ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18990
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Post by bystander » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm

ESO Telescope Reveals What Could be the
Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System

ESO Science Release | VLT | SPHERE | 2019 Oct 28
Astronomers using ESO’s SPHERE instrument at the Very Large Telescope (VLT) have revealed that the asteroid Hygiea could be classified as a dwarf planet. The object is the fourth largest in the asteroid belt after Ceres, Vesta and Pallas. For the first time, astronomers have observed Hygiea in sufficiently high resolution to study its surface and determine its shape and size. They found that Hygiea is spherical, potentially taking the crown from Ceres as the smallest dwarf planet in the Solar System.

As an object in the main asteroid belt, Hygiea satisfies right away three of the four requirements to be classified as a dwarf planet: it orbits around the Sun, it is not a moon and, unlike a planet, it has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit. The final requirement is that it has enough mass for its own gravity to pull it into a roughly spherical shape. This is what VLT observations have now revealed about Hygiea. ...

The team also used the SPHERE observations to constrain Hygiea’s size, putting its diameter at just over 430 km. Pluto, the most famous of dwarf planets, has a diameter close to 2400 km, while Ceres is close to 950 km in size.

Surprisingly, the observations also revealed that Hygiea lacks the very large impact crater that scientists expected to see on its surface ...

A basin-free spherical shape as an outcome of a giant impact on asteroid Hygiea ~ P. Vernazza et al
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16427
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:32 pm

bystander wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm
ESO Telescope Reveals What Could be the
Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System

ESO Science Release | VLT | SPHERE | 2019 Oct 28
Astronomers using ESO’s SPHERE instrument at the Very Large Telescope (VLT) have revealed that the asteroid Hygiea could be classified as a dwarf planet. The object is the fourth largest in the asteroid belt after Ceres, Vesta and Pallas. For the first time, astronomers have observed Hygiea in sufficiently high resolution to study its surface and determine its shape and size. They found that Hygiea is spherical, potentially taking the crown from Ceres as the smallest dwarf planet in the Solar System...Surprisingly, the observations also revealed that Hygiea lacks the very large impact crater that scientists expected to see on its surface ...
Hygiea, heal thyself :!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygieia wrote:
<<In Greek as well as Roman mythology, Hygieia (also Hygiea or Hygeia; Ancient Greek: Ὑγιεία or Ὑγεία, Latin: Hygēa or Hygīa), was one of the Aeclepiadae; the sons and daughters of the god of medicine, Asclepius, and the goddess of healing, Epione. She was the goddess/personification of health (Greek: ὑγίεια - hugieia), cleanliness and hygiene.

Hygieia as well as her four sisters each performed a facet of Apollo's Art: Hygieia ("Hygiene" the goddess/personification of health, cleanliness, and sanitation); Panacea (the goddess of Universal remedy); Iaso (the goddess of recuperation from illness); Aceso (the goddess of the healing process); and Aglaïa (the goddess of beauty, splendor, glory, magnificence, and adornment).

Hygieia also played an important part in her father's cult. While her father was more directly associated with healing, she was associated with the prevention of sickness and the continuation of good health. Her name is the source of the word "hygiene".>>
A.C.Ne.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 am

The caption "Cross section of dwarf planet Hygeia" was funny, Art! :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16427
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Ann wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 am

The caption "Cross section of dwarf planet Hygeia" was funny, Art! :lol2:
Sadly, there is little chance of finding microbial life in the interior ocean.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: ESO: Smallest Dwarf Planet Yet in the Solar System?

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:05 pm

neufer wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:43 pm
Ann wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:56 am

The caption "Cross section of dwarf planet Hygeia" was funny, Art! :lol2:
Sadly, there is little chance of finding microbial life in the interior ocean.
Are you sure?
Ann
Color Commentator