech at the Centro de Astrobiología in Madrid, Spain, and Víctor M. Rivilla, at the INAF-Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri in Florence, Italy; and the other by Niels Ligterink at the Leiden Observatory in the Netherlands and Audrey Coutens at University College London, United Kingdom. ...

ALMA’s capabilities allowed both teams to observe the molecule at several different and characteristic wavelengths across the radio spectrum. They found the unique chemical fingerprints located in the warm, dense inner regions of the cocoon of dust and gas surrounding young stars in their earliest stages of evolution. Each team identified and isolated the signatures of the complex organic molecule methyl isocyanate. They then followed this up with computer chemical modelling and laboratory experiments to refine our understanding of the molecule’s origin. ...

One of Life’s Building Blocks Found around Infant Sun-like Stars
ALMA | ESO | NRAO | NAOJ | 2017 Jun 08

The ALMA-PILS survey: Detection of CH3NCO toward the low-mass protostar
IRAS 16293-2422 and laboratory constraints on its formation
- N. F. W. Ligterink et al Detection of methyl isocyanate (CH3NCO) in a solar-type protostar - R. Martín-Doménech et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: ALMA Finds Ingredient of Life Around Infant Sun-like Stars

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 am

Methyl isocyanate is a prebiotic molecule??? If so, then hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide must be too.
Methyl isocyanate (MIC) is an organic compound with the molecular formula CH3NCO. Synonyms are isocyanatomethane, methyl carbylamine, and MIC. Methyl isocyanate is an intermediate chemical in the production of carbamate pesticides (such as carbaryl, carbofuran, methomyl, and aldicarb). It has also been used in the production of rubbers and adhesives. As a highly toxic and irritating material, it is extremely hazardous to human health. It was the principal toxicant involved in the Bhopal disaster, which killed nearly 2,259 people initially and officially 3,787 people in total.
That is the first paragraph of the linked to Wikipedia article on methyl isocyanate. The rest of the article also makes no mention of its supposed role as "one of life's building blocks."

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Also, calling CH3NCO, a molecule with only 7 atoms, a "complex" organic molecule is misleading.

H2 + HCN + CO -> CH3NCO

If this is in the Cool-aid, I'm not drinking it.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Also, calling CH3NCO, a molecule with only 7 atoms, a "complex" organic molecule is misleading.

H2 + HCN + CO -> CH3NCO

If one is looking for life active organic ingredients are better than inert organic ingredients.

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 65#p271365
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:56 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:Also, calling CH3NCO, a molecule with only 7 atoms, a "complex" organic molecule is misleading.

H2 + HCN + CO -> CH3NCO

Bruce
Hey, Bruce, you are not some kind of inert chemical soup waiting for some catalyst to turn you inte pond scum! I'm just saying... what might be good for non-life trying to become alive is not necessarily so good for highly evolved complex life on the Earth!

Ann
Color Commentator

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Ob Boy .. sun warmed yogurt! (Oops, my bad .. that was Prebiotic, not probiotic.)
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Re: ALMA Finds Deadly Poison Around Infant Sun-like Stars

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Ann wrote:Hey, Bruce, you are not some kind of inert chemical soup waiting for some catalyst to turn you inte pond scum!
Indeed we are not. But what we are is members of a species with the capacity for critical thinking. I encourage the application of this rare ability. Sorry if that sounds pompous. We intelligent humans all have the capacity to think for ourselves, but many just blithely let others tell them what to think.
I'm just saying... what might be good for non-life trying to become alive is not necessarily so good for highly evolved complex life on the Earth!
Non-Iife does not have will, so it cannot try to do anything.

Bruce

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:02 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Ann wrote:I'm just saying... what might be good for non-life trying to become alive is not necessarily so good for highly evolved complex life on the Earth!

Bruce
Of course. But I have noticed several times that astronomers have been excited about finding a molecule that seems highly poisonous or generally disgusting to me.

I would think that those poisonous organic molecules might, under the right circumstances, act as catalysts that might start a chain reaction that might lead to more complex molecules that might lead to...

Okay. I have no idea how life started on Earth. But I believe that many astronomers are thinking along the lines I sketched above.

My point is that astronomers get excited about poisonous molecules in space because these molecules are somewhat complex and contain carbon, and life as we know it is carbon-based, and you've got to start somewhere. As I said, I believe that this is how many astronomers think.

And as for myself, I have nothing more to say about it, really.

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Ann wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Ann wrote:
I'm just saying... what might be good for non-life trying to become alive is not necessarily so good for highly evolved complex life on the Earth!
Of course. But I have noticed several times that astronomers have been excited about finding a molecule that seems highly poisonous or generally disgusting to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax wrote:
<<The Durand Express, a weekly newspaper in Durand, Michigan, reported in 1983 that "dihydrogen oxide" had been found in the city's water pipes, and warned that it was fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors.

Later Craig Jackson's website included the following warnings:
  • Dihydrogen monoxide (a.k.a, hydroxyl acid) :
    • is the major component of acid rain.
      contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
      may cause severe burns.
      contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
      accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
      may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
      has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
      in nuclear power plants.
      in the production of styrofoam.
      as a fire retardant.
      in many forms of cruel animal research.
      in the distribution of pesticides.
      as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products and even
      after washing, the produce remains contaminated by this chemical..
In 1997 Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project. Forty-three responders favored banning DHMO, six were undecided, and only one correctly recognized the toxic substance. Zohner won first prize in the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair.>>
Art Neuendorffer

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:32 pm

neufer wrote:
Ann wrote:
BDanielMayfield wrote: Non-Iife does not have will, so it cannot try to do anything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax wrote:
<<The Durand Express, a weekly newspaper in Durand, Michigan, reported in 1983 that "dihydrogen oxide" had been found in the city's water pipes, and warned that it was fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors.

Later Craig Jackson's website included the following warnings:
  • Dihydrogen monoxide (a.k.a, hydroxyl acid) :
    • is the major component of acid rain.
      contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
      may cause severe burns.
      contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
      accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
      may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
      has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
      in nuclear power plants.
      in the production of styrofoam.
      as a fire retardant.
      in many forms of cruel animal research.
      in the distribution of pesticides.
      as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products and even
      after washing, the produce remains contaminated by this chemical..
In 1997 Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project. Forty-three responders favored banning DHMO, six were undecided, and only one correctly recognized the toxic substance. Zohner won first prize in the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair.>>
Thank G_d for young minds. (Gord? Grundeid?)
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)