Farnes Theory of “Dark Fluid” With Negative Mass

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Jim Leff
Science Officer

Farnes Theory of “Dark Fluid” With Negative Mass

Post by Jim Leff » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Any comment on Jamie Farnes’ theory, much-discussed in popular press, re: dark energy and matter being combined into “dark fluid”, characterized by a negative mass?

https://theconversation.com/bizarre-dar ... sts-107922

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Farnes Theory of “Dark Fluid” With Negative Mass

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Jim Leff wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm Bizarre ‘Dark Fluid’ With Negative Mass Could Dominate the Universe
The Conversation | Science + Technology | 2018 Dec 05

Bringing Balance to the Universe: New Theory
Could Explain Missing 95 Percent of the Cosmos

University of Oxford | via phys.org | 2018 Dec 05

A Unifying Theory of Dark Energy and Dark Matter: Negative Masses
and Matter Creation within a Modified ΛCDM Framework
~ J. S. Farnes
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Jim Leff wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm
Any comment on Jamie Farnes’ theory, much-discussed in popular press, re: dark energy and matter being combined into “dark fluid”, characterized by a negative mass?

Dark matter seems critical to the initial formation of galaxies & galactic clusters.

Dark energy seems critical to current observations of the recent expansion of the universe.

The only thing they seem to have in common is the modifier "dark."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If repulsive dark energy comes in the form of particles or blobs those negative mass particle/blobs would often be chasing positive mass particle/blobs around at an ever increasing velocity.
Art Neuendorffer

Jim Leff
Science Officer

Post by Jim Leff » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks. Is that your response to my thumbnail sketch, to the article I linked to, or just your policy position on dark matter/energy, generally?

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Jim Leff wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm
Thanks. Is that your response to my thumbnail sketch, to the article I linked to, or just your policy position on dark matter/energy, generally?
A quick assessment based on the article you linked to.

After posting I just watched the Weekly Space Hangout of Universe Today which includes more objections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=990&v=TJedQZh-BzY

Fluid dynamics is complicated enough without dealing with two fluids that are chasing one another (gravitationally); however, I'm not sure I totally agree with Universe Today that momentum conservation is violated if, in fact, one of the fluids has negative mass/inertia. Nevertheless, the proposal seems to create far more problems than it solves.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Jim Leff wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm Any comment on Jamie Farnes’ theory, much-discussed in popular press, re: dark energy and matter being combined into “dark fluid”, characterized by a negative mass?

The first thing I always as when somebody proposes a new theory is whether it does a better job of answering any questions, explaining any observations, or making better predictions that existing theory. This new idea seems to do none of those, but results in a more complicated overall picture. So I'm inclined to not take it very seriously, at least not until more theorists get on board with it, and experimental or observational evidence is found to support it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Galaxy wrote: <<The Bullet Cluster (1E 0657-558) consists of two colliding clusters of galaxies. Strictly speaking, the name Bullet Cluster refers to the smaller sub cluster, moving away from the larger one. It is at a co-moving radial distance of 1.141 Gpc. Gravitational lensing studies of the Bullet Cluster are claimed to provide the best evidence to date for the existence of dark matter. Observations of other galaxy cluster collisions, such as MACS J0025.4-1222, are similarly claimed to support the existence of dark matter.

The Bullet Galaxy (RXC J2359.3-6042 CC) is a galaxy in the galaxy cluster RXC J2359.3-6042 (Abell 4067 or ACO 4067). The Bullet Galaxy is the sole component of one half of a cluster merger between the bulk of the cluster and this galaxy, which is plowing through the cluster, similar to how merging clusters Bullet Cluster and Bullet Group have merged. The cluster merger is happening at lower speed than the Bullet Cluster, thus allowing the core of the Bullet Galaxy to retain cool gas and remain relatively undisturbed by its passage through the larger cluster. This cluster merger is the first one observed between a single galaxy and a cluster. The galaxy is traveling through the cluster at a speed of 1,310 km/s. By studying this unique merging researchers can gain insight on dark matter, and how it interacts with other objects in space. According to astrophysicists James Bullock, "Galaxy clusters that are merging with each other represent interesting laboratories for this kind of question,” when he was speaking of dark matter and the Bullet cluster.>>
Art Neuendorffer