AAVSO: Variable Star Repository (VSX) Data Milestone

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

AAVSO: Variable Star Repository (VSX) Data Milestone

Post by bystander » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Data Milestone Achieved in AAVSO’s Variable Star Repository, VSX
American Association of Variable Star Observers | 2019 Oct 16
Compiling together multiple pieces of information for each of a million-plus objects is no easy or quick task, but that is exactly what Sebastián Otero, Patrick Wils, Patrick Schmeer, and Klaus Bernhard did. Due to this skilled team providing tremendous amounts of time, patience, and attention to detail, data and updated information on 1,391,103 variable stars (and counting) are now entered into the International Variable Star Index (VSX), owned and operated by the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO).

VSX was conceived and created in 2005 by AAVSO volunteer Christopher L. Watson, as a response to the AAVSO professional and amateur astronomer community’s need for a database comprised of up-to-the-minute information on as many individual variable stars as possible. What started as an online catalog of information on objects with variability that can be detected from the ground (an amplitude of more than 0.001 mag.), evolved to become the backbone of the AAVSO’s online tools, infrastructure, and databases, and an essential resource for the astronomical researcher community. VSX includes all known data on the logged stars, such as their variability type, stellar spectral type and period, bibliography, and finding charts. This information is sourced and reviewed from an abundance of star catalogs, including surveys such as WISE, CoRoT, Kepler/K2, ASAS-SN, and OGLE. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: AAVSO: Variable Star Repository (VSX) Data Milestone

Post by neufer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:40 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris wrote:

<<Polaris, commonly the North Star or Pole Star, is a triple star system, composed of the primary star, Polaris Aa (a yellow supergiant), in orbit with a smaller companion (Polaris Ab); the pair in orbit with Polaris B (discovered in August 1779 by William Herschel).

Polaris Aa, the supergiant primary component, is a low-amplitude Population I classical δ Cepheid variable, although it was once thought to be a type II Cepheid (a BL Herculis variable in-between W Virginis & RR Lyrae variables) due to its high galactic latitude. Cepheids constitute an important standard candle for determining distance, so Polaris, as the closest such star, is heavily studied. The variability of Polaris had been suspected since 1852.
  • 1) The range of brightness of Polaris during its pulsations is given as 1.86–2.13, but the amplitude has changed since discovery. Prior to 1963, the amplitude was over 0.1 magnitude and was very gradually decreasing. After 1966 it very rapidly decreased until it was less than 0.05 magnitude; since then, it has erratically varied near that range. It has been reported that the amplitude is now increasing again, a reversal not seen in any other Cepheid.

2) The period, roughly 4 days, has also changed over time. It has steadily increased by around 4.5 seconds per year except for a hiatus in 1963–1965. This was originally thought to be due to secular redward evolution across the Cepheid instability strip, but it may be due to interference between the primary and the first-overtone pulsation modes. Authors disagree on whether Polaris is a fundamental or first-overtone pulsator and on whether it is crossing the instability strip for the first time or not.

3) The temperature of Polaris varies by only a small amount during its pulsations, but the amount of this variation is variable and unpredictable. The erratic changes of temperature and the amplitude of temperature changes during each cycle, from less than 50 K to at least 170 K, may be related to the orbit with Polaris Ab.

4) Research reported in Science suggests that Polaris is 2.5 times brighter today than when Ptolemy observed it, changing from third to second magnitude. Astronomer Edward Guinan considers this to be a remarkable change and is on record as saying that "if they are real, these changes are 100 times larger than [those] predicted by current theories of stellar evolution".>>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet_116 wrote:
<<William Shakespeare's sonnet 116 begins by stating he should not stand in the way of "the marriage of true minds", and that love cannot be true if it changes for any reason; true love should be constant, through any difficulties. In the seventh line, the poet makes a nautical reference, alluding to love being much like the north star is to sailors. Love also should not fade with time; instead, true love is, as is the polar star, "ever-fixed" and lasts forever.>>
Only Sonnets "MARRIAGE" : Sonnet 116 (mis-numbered as 119 = 17 x 7)
. LEt me not to the *MARRIAGE* of *TRUE* mindes
. Admit impediments, love is not love
. Which alters when it alteration findes,
. Or bends with the remouer to remo{V}e.
. O no, it is [AN {E}VER] fixed marke
. That lo(O)kes on temp(E)sts and is {N}<E>[VER] SHAKE{N};
.<I>t is the ST{A}<R> to EVERy wa<N>dring bark<E>,
. Whose wort<H>s u{N}knowne, although his hight be taken.
. Lou's {N}ot Times foole, though rosie lips and che{E}ks
. Within his bending sickles compasse {C}ome,
. Loue alters not with his breefe hour{e}s and weekes,
. But beares it out euen to the edge of doome:
. If this be error and vpon me proued,
. I nEVER writ, nor no man EVER loved.

Code: Select all

.          <= 34 =>
. ItistheST {A} RtoEVERywaNdringbarkEWho
. sewortHsu {N} knownealthoughhishightbe
. takenLous {N} otTimesfoolethoughrosiel
. ipsandche {E} ksWithinhisbendingsickle
. scompasse {C} omeLouealtersnotwithhisb
. reefehour {e} sandweekes
{ANNE Ce.} 34
DECEMBER 19:, 1571: Edward de VERE married {ANNE Ce}cil
daughter of William Cecil, satirized as OPHELIA's father POLONIUS
& Queen Elizabeth's Lord (*TREASURER*: 1572-1598)

DECEMBER 19: The Roman festival of *OPALIA*
{ANNE Ce}cil age 15 = *OPHELIA/OPALIA*

<<The major temple was of *OPS* Capitolina, on the Capitoline Hill,
where Caesar had located the *TREASURY*.>>

<<*OPS* (Opis) The Roman goddess of the earth as a source of fertility,
and a goddess of abundance and wealth in general (her name means
"PLENTY"). As goddess of harvest she is closely associated
with the god Consus. She is the sister and wife of Saturn.>>

Code: Select all

.          <= 10 =>
.    r e m o{V} e. O  n  o,
.  i t i s[A N {E} V  E  R]