What???

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

What???

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 pm

Found on Mars; page 204! of discuss a picture of the day
2N191352043EFFANBZP0715L0M1.jpg
Just wondering if this was ever resolved! I can't believe it is just a Rock!
To Me, It looks like some type of plant pod; about to open! :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Take a closer look, Orin.

Post by neufer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 pm
Found on Mars; page 204! of discuss a picture of the day.

Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Take a closer look, Orin.

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm

neufer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm

😮😲😱

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm

😮😲😱

Ann
Closer look at Art's Alien? Or am I missing some point you amaking? Here's an Iris Bud! From on line images
th.jpg
th.jpg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Can you see what I'm thinking?
And I picked a blue one just for you!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 pm

+1 Art; good find! :rocketship:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 pm

😮😲😱

Ann
Oops sorry Ann; Guess I was looking at Neufers reply instead of yours! I guess you were replying to; Nevermind! Actually I was mixing his reply with yours! Say how did they allow you get a 4'th smiley in?
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 am

orin stepanek wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 pm

😮😲😱

Ann
Closer look at Art's Alien? Or am I missing some point you amaking? Here's an Iris Bud! From on line images th.jpg
Can you see what I'm thinking?
And I picked a blue one just for you!
Thanks, Orin, your iris bud is lovely! :D

Blue Iris.jpg
We have had the most extreme non-winter here in Sweden, so we already have some (admittedly small) blue irises here. These are from the property of my condominium.

You wanted to know how I managed to put four emojis in one post? The answer is that you go to this page, Copy and Paste Emojis. You copy the emoji you want to use and then paste it into whatever document or comment you want to put it in. I don't think there is a limit as to how many such emojis we may insert in one post.

I suggest we go easy on the "copy and paste emojis", however, so that the moderators don't make new rules to stop us.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: What???

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Thanks Ann!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: What???

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:58 pm

OBTW; I said page 204; but you should know, every 25 days the page advances a page; unless some extra posts are made! :mrgreen:
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 am We have had the most extreme non-winter here in Sweden, so we already have some (admittedly small) blue irises here.
When it comes to weather and climate, there's just no "typical" anymore.

Here in Colorado we've had the most extreme winter I can remember. We had a deep freeze (negative Fahrenheit) in early October, along with heavy snow. That snow has persisted to now, with many subsequent storms dropping yet more. I've lived here 25 years and never had a winter where snow lay on most of the ground so long. Usually we have snow and it's evaporated away in a day or two. And we've had many, many very cold nights, in the single digits (F). Still lots of sun, fortunately. All in all, an awesome year for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. And I'm looking ahead (especially now that I can sense spring in the air) at a summer with green pastures, fantastic wildflowers, and a low risk of wildfires.

At least all of this bizarre weather around the world is serving to convince the last holdouts that climate change is a real thing.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Here in Colorado we've had the most extreme winter I can remember. We had a deep freeze (negative Fahrenheit) in early October, along with heavy snow. That snow has persisted to now, with many subsequent storms dropping yet more. I've lived here 25 years and never had a winter where snow lay on most of the ground so long. Usually we have snow and it's evaporated away in a day or two. And we've had many, many very cold nights, in the single digits (F). Still lots of sun, fortunately. All in all, an awesome year for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. And I'm looking ahead (especially now that I can sense spring in the air) at a summer with green pastures, fantastic wildflowers, and a low risk of wildfires.

At least all of this bizarre weather around the world is serving to convince the last holdouts that climate change is a real thing.
We have had a lot of storms and a lot of rain, but precious little snow. Here in Malmö we have had no snow at all (not that I complain), but farther north, where they are used to doing a lot of winter sports, the lack of snow is a real problem.

And yes, climate change is most certainly for real.

Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:40 pm

We have had a lot of storms and a lot of rain, but precious little snow. Here in Malmö we have had no snow at all (not that I complain), but farther north, where they are used to doing a lot of winter sports, the lack of snow is a real problem.

And yes, climate change is most certainly for real.
  • Cold Colorado Rockies trough driven storms plus warm Gulf Stream moisture often end up in Scandinavia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Ciara wrote: <<Storm Ciara was a powerful and long-lived extratropical cyclone that was the first of a pair of European windstorms to impact the United Kingdom and Ireland at peak intensity less than a week apart. Ciara caused widespread wind and flooding damage across both North America and Europe, and at least 18 fatalities. The cyclone was first noted as a developing winter storm over the Pacific Northwest of the United States on 2 February 2020. After crossing North America, the system emerged into the North Atlantic and underwent rapid intensification. Ciara subsequently made landfall in northern Scotland on 9 February and Norway the next day. The worst effects from Ciara were felt in Ireland and the United Kingdom, where the storm arrived over the weekend of 8–9 February, bringing high winds and heavy rainfall that caused severe damage, widespread flooding and three fatalities in the latter country.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Dennis wrote: <<Storm Dennis was a February 2020 European windstorm which, in , became one of the most intense extratropical cyclones ever recorded, reaching a minimum central pressure of 920 millibars (27.17 inches of mercury). The thirteenth named storm of the 2019–20 European windstorm season, Dennis struck Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom at peak intensity less than a week after Storm Ciara, exacerbating the impacts from that storm amidst ongoing flooding in the latter country.

Art Neuendorffer