Lesser-known views of Uranus

The cosmos at our fingertips.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 am

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/05280840-lesser-known-views-of-uranus-neptune.html wrote:
By Emily Lakdawalla, 2013/05/28

Uranus South Polar Atmospheric Structure

:arrow: Voyager 2's best image of Uranus' south pole,
  • processed to bring out atmospheric structure.
The circular feature is real, but some details are not.

In particular, nearly horizontal lines are artifacts from flatfielding.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Lesser-known views of Uranus

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 am

So... Uranus has sort of a hole in it's bottom, or a place where there could be a hole, if it wasn't plugged up with something.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 am

Beyond wrote:So... Uranus has sort of a hole in it's bottom, or a place where there could be a hole, if it wasn't plugged up with something.
All of this makes the English pronunciation of the name Uranus almost too suggestive. :oops:

Uh. I'd better say it in Swedish instead. That's a lot safer!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 3:12 am

Well... say it in Swedish. We won't know how to pronuncicate it anyway. Is it close to six :?: :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 am

There is nothing sixy about Uranus. It's the seventh planet, you know! :mrgreen:

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu May 30, 2013 5:02 am

I will never get tired of Uranus jokes. I don't care how juvenile or hackneyed they get.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 1:11 pm

With a name like Uranus and being a gaseous planet, there is a certain 'ring' to it about being the butt of many a 'passing' joke. :lol2:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 30, 2013 2:14 pm

geckzilla wrote:I will never get tired of Uranus jokes. I don't care how juvenile or hackneyed they get.
But we know that future scientists will get fed up with all those jokes, prompting them to change the planet's name to Urectum.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm

The things Abominable Snowmen get into. :lol2: It's a good thing I'm Beyond it all. Especially smell-o-vision :!: :!:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 30, 2013 3:14 pm

The things I didn't know about Uranus.

Uranus was the Greek god of the sky. Maybe he was the god of the atmosphere, too?

Maybe the atmosphere even emanated from him? Wonder how he did it?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
But we know that future scientists will get fed up with all those jokes,
prompting them to change the planet's name to Urectum.
So, will they attempt to found a colony there :?: [ Space colonization ]
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:I will never get tired of Uranus jokes. I don't care how juvenile or hackneyed they get.
But we know that future scientists will get fed up with all those jokes, prompting them to change the planet's name to Urectum.
This place has been scoped many times. Amazingly, no polyps

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
But we know that future scientists will get fed up with all those jokes,
prompting them to change the planet's name to Urectum.
So, will they attempt to found a colony there :?: [ Space colonization ]
But, will colonic irrigation be needed?
Margarita

PS. Ann - what IS the Swedish for this poor planet?! I hope you don't think I'm a party-pooper or a little potty, but perhaps we could rename Uranus to, well, rectify the bum deal that was dealt to it from the bottom of the pile when it ceased to be called Georgium Sidus.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Horrible realisation: George the Third said with an Irish accent is, 'George duh Terd'. Poor planet.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

MargaritaMc wrote:Horrible realisation: George the Third said with an Irish accent is, 'George duh Terd'. Poor planet.
Well, here in the Colonies, we consider that pretty accurate.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 pm

Haha, that's a great video, Marg. Thinking back on it, though, the silliest memory I have was in a biology class when my teacher was drawing an earthworm on the board and for some reason abbreviated "clitellum" as "clit." I'm not sure how she could have written that without realizing what a bunch of high school students would think of it, but write it she did and then became very agitated and called us sick for snickering.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 pm

geckzilla wrote:Haha, that's a great video, Marg. Thinking back on it, though, the silliest memory I have was in a biology class when my teacher was drawing an earthworm on the board and for some reason abbreviated "clitellum" as "clit." I'm not sure how she could have written that without realizing what a bunch of high school students would think of it, but write it she did and then became very agitated and called us sick for snickering.
A bunch of high school students, I'd expect snickering even if she had written the whole thing out.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote:Horrible realisation: George the Third said with an Irish accent is, 'George duh Terd'. Poor planet.
Well, here in the Colonies, we consider that pretty accurate.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Yes, he wasn't at his brightest over taxation and the Colonies, was he? Porphyria probably didn't make his thinking process more acute.
Margarita

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 am

MargaritaMc wrote:
[George the Third] wasn't at his brightest over taxation and the Colonies, was he?
Porphyria probably didn't make his thinking process more acute.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria wrote:
<<The porphyrias are a group of rare inherited or acquired disorders of certain enzymes that normally participate in the production of porphyrins and heme. They manifest with either neurological complications or skin problems, or occasionally both. The term "porphyria" is derived from the Greek πορφύρα, porphyra, meaning "purple pigment". The name is likely to have been a reference to the purple discolouration of feces and urine when exposed to light in patients during an attack.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:50 am

neufer wrote:
MargaritaMc wrote:
[George the Third] wasn't at his brightest over taxation and the Colonies, was he?
Porphyria probably didn't make his thinking process more acute.
<<The porphyrias are a group of rare inherited or acquired disorders of certain enzymes that normally participate in the production of porphyrins and heme. They manifest with either neurological complications or skin problems, or occasionally both. The term "porphyria" is derived from the Greek πορφύρα, porphyra, meaning "purple pigment". The name is likely to have been a reference to the purple discolouration of feces and urine when exposed to light in patients during an attack.>>
Sussex University
The Royal Family's Toxic Time-Bomb

An international hunt for regal remains, spearheaded by Professor John Röhl, has finally uncovered the truth behind the 'purple secret' of the royal family. The amazing story is the subject of a paperback book, which has just been published by Corgi.*

John's research has proved that for hundreds of years the royal houses of Europe have had a toxic time-bomb running through their veins. Generations of symptoms, from lameness to blistered skin to mental derangement, can all be traced back to one disease, an inherited disorder called porphyria.

For years, debates about the royal porphyria have raged between medical professionals and historians. As far back as the 1960s, the psychiatrists Macalpine and Hunter claimed that the disease was inextricably linked with the crown of England. They argued that the 'mad' George III had actually been suffering from porphyria, citing the tell-tale symptom of purple urine as proof.
* Some MORE Royal Corgis
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

neufer

Lectu mihi Mars

Post by neufer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatology wrote:
<<Eschatology (from the Greek ἔσχατος/ἐσχάτη/ἔσχατον, meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", first used in English around 1550) is a part of theology, physics, philosophy, and futurology concerned with what are believed to be the final events of history, the ultimate destiny of humanity — commonly referred to as the "end of the world" or "end time".>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatology wrote:
[img3="Reproduction of the original manuscript of Mozart's canon "Difficile Lectu". The words "lectu mihi mars" were intended to be heard as "Leck du mich im Arsch", for which a relatively polite English rendering is "kiss my arse"."]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... eLectu.PNG[/img3]
<<Scatology or coprology is the study of feces. The word derives from the Greek σκώρ meaning "feces".

In literature, "scatological" is a term to denote the literary trope of the grotesque body. It is used to describe works that make particular reference to excretion or excrement, as well as to toilet humor. A common example is John Dryden's MacFlecknoe, a poem that ridicules Dryden's contemporary, Thomas Shadwell. Dryden refers to him as "Thomas Sh--," deliberately evoking scatological imagery. In German literature in particular is a wealth of scatological texts and references, which includes such books as Collofino's Non Olet.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart displayed scatological humor in his letters and a few recreational compositions. This material has long been a puzzle for Mozart scholarship. One view held by scholars deals with the scatology by seeking an understanding of the role of it in Mozart's family, his society and his times, while another view holds that such humor was the result of an "impressive list" of psychiatric conditions from which Mozart is claimed to have suffered.>>
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:06 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria wrote:Despite the lack of direct evidence, the notion that George III (and other members of the royal family) suffered from porphyria has achieved such popularity that many forget that it is merely a hypothesis. In 2010 an exhaustive analysis of historical records concluded that the porphyria claim was based on spurious and selective interpretation of contemporary medical and historical sources.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

owlice wrote:
Despite the lack of direct evidence, the notion that George III (and other members of the royal family) suffered from porphyria has achieved such popularity that many forget that it is merely a hypothesis. In 2010 an exhaustive analysis of historical records concluded that the porphyria claim was based on spurious and selective interpretation of contemporary medical and historical sources.
http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/Gone_Maggie_Gone wrote: <<At the beginning of The Simpsons' episode "Gone, Maggie, Gone", the family is together trying to view a solar eclipse. Homer and Bart, however, get into a fight, causing Homer to crush his camera obscura device, which every member of the family has to view the eclipse. Marge, out of pity, gives Homer her device, leaving her as the only one not able to see the eclipse. Not wanting to miss out, she looks at the eclipse directly, which causes damage to her eyes.

Lisa Simpson discovers a series of messages that could lead her to a coveted jewel. She gets help from Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy, who says that a group of high-ranking Freemasons led by Benjamin Franklin, George Washington and King George III, staged a phony war of independence to cover their search for the gem. But the Freemasons (led by Mr. Burns) discover her plans and try to get the jewel before she does. Meanwhile, Homer tries to keep Maggie's disappearance a secret from the temporarily-blinded Marge. Mr. Burns and Waylon Smithers, Jr. trap Lisa, Skinner, & Comic Book Guy under the SPRINGFIELD sign, the largest RING in Springfield. Lisa tells Burns to let her live because only she can solve the mystery. Lisa sees an anagram on the individual letters of RING, and she deduces that she herself, is the Jewel.>>
Art Neuendorffer