Cornell: Researchers Use 'Hot Jupiter' Data to Mine Exoplanet Chemistry

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Cornell: Researchers Use 'Hot Jupiter' Data to Mine Exoplanet Chemistry

Post by bystander » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Researchers Use 'Hot Jupiter' Data to Mine Exoplanet Chemistry
Cornell University | 2020 Apr 24
After spotting a curious pattern in scientific papers – they described exoplanets as being cooler than expected – Cornell astronomers have improved a mathematical model to accurately gauge the temperatures of planets from solar systems hundreds of light-years away.

This new model allows scientists to gather data on an exoplanet’s molecular chemistry and gain insight on the cosmos’ planetary beginnings ... Nikole Lewis ... had noticed that over the past five years, scientific papers described exoplanets as being much cooler than predicted by theoretical models. “It seemed to be a trend – a new phenomenon,” Lewis said. “The exoplanets were consistently colder than scientists would expect.”

To date, astronomers have detected more than 4,100 exoplanets. Among them are “hot Jupiters,” a common type of gaseous giant that always orbits close to its host star. Thanks to the star’s overwhelming gravity, hot Jupiters always have one side facing their star, a situation known as “tidal locking.” Therefore, as one side of the hot Jupiter broils, the planet’s far side features much cooler temperatures. In fact, the hot side of the tidally locked exoplanet bulges like a balloon, shaping it like an egg. ...

Why Is it So Cold in Here? Explaining the Cold Temperatures Retrieved from Transmission
Spectra of Exoplanet Atmospheres
~ Ryan J. MacDonald, Jayesh M. Goyal, Nikole K. Lewis
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

saturno2
Commander

Re: Cornell: Researchers Use 'Hot Jupiter' Data to Mine Exoplanet Chemistry

Post by saturno2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:18 pm

very interesting