What did you see in the sky tonight?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: What did you see in the sky tonight?

Postby Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Ah, well. As I was rather expecting, clouds to the west blocked my view of the setting eclipsed Moon. I got a few shots of the partial phase while it was still above the clouds.

E7_40866p.jpg

I was nicely situated to catch the total phase setting over the Continental Divide, but it never showed up. Would have been a nice shot... when I took this, the red Moon was just above the mountains on the right side of the picture.

E7_40906p.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Postby Fred the Cat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:16 am

Fred the Cat wrote:
Fred the Cat wrote:Just to followup I messed up again. I thought the azimuth needed, for the moon rising, was 65 degrees so I captured the rising moon (camera attached to my 4 inch Celestron this time) coming up the hillside.

When I double-checked my records, it needed to be 69 degrees. Good news is - that's the azimuth when I look at the January 31st full moon. Now if only the weather and everything else goes right that night.

I guess it'll be a fun date in the Gem state!

IMG_1471.JPG

It was just right...

IMG_1475.JPG

Then the clouds came :bang:

Oh, the life of a wannabe astro p :cry: and, I suspect, the good ones too :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feynman's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Postby Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 am

Nice zodiacal light the last few nights. This is about 1.5 hours after sunset, and I could see it from the horizon all the way across the Pleiades overhead and finally intersecting the Milky Way just past that.

E7_40989p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Return to “The Asterisk Café: Discuss Anything Astronomy Related”