Hubble Finds Huge System of Dusty Material Enveloping HR 4796A

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Hubble Finds Huge System of Dusty Material Enveloping HR 4796A

Post by bystander » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 am

Hubble Finds Huge System of Dusty Material Enveloping the Young Star HR 4796A
NASA | STScI | HubbleSite | 2018 Mar 06
hubblestscihp1811af.jpg
Credits: NASA/ESA/G. Schneider (Univ. of Arizona)
Astronomers have used NASA's Hubble Space Telescope to uncover a vast, complex dust structure, about 150 billion miles across, enveloping the young star HR 4796A. A bright, narrow, inner ring of dust is already known to encircle the star and may have been corralled by the gravitational pull of an unseen giant planet. This newly discovered huge structure around the system may have implications for what this yet-unseen planetary system looks like around the 8-million-year-old star, which is in its formative years of planet construction.

The debris field of very fine dust was likely created from collisions among developing infant planets near the star, evidenced by a bright ring of dusty debris seen 7 billion miles from the star. The pressure of starlight from the star, which is 23 times more luminous than the Sun, then expelled the dust far into space.

But the dynamics don't stop there. The puffy outer dust structure is like a donut-shaped inner tube that got hit by a truck. It is much more extended in one direction than in the other and so looks squashed on one side even after accounting for its inclined projection on the sky. This may be due to the motion of the host star plowing through the interstellar medium, like the bow wave from a boat crossing a lake. Or it may be influenced by a tidal tug from the star's red dwarf binary companion (HR 4796B), located at least 54 billion miles from the primary star. ...

The HR 4796A Debris System: Discovery of Extensive Exo-ring Dust Material - Glenn Schneider et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Hubble Finds Huge System of Dusty Material Enveloping HR 4796A

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 am

This is yet another star of spectral class A that turns out to have a huge dust system surrounding it.

Of course, this one is more remarkable than most, because, as the caption said, its "puffy outer dust structure is like a donut-shaped inner tube that got hit by a truck".

Fascinating! And personally I must wonder what happens to all this dusty stuff surrounding A-class stars when the stars keep blasting their dust with A-class star levels of ultraviolet radiation. Does the dust have time to form planets? I guess it does, because Fomalhaut has a planet.

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 am
This is yet another star of spectral class A that turns out to have a huge dust system surrounding it. Of course, this one is more remarkable than most, because, as the caption said, its "puffy outer dust structure is like a donut-shaped inner tube that got hit by a truck".

Fascinating! And personally I must wonder what happens to all this dusty stuff surrounding A-class stars when the stars keep blasting their dust with A-class star levels of ultraviolet radiation. Does the dust have time to form planets? I guess it does, because Fomalhaut has a planet.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm

neufer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 am
This is yet another star of spectral class A that turns out to have a huge dust system surrounding it. Of course, this one is more remarkable than most, because, as the caption said, its "puffy outer dust structure is like a donut-shaped inner tube that got hit by a truck".

Watch out, Pig-Pen, or you may form your own planetary system!

Ann
Color Commentator