CXC: Chandra Celebrates 20th Anniversary

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

CXC: Chandra Celebrates 20th Anniversary

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Chandra X-ray Observatory Celebrates 20th Anniversary
NASA | MSFC | SAO | Chandra X-ray Observatory | 2019 Jul 23
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, an assembly of new images is being released. These images represent the breadth of Chandra's exploration, demonstrating the variety of objects it studies as well as how X-rays complement the data collected in other types of light. Some of these images contain Chandra data exclusively and the rest show how X-rays fit with the different types of light that other telescopes collect.

The 20th anniversary images are from left to right (top to bottom):
  • Abell 2146: The colossal system Abell 2146 is the result of a collision and merger between two galaxy clusters. Astronomers think that galaxy clusters, the largest structures in the Universe held together by gravity, grow by colliding and merging with one another. Mergers of galaxy clusters are some of the most energetic events since the Big Bang. Chandra has observed many galaxy cluster mergers, giving scientists insight into how these mega-structures that dominate the Universe came to be.
  • Sgr A*: The central region of our galaxy, the Milky Way, contains an exotic collection of objects, including a supermassive black hole weighing about 4 million times the mass of the Sun (called Sagittarius A*), clouds of gas at temperatures of millions of degrees, neutron stars and white dwarf stars tearing material from companion stars and beautiful tendrils of radio emission.
  • 30 Doradus: At the center of 30 Doradus, one of the largest star-forming regions located close to the Milky Way, thousands of massive stars are blowing off material and producing intense radiation along with powerful winds. Chandra detects gas that has been heated to millions of degrees by these stellar winds and also by supernova explosions that mark the end of some giant stars' lives. These X-rays come from shock fronts, similar to sonic booms produced by supersonic airplanes, that rumble through the system.
  • Cygnus OB2: Stars come in different sizes and masses. Our Sun is an average-sized star that will have a lifespan of some 10 billion years. More massive stars, like those found in Cygnus OB2, only last a few million years. During their lifetimes, they blast large amounts of high-energy winds into their surroundings. These violent winds can collide or produce shocks in the gas and dust around the stars, depositing large amounts of energy that produce X-ray emission that Chandra can detect.
  • NGC 604: The nearby galaxy Messier 33 contains a star-forming region called NGC 604 where some 200 hot, young, massive stars reside. The cool dust and warmer gas in this stellar nursery appear as the wispy structures in an optical image from the Hubble Space Telescope. In between these filaments are giant voids that are filled with hot, X-ray-emitting gas. Astronomers think these bubbles are being blown off the surfaces of the young and massive stars throughout NGC 604.
  • G292: Supernova remnants are the debris from exploded stars. G292.0+1.8 is a rare type of supernova remnant observed to contain large amounts of oxygen. Because they are one of the primary sources of the heavy elements (that is, everything other than hydrogen and helium) necessary to form planets and people, these oxygen-rich supernova remnants are important to study. The X-ray image of G292+1.8 from Chandra shows a rapidly expanding, intricately structured field left behind by the shattered star. The image is colored red, green, teal and purple in X-rays ranging from the lowest to highest energy levels.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: CXC: Chandra Celebrates 20th Anniversary

Post by Ann » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Chandra X-ray Observatory wrote:

At the center of 30 Doradus, one of the largest star-forming regions located close to the Milky Way,
What?

Stars come in different sizes and masses. Our Sun is an average-sized star
Not true. The huge majority of stars in the Milky Way are smaller than the Sun, and many of them are way smaller. Our Sun is not uncommon, because there are undoubtedly tens and possibly hundreds of millions of stars like it in the Milky Way, but our Sun is not average.

In spite of my complaints, I find the pictures very interesting. I think I can spot R136a in the 30 Doradus image. I'd love to see an annotated version of the Cygnus OB2 image, och to see a comparison between the Chandra image and, perhaps, a Spitzer image of the same region. I'd also love to see an overlay of the Chandra NGC 604 nebula image and the Hubble NGC 604 image. What interests me about the NGC 604 image is that this nebula contains two large major "bubbles", and the Hubble picture shows that one bubble is full of stars, while the other one isn't. But in the Chandra image, it is not so obvious that there are more X-ray sources in one bubble than in the other.

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm
In spite of my complaints, I find the pictures very interesting. I think I can spot R136a in the 30 Doradus image. I'd love to see an annotated version of the Cygnus OB2 image, och to see a comparison between the Chandra image and, perhaps, a Spitzer image of the same region. I'd also love to see an overlay of the Chandra NGC 604 nebula image and the Hubble NGC 604 image. What interests me about the NGC 604 image is that this nebula contains two large major "bubbles", and the Hubble picture shows that one bubble is full of stars, while the other one isn't. But in the Chandra image, it is not so obvious that there are more X-ray sources in one bubble than in the other.
Here are the component images. There are x-ray, optical, and infrared images of Cygnus OB2 and x-ray and optical images of NGC 604. The optical for Cyg OB2 is from the Isaac Newton Telescope and the infrared is Spitzer. The optical for NGC 604 is Hubble.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:13 pm

At the center of 30 Doradus, one of the largest star-forming regions located close to the Milky Way,
What?

Ann
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by close. From some online article I just found...
The star-forming region, 30 Doradus, is one of the largest located close to the Milky Way and is found in the neighboring galaxy, Large Magellanic Cloud.
That's pretty close compared to, say, Andromeda. But it's definitely farther away from you than, say, Nova Scotia.

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:09 am

rstevenson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:13 pm

What?

Ann
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by close. From some online article I just found...
The star-forming region, 30 Doradus, is one of the largest located close to the Milky Way and is found in the neighboring galaxy, Large Magellanic Cloud.
That's pretty close compared to, say, Andromeda. But it's definitely farther away from you than, say, Nova Scotia.

Rob
Ooops!! My mistake! I was thinking of another starforming region inside the Milky Way... Sorry!!! :oops:

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:11 am

bystander wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm
Here are the component images. There are x-ray, optical, and infrared images of Cygnus OB2 and x-ray and optical images of NGC 604. The optical for Cyg OB2 is from the Isaac Newton Telescope and the infrared is Spitzer. The optical for NGC 604 is Hubble.
Thanks, bystander! :D

The reason why I asked specifically about NGC 604 is that I'm sure that I've read here at Starship Asterisk* that one of the major cavities of NGC 604 is powered by recent star formation, while the other cavity is mostly powered by supernova remnants.

Ann
Color Commentator