NASA: Kepler Beyond Planets: Finding Exploding Stars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

NASA: Kepler Beyond Planets: Finding Exploding Stars

Post by bystander » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Kepler Beyond Planets: Finding Exploding Stars
NASA | JPL-Caltech | Ames Research Center | Kepler | 2018 Mar 26
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
FELT Supernova - Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Astronomer Ed Shaya was in his office looking at data from NASA’s Kepler space telescope in 2012 when he noticed something unusual: The light from a galaxy had quickly brightened by 10 percent. The sudden bump in light got Shaya instantly excited, but also nervous. The effect could be explained by the massive explosion of a star -- a supernova! -- or, more troublingly, a computer error.

“I just remember on that day, not knowing whether I should believe it or not,” he remembers. Rather than celebrate, he thought, “Did I make a mistake? Am I doing this all wrong?”

Stellar explosions forge and distribute materials that make up the world in which we live, and also hold clues to how fast the universe is expanding. By understanding supernovae, scientists can unlock mysteries that are key to what we are made of and the fate of our universe. But to get the full picture, scientists must observe supernovae from a variety of perspectives, especially in the first moments of the explosion. That's really difficult -- there's no telling when or where a supernova might happen next.

A small group of astronomers, including Shaya, realized Kepler could offer a new technique for supernova-hunting. Launched in 2009, Kepler is best known for having discovered thousands of exoplanets. But as a telescope that stares at single patches of space for long periods of time, it can capture a vast trove of other cosmic treasures --especially the kind that change rapidly or pop in and out of view, like supernovae. ...

Kepler Solves Mystery of Fast and Furious Explosions
NASA | STScI | HubbleSite | 2018 Mar 26

Astronomers Witness Death Throes of a Cocooned Star
Australian National University | 2018 Mar 26

A Fast-Evolving Luminous Transient Discovered by K2/Kepler - A. Rest et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor