Speed of light

The cosmos at our fingertips.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Cosmogony

Post by neufer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:28 pm

bystander wrote:BBT does not require a singularity. That there was a singularity is only an assumption (and not a universal one even in BBT) that arises from the observance of an expanding universe. Very little can be known about the universe prior to CMB. Any ideas about the very early universe are speculative and belong to the realm of cosmogony not cosmology.
Has anyone else here ever read Sir James Jeans's _Problems of Cosmogony and Stellar Dynamics_ (1919)?
I struggled with the Dover classic edition one summer back in 1965.
---------------------------------------------
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Sir_James_Hopwood_Jeans.aspx wrote:
<<Sir James Hopwood Jeans was an English mathematician, physicist, and astronomer. He was professor of applied mathematics at Princeton Univ. (1905-9), later lectured at Cambridge (1910-12) and Oxford (1922), and was research associate at Mt. Wilson Observatory (1923-44). He was knighted in 1928. He devoted himself to mathematical physics and contributed to the dynamical theory of gases and the mathematical theory of electricity and magnetism. Going on to astrophysics and cosmogony, he solved the problem of the behavior of rotating masses of compressible fluids. He was then able to explain the behavior of certain nebulae, discuss the origins of binary stars, and describe the evolution of gaseous stars. These ideas are presented in Problems of Cosmogony and Stellar Dynamics (1919). With Harold A. Jeffreys he developed the tidal hypothesis of the origin of the earth. In 1929, Jeans abandoned research and became one of the most outstanding popularizers of science and the philosophy of science.>>
---------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hopwood_Jeans wrote:
Sir James Hopwood Jeans (September 11, 1877 in Ormskirk, Lancashire – September 16, 1946 in Dorking, Surrey) made important contributions in many areas of physics, including quantum theory, the theory of radiation and stellar evolution. His analysis of rotating bodies led him to conclude that Laplace's theory that the solar system formed from a single cloud of gas was incorrect, proposing instead that the planets condensed from material drawn out of the sun by a hypothetical catastrophic near-collision with a passing star. This theory is not accepted today.

Jeans, along with Arthur Eddington, is a founder of British cosmology. In 1928 Jeans was the first to conjecture a steady state cosmology based on a hypothesized continuous creation of matter in the universe. This theory was ruled out when the 1965 discovery of the cosmic microwave background was widely interpreted as the tell-tale signature of the Big Bang.

His scientific reputation is grounded in the monographs The Dynamical Theory of Gases (1904), Theoretical Mechanics (1906), and Mathematical Theory of Electricity and Magnetism (1908). After retiring in 1929, he wrote a number of books for the lay public, including The Stars in Their Courses (1931), The Universe Around Us, Through Space and Time (1934), The New Background of Science (1933), and The Mysterious Universe. These books made Jeans fairly well known as an expositor of the revolutionary scientific discoveries of his day, especially in relativity and physical cosmology.

One of Jeans' major discoveries, named Jeans length, is a critical radius of an interstellar cloud in space. It depends on the temperature, and density of the cloud, and the mass of the particles composing the cloud. A cloud that is smaller than its Jeans length will not have sufficient gravity to overcome the repulsive gas pressure forces and condense to form a star, whereas a cloud that is larger than its Jeans length will collapse. Jeans came up with another version of this equation, called Jeans mass or Jeans instability, that solves for the critical mass a cloud must attain before being able to collapse. Jeans also helped to discover the Rayleigh-Jeans law, which relates the energy density of blackbody radiation to the temperature of the emission source.>>
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2853700377/
Art Neuendorffer

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Re: Is there a mathematical symbol for 'Now'?

Post by The Code » Thu May 28, 2009 9:17 pm

The math says we can time travel... Gravity distorts time. Speed says we can fast forward time. And Black holes are far behind us in time. But if the BBT created all, it created the future and the past in one instant.. And we live in that space time void. But i have to point out that this is my belief,,, which i have not read or copied from any where.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

astrolabe
Science Officer

Re: Why free falling stones don't feel gravitational force

Post by astrolabe » Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Hello aristarchusinexile,

It would seem that, as I understand the article, it is more an issue of semantics with you. I get the impression that action at a distance (which is not valid in GR) is not the same as non-locality which at the quantum level is referred to as entanglement (with some types of general non-locality senarios accepted in GR but it is beyond me, of course, to say which).

P.S. I don't mean to muddy things up but light cannot escape from a black hole i think because it never fell in to begin with!
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 pm

mark swain wrote:Tip of the iceberg that... it gets real bad Lucy...

Mark
Hey! I have a hard enough time getting a girlfriend .. not need for any help.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Thu May 28, 2009 11:19 pm

bystander wrote: Now only has meaning with respect to the observer, not the event.
This I can not begin to pretend to agree with.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 pm

mark swain wrote:The math says we can time travel... Gravity distorts time. Speed says we can fast forward time. And Black holes are far behind us in time. But if the BBT created all, it created the future and the past in one instant.. And we live in that space time void. But i have to point out that this is my belief,,, which i have not read or copied from any where.

Mark
I have read similar things in PHD written material.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Hello ari,

I differ on the idea that "now" is finite. Now can only be a singularity- no past/no present. There is no time in "now", there can't be; so for all intents and purposes, to me, it translates to infinity- which one has to be very careful with. Because, with regard to infinity, non-locality will not be a thing or an event occurring in two places at once- that thing/event will be occuring EVERYWHERE at once!

The mystery to me is this: at some point for SOME REASON/CAUSE or EFFECT time became a factor in the mix and, from that point on, resulted in event progression. Subsequently event progression became the reality for us and now we're trying to figure out that very progression and it's mechanisms. The only thing with that is this: I haven't a clue if whether or not the answers (if we find them) will have any meaning for us.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 pm

mark swain wrote:The math says we can time travel... Gravity distorts time. Speed says we can fast forward time. And Black holes are far behind us in time. But if the BBT created all, it created the future and the past in one instant.. And we live in that space time void. But i have to point out that this is my belief,,, which i have not read or copied from any where.
  • Memorable quotes for Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007)
    ---------------------------------------
    Professor Farnsworth: Time travel is impossible!

Fry: But Professor, you time traveled yourself. Remember? When we went back to Roswell?

Professor Farnsworth: That proves nothing! And furthermore, you'd think I could remember a thing like that! Plus, who are you anyway?
    Leela: What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?

Fry: It was bound to be somewhere!

Code: Select all

0 0 1 1 0 0
    0 1 0 0 1 0
    0 1 1 1 1 0
    1 0 0 0 0 1
    1 0 1 1 0 1
    1 1 0 0 1 1
    Leela: [Bender returns from time travel and steals... ] The Mona Lisa!

Bender: Sorry, it's not quite finished.

Shlump: Da Vinci give you any trouble?

Bender: Let's just say he might not make it to "The Last Supper".
Art Neuendorffer

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri May 29, 2009 4:38 am

I was going to post a bunch of responses, but then... what is use of proving illogical people that they are illogical? Since they are illogical, any sort of proof will simply be dismissed immediately, so why bother?

Instead I am going to post this equally related to astronomy thing I have made few days ago.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Re: Did Einstiein believe that universe is expanding?

Post by harry » Fri May 29, 2009 6:20 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Hello Aris
The idea that the universe is expanding to stop the ultimate collapse is a bit funny.

First you need to understand how compact matter works and the jet formation and the limits to black hole sizes stopping the ultimate collapse to one point or various points.

Yes there are parts that are expanding and we can see the movement. There are other parts that are bound by gravity. To understand these movements is the key to understanding the universe.

Looking at the giant jets formed in the centre of cluster of galaxies gives us some idea of their power to alter galaxy form in near and far galaxies.

as for reading

I'm reading through the April 2009 ACG
http://www.cosmology.info/newsletter/2009.04.pdf
Harry : Smile and live another day.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Re: Impact of intergalactic dust with type Ia Supernova

Post by harry » Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 am

G'day rom the land of ozzz

Fantastic Holiday.

Going there next year.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Why free falling stones don't have a symbol for 'Now'?

Post by makc » Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 am

I was thinking a lot about these matters, and my spiritual readings suggest that it is because relativity is wrong in interpreting "now" as observer-based concept, and since relativity is wrong so must be BBT aka LCDM since it is based on relativity. The resulting vaccuum in science can be easily filled with chronons-based interpretation of non-locality. I think scientists will prove all of this beyond doubt in next two (max twelve) years, because recent studies of powerful galactic and black hole jets improve our understanding of universe step by step, and scientific establishment can't really put a muzzle on that, like they did with Einstein's asymmetric metric theory. In conclusion, I posses an intelligence superior to anyone else who posted below.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Re: Why free falling stones don't have a symbol for 'Now'?

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat May 30, 2009 3:52 pm

makc wrote:I was thinking a lot about these matters, and my spiritual readings suggest that it is because relativity is wrong in interpreting "now" as observer-based concept, and since relativity is wrong so must be BBT aka LCDM since it is based on relativity. The resulting vaccuum in science can be easily filled with chronons-based interpretation of non-locality. I think scientists will prove all of this beyond doubt in next two (max twelve) years, because recent studies of powerful galactic and black hole jets improve our understanding of universe step by step, and scientific establishment can't really put a muzzle on that, like they did with Einstein's asymmetric metric theory. In conclusion, I posses an intelligence superior to anyone else who posted below.
Please remember, Makc, you got the " 'now' is not an observer-based concept " from me .. thererfore, crazy or not, I might be smarter than you because I thought of it first .. but if so don't be jealous .. or perhaps thinking of it first does not make me smarter at all, simply that I observed the reality first .. if so don't be jealous, just remember that I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST MAKC!!!!!!!!!!! Or, perhaps I expressed it on apod first .. irregardless, the Nobel is MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Why APOD editors change my topic and credits

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat May 30, 2009 3:53 pm

So THEY can be nominated for the Nobel. It's MINE MINE MINE for discovering now x infinity = the Infinite Now as opposed to >t< the finite Now. I would like to nominate Astro for coming up with the >t< symbol which has been in use by mathematicians around the world for approximatley 24 hours now.
Last edited by aristarchusinexile on Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Re: Why APOD editors change my topic and credits

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 pm

'NOW' must have a mathematical symbol because NOW is a pysical reality .. if it is not included in equations math will continue to add up to "maybe".

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat May 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Aris...

It takes me 1 second to say now. Times that by 13.7 billion years. Or the exact figure which nobody knows...Of the age of the universe. How can you put a symbol to a unknown number? Granted there should be a exact figure but know body could ever find it. Sorry

Mark

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 30, 2009 8:51 pm

This supertopic has degenerated into hopeless pseudoscientific babble, and it contains an impossible number of separate discussions.

A lot of distasteful birds could be killed with one free falling stone by shutting it down.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat May 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello aristarchusinexile,

I humbly accept this nomination on the behalf of all the mathematicians in the world. Thank you very much Ladies and Gentlemen, this is truly an honor for me, one that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Hello mark swain,

The serious difficulty is that by the time one says "now" no one knows how many "nows" will have past by during the utterance of the word!
Last edited by astrolabe on Sat May 30, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sat May 30, 2009 9:04 pm

I have learned a lot in this thread. I have made mistakes, which i will never again make .. And i agree shut it down...

Mark

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello All,

I second the motion.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Post by bystander » Sun May 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:This supertopic has degenerated into hopeless pseudoscientific babble, and it contains an impossible number of separate discussions.

A lot of distasteful birds could be killed with one free falling stone by shutting it down.
mark swain wrote:I have learned a lot in this thread. I have made mistakes, which i will never again make .. And i agree shut it down...
astrolabe wrote:I second the motion.
And from another thread:
apodman wrote:Seriously, why do we even bother naming topics? I come to this forum, and I can't tell one set of content from another from the titles. All the threads end up looking the same. Instead of making some kind of effort to comment on the subject at hand, a handful of contributors look at anything only as an opportunity to say what they always say regardless of relevance.
Who am I to argue with the esteemed members of this forum, although I fear, as we lop off the Hydra's head, more will spring up to take it's place.
Dylan Thomas wrote:
  • Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.