Solar eclipse of June 10, 2021

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Ann
4725 Å

Solar eclipse of June 10, 2021

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Tora Greve testing her camera for the eclipse of June 10 2021.jpg

The solar eclipse was very partial here in Malmö, only 33%, and what's worse, the sky was almost completely overcast during maximum eclipse! All right, but the sky was much clearer during much of the eclipse, and some of us (not me!) got some quite decent photos anyway.

The woman in the picture testing her equipment is Tora Greve, 78 years old. She has seen 22 total solar eclipses worldwide, among them the midnight sun solar eclipse in Antarctica, in June, 2011. The person standing behind her in the photo is Erik Johansson, and while I don't know his exact age, I'd say he is not much younger than Tora (if he is younger at all), and he, too, was in Antarctica for the midnight sun solar eclipse of 2011! Tora and Erik told me today that they are members of a select group of only 400 human beings who have seen a midnight solar eclipse in Antarctica! I said that that makes them only slightly less cool than the 12 people who have walked on the Moon!

Erik Johansson has seen 24 solar eclipses worldwide!

Ann

P.S. Tora and Erik are going back to Antarctica for next year's solar eclipse (or maybe that is the solar eclipse of 2023). Whatever!
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Solar eclipse of June 10, 2021

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm

The woman in the picture testing her equipment is Tora Greve, 78 years old. She has seen 22 total solar eclipses worldwide, among them the midnight sun solar eclipse in Antarctica, in June, 2011. The person standing behind her in the photo is Erik Johansson, and while I don't know his exact age, I'd say he is not much younger than Tora (if he is younger at all), and he, too, was in Antarctica for the midnight sun solar eclipse of 2011! Tora and Erik told me today that they are members of a select group of only 400 human beings who have seen a midnight solar eclipse in Antarctica! I said that that makes them only slightly less cool than the 12 people who have walked on the Moon! Erik Johansson has seen 24 solar eclipses worldwide! Tora and Erik are going back to Antarctica for next year's solar eclipse (or maybe that is the solar eclipse of 2023). Whatever!
:arrow: Folks that partial to seeing total solar eclipses will probably be taking a cruise off the Falklands in December.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Solar eclipse of June 10, 2021

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:12 am

neufer wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 pm
Ann wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm

The woman in the picture testing her equipment is Tora Greve, 78 years old. She has seen 22 total solar eclipses worldwide, among them the midnight sun solar eclipse in Antarctica, in June, 2011. The person standing behind her in the photo is Erik Johansson, and while I don't know his exact age, I'd say he is not much younger than Tora (if he is younger at all), and he, too, was in Antarctica for the midnight sun solar eclipse of 2011! Tora and Erik told me today that they are members of a select group of only 400 human beings who have seen a midnight solar eclipse in Antarctica! I said that that makes them only slightly less cool than the 12 people who have walked on the Moon! Erik Johansson has seen 24 solar eclipses worldwide! Tora and Erik are going back to Antarctica for next year's solar eclipse (or maybe that is the solar eclipse of 2023). Whatever!
:arrow: Folks that partial to seeing total solar eclipses will probably be taking a cruise off the Falklands in December.
Tora and Erik didn't take a cruise off the Falklands last time they were in Antarctica, and they won't be doing it this time, either! Last time they hitched a ride on a Russian cargo plane, since the eclipse could only be seen in the Russian-controlled zone of Antarctica!

This time the eclipse won't be in "Russian Antarctica", so Erik and Tora will not go back to Antarctica courtesy of Russia. But they will fly there and spend some time there, probably two weeks.

Cruising is for weaklings, not for Tora and Erik! And just like astronauts, they have already passed a relatively rigorous health test to be approved as travelers to Antarctica! 👩‍🚀 👩‍⚕️

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:31 am

Ann wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:12 am
Tora and Erik didn't take a cruise off the Falklands last time they were in Antarctica, and they won't be doing it this time, either! Last time they hitched a ride on a Russian cargo plane, since the eclipse could only be seen in the Russian-controlled zone of Antarctica!

This time the eclipse won't be in "Russian Antarctica", so Erik and Tora will not go back to Antarctica courtesy of Russia. But they will fly there and spend some time there, probably two weeks.

Cruising is for weaklings, not for Tora and Erik! And just like astronauts, they have already passed a relatively rigorous health test to be approved as travelers to Antarctica! 👩‍🚀 👩‍⚕️
I wonder what Greta Thunberg thinks about those "strong Swedish astronauts" (Tora & Erik) dropping their huge carbon footprints so that they can selfishly indulge themselves into personally observing every single possibly total solar eclipse they can. :evil:

NOT COOL for Greta and her generation.
Art Neuendorffer