Curtin: Major Milestone for Murchison Widefield Array Radio Telescope

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Curtin: Major Milestone for Murchison Widefield Array Radio Telescope

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Major Milestone for Key Radio-Astronomy Project
Curtin University | Murchison Widefield Array | 2017 Nov 14
[img3="One tile in a larger array making up the MWA radio telescope"]http://17465-presscdn-0-45.pagely.netdn ... y-cite.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
The Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) has recorded a key milestone in its ongoing development, with the building and deployment of equipment for its Phase Two expansion now complete.

In an operation that has taken nearly 16 months, 128 new antenna stations have been assembled on the MWA site by a team of MWA operations staff, students from Curtin University and international project partners, as well as Geraldton contractors GCo Electrical.

This latest addition to the Curtin University-led MWA, brings the total number of antenna stations onsite at its remote location in Western Australia’s midwest region, to 256. ...

“By doubling the number of antennas, and quadrupling the size of the area they are distributed across, the telescope is now ten times more powerful in its exploration of the evolution of the universe, with an ability to discern details twice as fine as previously,” Associate Professor Wayth said. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: Curtin: Major Milestone for Murchison Widefield Array Radio Telescope

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 am

What a fine use for chicken wire :!:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:02 am

BDanielMayfield wrote:
What a fine use for chicken wire :!:
  • Seinfeld : The Voice
    • (Scene: At NYU)

Kramer: Dean Jones, you wanting to talk to me?

Dean Jones: I’ve been reviewing Darren’s internship journal.
    • Doing laundry…
Kramer: …Yeah.

Dean Jones: …Mending chicken wire, hi-tea with a Mr. Newman.

Kramer: I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica.

Dean Jones: As far as I can tell your entire enterprise is more than
  • a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.
Kramer: And with Darren’s help, we’ll get that chicken.

Dean Jones: I’m sorry, but we can’t allow Darren to continue working with you.

Kramer: Well, I have to say this seems capricious and arbitrary.

Dean Jones: Your fly is open.
Art Neuendorffer

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Kramerica went on in spite of official distain to prove conclusively that dropping a giant petroleum filled balloon from great height onto a sidewalk is a bad idea.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Kramerica went on in spite of official distain to prove conclusively that dropping a giant petroleum filled balloon from great height onto a sidewalk is a bad idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline wrote:
<<The Kramerica Pipeline System runs from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin in Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Texas, and also to oil tank farms and an oil pipeline distribution center in Cushing, Oklahoma. The pipeline came to a greater prominence of attention when a planned fourth phase, Kramerica XL, attracting growing environmental protest, became a symbol of the battle over climate change and fossil fuels. After more than six years of review, President Barack Obama announced on November 6, 2015, his administration's rejection of the fourth phase.

On January 24, 2017, President Trump signed presidential memoranda to revive both the Kramerica XL and Darren Access pipelines. The order would expedite the environmental review that Trump described as an "incredibly cumbersome, long, horrible permitting process[; i.e., capricious and arbitrary]." On March 24, 2017, Donald Trump signed a presidential permit to allow TransCanada to build the Kramerica XL pipeline.>>
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leaks-south-dakota.html wrote:
Keystone Pipeline Leaks 210,000 Gallons of Oil in South Dakota
By MITCH SMITH and JULIE BOSMAN, The New York Times, NOV. 16, 2017

<<About 5,000 barrels of oil, or about 210,000 gallons [; i.e., equal to a house sized oil ball 37.7 ft in diameter], gushed out of the Keystone Pipeline on Thursday in South Dakota, blackening a grassy field in the remote northeast part of the state and sending cleanup crews and emergency workers scrambling to the site. “This is not a little spill from any perspective,” said Kim McIntosh, an environmental scientist with the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The spill, near Amherst, S.D., comes just days before regulators in neighboring Nebraska decide whether to grant the final permit needed to begin construction on a different pipeline proposal, the Keystone XL, which would be operated by the same company. An announcement in Nebraska is expected on Monday.>>
Art Neuendorffer