MSU: Shocking Discovery Explains Powerful Novae

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

MSU: Shocking Discovery Explains Powerful Novae

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Shocking Discovery Explains Powerful Novae
Michigan State University | 2017 Sep 04

In a typical year, there are around 50 novae, nuclear explosions on the surface of white dwarf stars, in our galaxy. Some of these explosions are so bright and powerful, they exceed the scale of scientific explanation.

Employing two powerful telescopes, astronomers at Michigan State University have proven a theory that explains these super-luminous novae and other astronomical explosions. The results, published in the current issue of Nature Astronomy, indicate that powerful shockwaves amplify the explosions beyond any traditional scale for nuclear explosions. ...

As the explosion begins, it ejects a cooler, slower wave of gaseous material, relatively speaking. Behind it, though, is a hot, fast wave speeding right behind it. The collision of the two ejections produces a shockwave, which results in a spectacular explosion of heat and light. ...

The discovery is marked by the researchers’ dogged persistence. When novae happen, there’s a good chance they’re being observed by Ohio State University’s All Sky Automated Survey for SuperNovae. ASAS-SN is a suite of robotic telescopes in the northern and southern hemispheres. In fact, ASAS-SN discovered this particular nova featured in this study – ASASSN-16ma. ...

A Nova Outburst Powered by Shocks - Kwan-Lok Li et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Youdon't say!!

Re: MSU: Shocking Discovery Explains Powerful Novae

Post by Youdon't say!! » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm

"they exceed the scale of scientific explanation."

Like, almost everything about cosmology exceeds scientific explanation.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Re: MSU: Shocking Discovery Explains Powerful Novae

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am

Sky & Telescope have an article about this.
Shockwaves Light up Stellar Explosions
By: Javier Barbuzano | September 14, 2017
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronom ... ight-nova/
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS